Writing problems

Options
woodbine
woodbine Member Posts: 140
Hi,

I have OA in my thumb and fingers, and also some problems with my wrist. I find writing extremely painful, and am finding it increasingly difficult to write legibly due to the stiffnes and pain. Has anyone out ther found a pen that helps - I've tried a Pen Again, which I Find more comfortable than a standard pen, but very difficult to write neatly with, especially if I'm not writing on a perfectly even surface - eg on paper balanced on my knee.
Also, has anyone with this problem tried a splint and found it helpful - if so, which sort please?

Naomi

Comments

• suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    my o/t made me a pen grip, it basically consists of a piece of the mouldable plastic, about 1cm wide which goes round my palm, it has velcro to attach it together. then a curly bit of the same plastic that the pen slips into, sorry hard to descrive, but it means i don't have to grip the pen at all.
    i wish there was some way of putting a photo up to show you.
    ok so my writing isn't perfect but alot better than it would be holding a pen!
  • harmony
    harmony Member Posts: 37
    Options
    woodbine wrote:
    Hi,

I have OA in my thumb and fingers, and also some problems with my wrist. I find writing extremely painful, and am finding it increasingly difficult to write legibly due to the stiffnes and pain. Has anyone out ther found a pen that helps - I've tried a Pen Again, which I Find more comfortable than a standard pen, but very difficult to write neatly with, especially if I'm not writing on a perfectly even surface - eg on paper balanced on my knee.
    Also, has anyone with this problem tried a splint and found it helpful - if so, which sort please?

Naomi
    Hi Naomi,
    I got a push on cover from my disability shop, 3 for a few £'s. I found that helps.
    Harmony :)
  • clickysticks
    clickysticks Member Posts: 14
    Options
    hi

I don't know if it will help you but I have changed to a calligraphy pen! The chunkier barrels make it easier for me to grip the pen and because the ink flows smoothly it seems to help.

When I use the calligraphy pens my handwriting is actually better because i write really slowly (waiting for the ink to dry as I'm left-handed!). It's not particularly useful for jotting down quick notes but has helped with writing Christmas cards!

haze x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    bit late reading this i use pens with soft touch barrel as joints hurt when holding it. must admit some days writing looks like spider crawled over page but keep doing hand exercises they do help and taking meds lol good luck hope u find pen that suits
    val
  • woodbine
    woodbine Member Posts: 140
    Options
    valval wrote:
    bit late reading this i use pens with soft touch barrel as joints hurt when holding it. must admit some days writing looks like spider crawled over page but keep doing hand exercises they do help and taking meds lol good luck hope u find pen that suits

Thanks everyone. I now have a thumb splint from OT which makes writing a little less painful - though, unfortunately no neater :lol:

I'll have to get hold of some of those penholders - I already find that it's less pinful writing with a thicker pen than a thin one.

Naomi