Any other scuba divers out there?

Options
stralachlan
stralachlan Member Posts: 40
edited 3. Jun 2009, 14:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

I'm still waiting on my latest Xray results to see how far the OA in my knee has progressed, but my GP prescribed co-dydramol for the pain in the meantime. It works, but I wanst sure I should be diving as I was feeling spaced out on them so I got in touch with a diving doc who replied;

"I am afraid one of the important ingredients in your painkiller is an opiate called dihydrocodeine and so absolutely contraindicated in diving. Its half life in the body is 4 hours so it will take around 24 hours for the drug to be almost completely eliminated from your body after your last dose and so you can dive with relative safety.

I would advise you to discuss with your doctor an alternative you can replace this drug with from at least 24 hours before you plan to dive, ask him not to prescribe medication which has mind altering effects such as drowsiness, dizziness, euphoria, etc or that alter the cardiovascular status such as altering heart rate and blood pressure."

Does anyone know of any pain killers out there which might be worth discussing with my GP??

Scuba diving is my main hobby, and is one of the things I can do without my knee hurting. But I'm not just pootling around looking at fish off a beach in shallow water. I'm into some seriously deep wrecks (80m stuff) breathing trimix gases (a blend of helium/nitrogen/oxygen). I have enough to cope with on a dive worrying about nitrogen narcosis, oxygen toxicity, the bends and generally trying to avoid dying without the extra effects of meds.

Can anyone help?

Mary

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mary

I am sorry I cannot answer your questions regarding meds but I googled scuba diving and arthritis and noticed that there are quite a few forums. Perhaps you could pose your question on there. Some of them are american sites so perhaps they prescribe different drugs or under another name. Anyway, I found it quite interesting and this is from someone who would never scuba dive!! I can hardly swim!!

Once you get the result of your xrays perhaps you could ask for a steroid injection into the knee. This can give relief for quite a time - we are all different so this varies.

Hope you find some solution soon.

Best wishes,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stralachlan
    Options
    Hi Elna, thanks for your response. I am already on a diving forum, and I know there are a few divers out there coping with knee replacements, or diving on meds unsanctioned :oops:

I was disappointed cause my GP knows I'm a diver and didnt say anything about the codeine.

It can depend on the type of diving you do - I'd be more prepared to test the limits on shallow dives than I would on deep dives.

I do feel though that trying to maintain my main hobby (and therefore whole lifestyle) is pushing me towards either surgical options or at the other end of the scale - alternative medicine. Perhaps I should also ask how effective acupuncture can be, and also pain clinics at helping with the emotional side. I think I could probably continue without pain killers at present if I can handle the general frustration and depression I'm feeling. The pain itself itsnt too bad if I dont walk much - its just really getting me down.

At this point I just want to be able to ask informed questions of my GP at the next appointment. Steroid injections is something I will ask about.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    You could try acupuncture. I have found the after effects of acupuncture relaxing and I felt very happy and tired. Unfortunately for me it did not give me any lasting break from pain. Attending a pain clinic can be very beneficial. Do you think any physio would help your knee? Reflexology is relaxing too.

If you called the AC helpline they may be able to help you. They could also let you know about the publications they can send out to you or you can download them if any would be of use.

All this is bound to get you down mentally. It does take time to get over the shock and put things into perspective. We all know about that on here to a greater or lesser degree. At least you have said at the moment the pain is tolerable if you are not on your feet too much and you could probably manage without painkillers for the time being. That is a positive then, isn't it?

Chin up, I am sure you will find a way to continue with your diving.

Best wishes,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options
    I seem to remember some research info from a year or three back that suggested divers that frequented the deeper parts of our seas can be inflicted with arther, or was that frequency of dives?

Apologies, I am very unsure of my facts. I seem to remember some connection between the forces and North Sea divers working on the oil rigs or was this again to do with frequency of deeper dives using mixed air?

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Hiya,
    Used to dive myself many years ago but had to give up because of RA etc. I don't know of any of the more "powerful" analgesics that are safe to dive with. As you say there is enough to think of without being "spaced" at the same time. I wouldn't even dive if I'd been drinking the night before because of the hangover etc. That used to go down well if we went on a driving trip, the rest of the club would go for a few and I was the "designated" driver! Story of my life!!
    Kate

Have you ever dived at Stoney Cove?
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    hi
    know nothing bout diving but there was a thread several months ago by Ron and dihyrocodeine which might help. It gave me right headaches so stopped it....doesnt sound ideal for diving....its bad enough for some on dry land, hope you get to the bottom of it (no pun intended) good luck
  • stralachlan
    Options
    airwave wrote:
    I seem to remember some research info from a year or three back that suggested divers that frequented the deeper parts of our seas can be inflicted with arther, or was that frequency of dives?

Apologies, I am very unsure of my facts. I seem to remember some connection between the forces and North Sea divers working on the oil rigs or was this again to do with frequency of deeper dives using mixed air?

8) Its a grin, honest!

I think you are thinking of bone necrosis - they still test for it in sat divers. Technical divers (which is what I am - somewhere between your average recreational air diver, and full blown saturation diving) arent supposed to be at risk. However, bone necrosis due to a different cause is what got me here (an OA sufferer) in the first place!!!!

Underwater my OA doesnt give me any problems except my knee occaisionally jamming depending on the fin kick I'm using. But I've always been able to unjam it. And above water the extra weight doesnt seem to hurt my knee anymore than it does normally for some strange reason. But then I kit up as close to the entry as possible and then gravity takes over. Getting out using ladders I struggle as I cant lead on the injured leg, but most good dive boats have electric lifts these days :lol:

To answer another post - yes I have dived at Stoney, but very infrequently. I often go to Chepstow quarry which has been around about 4 years now and is very close to my house and deeper - 76m to the bottom - good for keeping skills going over the winter. I'm sure spending hours in freezing cold water (about 5degC in the winter) doesnt do me any good at all.