here's a good one!

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 1. Jun 2009, 04:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
My OH told me today that one of the directors of the company he used to work for pulled him to one side the month before we were due to be married. He then tried to convince him not to marry me because I couldn't bring anything to the relationship as I couldn't work very much. Luckily my OH ignored him and we got married in March.
I couldn't believe it, it made me so upset as I've just had to give up work permanently and I had an operation in April which has meant that my OH has been doing the cooking and washing up whilst I recover.
In the words of my sister 'what a wally!'

Comments

• eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    In my words Jenzie, not a wally but blatant discrimination, would he have pulled another colleague aside and said the same thing? Nope. I'd be writing that down if I was your hubby. That sort of thing makes me :x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I can't believe how people can still hold views like this!!! Its the 21st century, for heavens sake!

If that guy had an accident or illness and he became disabled, would he expect his partner (if hes got one) to just shrug her shoulders and walk away with someone else?

What is a 'disabled person' anyway? We all have secret health issues and mental problems that stop us living as we might choose.
    An old family GP once told me, when I was younger and had problems, that the trouble is we all expect 'TV commercial lives' with no problems illness or grief, and thats not real life. Your o/hs boss sounds like one of those people. Maybe he'll grow up one day. :?

Sorry to go on, Love Sue
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Bit of a shock isn't it? I know my x mother in law told the x to change the locks as soon as he said we were parting company. For some reason it really shocked me, in those few seconds saw everything very differently. Still thank goodness no more Christmas's there ever again (whooopeee).
    People like the chaps at your husbands works will sadly always be there - their loss. (& of course they will never ever get sick)........funny how things come around.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Oh Jenzie, this reminds me of a conversation when my husband was told in front of me that 'it was good of him to take me out', when I said 'well actually I'm not a dog y'know.' the reply was 'Your husband is a good man and not many men would've stuck by you now you're an invalid.' I angrily retorted that 'I do contribute to the marriage.' but was still told that 'It's a wonder he stays with you.' :roll:

This was a conversation with my own Mother :shock: and it still hurts now :cry: because deep down I agree with her.

She was right with one thing though - he is a good man in fact he's a wonderful man :D and I know I'm lucky to have him. :wink:

Ignore the hurtful comments, if you can, he's not worth it.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I'm sorry your Mum hurt you like that. I had a rather different experience; my Mother-in-Law, burst into tears after our Wedding and thanked me for marrying her 'baby son'. She said she never thought she'd see the day someone would 'take him on'. :shock: .
    My poor husband - I've never seen him look so embaressed!!! :)
    Personally, I think it was the wine talking!!!

You are right, though, life is too short to take badly ment comments to heart. Love SUe
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Luckily he's been made redundant so never has to go there again. Hooray!
    He's also got another job which is a lot nearer my friends and family. I can't wait to get out of this place!!
  • heather1
    heather1 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    How awful!!!

What a thoughly dispicable person this man is!

Good on your OH that they didn't take any notice.
    If they had said it to me i would have punched him. Not that i condone violence

It is no wonder this has upset you but don't waste anymore energy being upset because of him.

Just think how sad and pathetic he is.