ill health retirement

Options
lesleygraham
lesleygraham Member Posts: 91
edited 19. Jun 2009, 17:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks
I've been on sick leave from work for months due to RA. Occupational health has recently mentioned ill health retirement (I'm only 40). Has anyone else retired on these grounds and would I get a lump sum or pension. I've been in my job 8 years and work part time, term time only. I suppose I would then go onto incapacity benefit.
Any info would be welcomed.
Thanks
Les

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,446
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Lesley
    My ex m-in-law did this and she got a lump sum and a pension. I think you can choose how you want it split. She was social services so should be similar.
    They might make up some years for you - they did for her (she had loads of years' service) as it pays them to have rid of you, stop paying sick pay and also they can replace you permanently. (No offense, but it IS why they do it :( )If you have a union it always pays to take a wee bit of advice.
    You are probably doing the right thing if you really can't see you getting back into work for a long time.
    Big desion though
    Take care
    Toni x
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    Options
    My work recently offered this to me, I'm 33 have been with them 6 years and only been off 5 weeks when they offered it. I asked what I'd get which they are finding out for me but I'm not going to take it anyway, I'm just messing with them and wasting their time because I know they won't have a leg to stand on.

The OT who assessed me said due to the severity of my OA and spinal stenosis is must be expected I'd be likely to have time off if I had a fall. This is why I'm off now, I'm due back next week and I don't think they are too happy. They have always been supportive with me but there is no chance I'm letting them try that with me when I know their have been people off for like a year in my work not be asked this.

First day back I'll be visiting the most militant member of my Union with this. He's going to go t*ts up when he hears this! As said by Toni, it's to get rid of you, I'm not stupid, I'm not walking away from my pension for a total of 8 weeks off, I'd take them to a tribunal first. I'd also add, on a bad day I mentioned to my manager I wonder why I'm continuing to work when I'm so bad and I think they've jumped on that. If I didn't say it, I don't think they'd have offered it. But my manager phoned me after the pain clinic to see how I got on and seemed surprised when I said it worked wonders for me and I felt great and was dying to get back :D
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    I suppose I would then go onto incapacity benefit. Any info would be welcomed. Thanks Les

If you are ill with RA then you could be eligible for Disability Living Allowance, (DLA). While they say that it is available whether you work or not, it tends to be more difficult to get if you are actually working, as they seem to view it that if you are well enough to work you are not that ill. Worth a look.

Click on http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10011731 and you can claim online. I would suggest that you download and printout the form and consider your answers to the questions carefully. Get help from your union or Citizens Advice if you are unsure about anything.

As it says, Claim straight away - if you delay you may lose benefit.
    e055.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Hello Les

It was suggested that I retire on ill health though I had a few more years service than you.

I did have my service enhanced because of ill health which was very helpful. I was also able to claim incapacity benefit, so that together with the pension is a useful sum each month.

My pension is also uprated each April because it is ill health retirement rather than having to wait until I'm 65.

I was also awarded low rate care for DLA but nothing for mobility.

One thing I would add though, please think very carefully before opting for this. Are there any adaptations they can make for you so that your job or similar is easier for you? They have to make this assessment under the Disability Discrimination Act so don't make IHR your first option.

Retirement at 40 might not be the best thing for you psychologically so please consider that aspect as well.

Whatever your decision, I wish you well. Arthur is so debilitating and it does rob us of the best years.

Take care.

Patrick

oops forgot to add, I got a lump sum too which I used to pay outstanding debts and other commitments (but alas not my mortgage!). Be aware that when you apply for Incapacity, DWP will ask you to account for this even though it's not taxed.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I've just this week finished working for the Council. I had 6 years service and I was offered a lump sum and a smallish pension or a larger lump sum and a smaller pension. I've taken the larger lump sum and the small pension. After working out what I need to spend and what our joint income is going to be when we retire, I'm 54, so retire at 65, it seemed the best option as the lump sum will pay for some work we have to have done on the house, without us having to touch our savings.

Still not certain thats right, but the full pension was only tiny as I worked part-time. Must admit money isn't something I'm wonderful with! :):):) . Love Sue