hospital checkups

Options
godzilla
godzilla Member Posts: 6
edited 26. Jun 2009, 00:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have just been told that i will need to take Leflunomide as this is a long term medication. Will i need checkups for the rest of my life?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Godzilla
    Welcome to the forum from me!
    This is a brilliant site and people will be able to answer almost every query you might have!
    I do beleive that you will need regular monitoring although some of it might be by a rheumy nurse not always the rheumy.
    I see the rheumatologist every 6 months, but amd on hydroxy so otheres might be able to give you more info.
    Take care for now
    Toni x
  • breane
    breane Member Posts: 392
    Options
    Hi Godzilla,Welcome from me too. :P Not sure about the meds you are on but I'm now on Hydroxy,Omeprazole and steroids and have been told I will see the Rheumy consultant every 6 months and the Rheumy nurse every three months.Not sure if all Rheumys work to this schedule though.Other members will be able to tell you how often they are seen by the Rheumy and it will give you an idea of the general timetable. Hope all goes well for you. Breane. :)
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    I took leflunomide for ages (stopped a while ago). I think you have blood tests fairly frequently initially but then it goes to once a month and think it can even go longer if you're tolerating it (but don't quote me!).
    Its better to keep an eye on your bloods as leflunomide can upset your liver. It made mine become enlarged but I did have glandular fever and whooping cough at the same time so I came off the drug for a few weeks to give everything a break then went back on it again. But I had been on it for a few years when my liver when funky - its ok now though!

Hope yours works well for you.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Just popped in to say HELLO Welcome to the site. I have OA, so don't have the medicatons you do, but just wanted to welcome you! :) Love Sue
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI Godzilla & welcome to the forum!

I have RA and have just started taking Leflunomide, which has been added to the other meds I take (Methotrexate Injections, Ibuprofen, Folic Acid and also meds for other conditions).

I had my Leflunomide prescribed by my GP after having seen the Rheumatology nurse. I see the Rheumatology team about 4 times a year if things are as now, usually split between the consultant and the Rheumatology nurse. If things get worse then I may see them more often, but appointments are hard to get!

When starting the Leflunomide I was told that I had to have regular blood tests done by my GP practice nurse. They are every 2 weeks for the first 6 weeks, and then every month if the first tests are ok. I also have to have regular blood pressure tests as Lef can raise your BP (and I don't need this as I already am treated for high BP!)

I can get all my bloods done at the GP surgery, and I usually get the results from there too. If I have a problem I can ring the rheumatology nurse helpline and leave a message. They ring back if they need to talk to me.

hope that helps a bit - but do bear in mind that every Consultant and hospital work a bit differently, and things seem to be done differently in different areas - who knows why!
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I am on this and i have check ups once a month they say it will be longer in between my check ups later on if i tolerate this. i am still trying it and had no probs so far.joanne
    Joanne