injection into the knee

Options
pauline33
pauline33 Member Posts: 2
edited 19. Jun 2009, 13:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi i am new to the forum, just joined i was wondering if anyone has ever had the injection in the knee for the pain and does if give relief,i have got arthritis in both knees.any tips welcome.

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi just wanted to welcome u, have not got to the stage of needing injections yet. but sure u will get some good advice and help :) good luck hope it works 4 u val
    val
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Pauline hello, and welcome to the forum. I had the injections you mention, and I`m afraid they did nothing for me, BUT I know many people who found them very helpful, albeit for a short time.

I had a TKR 2 years ago, and it was a great success. Complete mobility and totally pain free quite quickly.

Prior to this, when the pain used to get really bad, I found that 20 minutes with a cold pack, followed by 20 minutes with a hot water bottle helped. Still does on other places where Arthur rears his ugly head.

I would say go for the injections. You could well be one of the lucky ones......Ange.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Pauline,

Welcome to the site I hope you find it helpful.

I have had a few of the knee jabs and in other bits as well. Sometimes they work, sometimes they help and sometimes they don't seem to make much difference. They used to be very effective in my 20's but back then it could be they were a different composition of drug and also the oa wasn't as bad. The last lot in my knees were a year ago and they did help get the bend back with less pain. I hope you find them helpful for you. Take care, Cris
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,429
    Options
    HI Pauline
    and welcome to the forum from me too!
    You have found a good place for help and support.
    I haven't had any jabs into toints yet, but I HAVE heard people on here swear by them!
    You take care
    Toni x
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hello Pauline, and welcome, I had some fluid drained off my knee last year and was also given an injection into the knee it really helped me but I had also had an all over jab into my botty so not sure if it was just a combination of the both but I'd say its worth having

debs
  • emmarose33
    emmarose33 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    pauline33 wrote:
    hi i am new to the forum, just joined i was wondering if anyone has ever had the injection in the knee for the pain and does if give relief,i have got arthritis in both knees.any tips welcome.
    I have had fluid drained from my knee's and steroid injections in them.
    If it's a steroid injection you're talking about (assume it is) then they are MAGIC. Can't remember it hurting too much, and lasted about 6 weeks, when I mean 'lasted' I mean it felt like I didn't have arthritis in my knee's at all during this time.
    Good luck - go for it!
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Pauline

Welcome to the forum. I would echo what emmarose has said. I have had the fluid drained from my knee, followed by a steroid injection, and it was very effective for about six weeks, but then wore off. There is a limit to the number of injections you can have in a year, I think.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Pauline

Just wanted to echo the welcome to the forum :) I haven't had injections in my knee but have had them in feet and ankles and they did help a lot. One woman that I knew had one and it made a huge difference to her so hope it's the same for you.

Love
    Vonski x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Pauline,

I've had steroid injections into my knees before my TKR's and they were absolutely brilliant - they calmed the RA down in my knees for 8 months at a time and the effect was almost immediate. sometimes the insertion of the needle is a little uncomfortable but well worth the long term effect, for me anyway :)

Hope this helps.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • mike77
    mike77 Member Posts: 879
    Options
    Hi Pauline,

I had a streriod injection into my Hip and it was great, he told me some get a month and some others get 3 months , I thought I was one of the ones who was going to be 3 months How wrong was I , just got a month but hey it was a month with no pain :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D , now I am going to see the surgeon next week hope he says right now the knee and other hip then neck . he back draw the line there my spine is precious to me. but I would saygo go go go go go for it , youll wonder why you never did it before.

Take care MIke R & Hazel & mike JR :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    Mike R & Hazel & MikeJR