grinding in the neck - chiropractor?

Options
emmarose33
emmarose33 Member Posts: 86
edited 11. Nov 2012, 09:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,
Hope everyone isw enjoying the sunshine! My boyfriend and baby have had rotavirus which causes a bad tummy upset so I am stuck home looking after them. . . although I may leave them to it a bit later on and get some fresh air.
Recently I have been feeling/ hearing this unpleasent grinding in my neck whenever I move it. Also very limited movement. Lots of pain.
I have searched this online and it says you need to see a chiropractor - is this ok when you have RA? Also - could the misalignment in my neck be caused by inflammation? Because surely a chirporctor couldn't fix this.
It's reaaaally annoying me!! I have to turn my whole body if I want to look behind me!!
Thanks guys,
Emma xx

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello,
    I too have OA in my neck and lumber spine. I take painkillers and exercises chosen for me by a physio. Have you seen your GP?

I would be very careful about seeing anyone you find online or advertising, as you don't know what you may be getting and the neck is such a delicate place to treat. Ask your GP if he knows anyone, or maybe friends who you know who have had effective treatment for a recommendation. I'm sorry to be so negative, and I sometimes think I might try it! How about trying accupuncture first, as studies seem to show some good results and I don't think it is so rough,
    Good luck and I hope you soon feel better.
    Love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Emma,
    They say they can....... But be careful as they can also make it a lot worse. The grinding I have had in my knees and back for years and you sort of get used to it....... If you make sure with a gp that its safe and only go and see one who does the pressure point thing as I saw one years ago who did the yank and twist thing :shock: and he laid me up for 8 weeks and lost me 2 jobs! I was a self employed relief milker and the cows couldn't wait till i was fixed up again. :wink: just be careful. take care Cris
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Emma

I have been told that the grinding/creaking sensations do not mean anything bad - just annoying. I have them when I move my head from side to side. I do exercises everyday, as physio suggested to me, moving my head up and down and from side to side and then ear to shoulder, other ear to shoulder and this over the weeks seems to have made an improvement for me. Sorry no other advice that I can give you.

Hope you feel much better soon,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Options
    emmarose33 wrote:
    It's reaaaally annoying me!! I have to turn my whole body if I want to look behind me!!

I know what you mean by having to turn your whole body. I have had this grinding sound in my neck and also a sound like a squirting sound (maybe not quite a squirting sound but very fast creaking sound) but just put it down to my condition its been like this for a while now but it certainly does your head in when you can hear it.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    I would suggest you see your GP first, as they can arrange a neck x-ray before you have ANY treatment, to check that they will not do any harm rather than good.

Mine referred me to the physio for my neck problems, once the x-ray came back ok, and the exercises have really helped. I also got some neck & shoulder massage sessions from the Physio dept which really helped to loosen up my shoulders and neck.

best of luck!

PS - I have some evidence of OA in my neck on the facet joints, and I was told this is 'normal' for someone of my age (41) and is the reason for many of the clunks and clicks I hear.
  • marie48
    marie48 Member Posts: 189
    Options
    I do have a lot of grinding and creaking noises in my knees, jaws and the most worrying in my neck. I have been re-assured by members of this forum that there are loads of us with the same problems. Mine does not hurt, but it is a nuisance and a feeling that the bits need oiling. The student physio told me to warm my neck or take painkillers so that I can have more movement when doing neck exercises. Wrong advice, I did my neck exercise this morning after using my heating pad and of course, I turned my neck round too much and have strained a muscle and now I am in pain. Can you trust the professional!! It is like you want to do some work, take your pain killers and get on with it and when the pain killers wear out, then you suffer the consequences. I never expected to get this kind of advice from the student physio, no doubt I will tell what I think of her advice.
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    Mine referred me to the physio for my neck problems, once the x-ray came back ok, and the exercises have really helped. I also got some neck & shoulder massage sessions from the Physio dept which really helped to loosen up my shoulders and neck.

It is amazing how they losen your neck joints up with a massage and its relaxing also :lol: When i had this last the physio said that she could feel the tension and lack of movement in my neck ligaments.
  • katekelly
    katekelly Member Posts: 975
    Options
    Hi Emma Rose
    My best friend is a chiropractor and she often treats me but WILL NOT touch my neck. Apparantly with RA you can get an "unstable neck" and so the neck should not be treated by any form of manipulation. Go to see your GP first and If the GP is of no help ask your Rheumy for some treatment that is appropriate.
  • tonywilson
    tonywilson Member Posts: 8
    Options
    from my experience of OA in the neck and spine

for neck...

manipulation = no !!!!

docs / physio = yes

acupunture = yes

heat = yes
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi the first physio I saw about my neck problems, wouldn't do anything until I had the results from an MRI scan. She was worried about doing more damaged than already was. Its such a delicate part of the body. Love Sue
  • june212
    june212 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    yes! my sister once have that neck grinding which really scream me a lot for I have a pain phobia and once I can feel that someone got hurt so much I cannot afford to just look at it,ofcourse I will look for cure, but since the hospital here are very far and expensive that's why I looked for alternative, Edited according to rule 2 of the forum terms and conditions

Jean123
  • june212
    june212 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Yes it's best to see a chiropractor when you have a neck or any problem in your body parts. [LINK DELETED] method is the best chiropractic in that case. I'm sure everything will be solved, just try it.

Link deleted as it contravenes the Forum Terms & Conditions. Please note it is not permitted to advertise on the forum.
    Moderator EH
  • nanasue
    nanasue Member Posts: 465
    Options
    I've had the same thing for several weeks and it was driving me nuts. I sometimes see an osteopath and I know she uses Bio****ze gel/spray on me so I bought some, bit pricey, but it did help a bit then I saw a freeze spray in W*****son for £2 and it's unbeleievably good, if I spray it on my neck at night when I go to bed my neck still feels ok when I get up in the morning. I also use it on my lower back, I have OA in both these places and painkillers don't really help that much, I also have RA in most of my other joints but it doesn't help much on them but I take painkillers, anti-inflammatories and MTX for that so I think I've got myself sorted now except for when I have a flare up. Hope that this might be of help to you. All the best

Sue x
  • BarryVictor
    BarryVictor Bots Posts: 5
    Options
    Some chiropractor do neck adjustment it is one of the dangerous part of chiropractic so you should also be careful in choosing a chiropractor.

Link removed by Moderator, contravening rules re advertising
    YEH