Hairloss with Methotrexate experiences.

Options
daisychain
daisychain Member Posts: 29
edited 1. Jun 2009, 11:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi,

Have been taking Methotrexate for 7 weeks now, thought I was doing okay and coping with side effects of upset tummy and headachey feeling however I have just discovered that I have completely lost a large patch of hair just above the nape of my neck on one side. I had been aware of an itchy feeling but not noticed any hair on my pillow of hair coming out in my hands.

Anyway, I have just been taking 5mg folic acid the day before mtx but I am now going to start taking it every day other than mtx day . I am due to see Rheumatologist this week so I will mention then and check folic acid position ( I know from this forum that many take it very frequently, certainly more than once a week) .

I am worried that I will lose more hair, this is not just thinning but complete partial hair loss, luckily when my hair is down the bald patch is covered. Has anyone else had this probem , what pattern did it follow and did it settle down ? Incidentally I am on 10mg mtx tablets. I know this is not very serious in the great scheme of things but I am anxious about it.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi daisychain

Bumped up a past thread for you on metho and hair loss.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • daisychain
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Elna,

Thanks for the thread, have had a quick look and it is helpful .

Daisychain
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Daisychain, I am on MXT injections, I have to say while on the tablets my hair loss was quite bad, when I went onto injections, the problem was still there but it has settled with some hair falling out when washing and brushing hair love Jaspercatxx
  • daisychain
    Options
    jaspercat wrote:
    Hi Jaspercat, Thanks for your reply, I will have to see how I go with incresed folic but have to say for all the good the mtx is doing me at the moment ( can't see much improvement in my joints) I won't be staying on it if my hair falls out at present rate ! Kind Regards
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Hi.

thought since this thread had been resurrected I would update you on how my hair is now.

When my MTX injections were increased from 20mg to 22.5, and then to 25mg my hair really suffered. I was getting really concerned, and didn't know who to ask, as I needed the MTX for my joints.

I had always had really thick hair which needed thinning by the hairdresser to be manageable. This all changed and she didnt need to thin at all.

The hairdresser I go to suggested that we try a different style. I had my (long, about 6 inches below shoulder length) hair cut to a length which is just touching my shoulders, and I stopped wearing any fasteners which pulled the hair at the roots (I don't use those elastic bands at all now)

I could still fasten my hair back with a clip on bad days, and I tried to wear my hair loose more often. I also was less brutal when brushing, to avoid pulling too much out.

I can now report back that I have found that my hair is becoming more thick again, and although I have had to change shampoo a couple of times to find the right one again, my hair is in much better condition than it was, and that is on 22.5mg of MTX, with 5mg floic acid 6 days a week (not MTX day).

hope that helps!

so
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    ok - who spotted my deliberate mistake then?! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

meant to reply to the 'help my hair is falling out' thread - so that is where you will find what I wrote earlier in the year!

sorry! :oops: :oops: