Overdoing things!

Options
sharmaine
sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
edited 28. Jun 2009, 11:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
We had a surprise party for our son last weekend and it was lovely. Before that our lounge, stairs, landing and dining room was decorated. I paid the price this week - it was just too much all at once. I've done very little this week because I was shattered. I kept falling asleep and all my joints ached. Feeling better today.

I often forget that I am no longer able to do the things I used too. I was in agony at the party (but didn't tell anyone). It was worth the discomfort just to see the smile on my son's face!!

I don't think I'll be hosting anymore parties! Having OA in both knees is hard work at the best of times.

My body says no but this brain of mine keeps planning stuff!

Lesson: Don't overdo things!

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, You make me feel lazy! :(:lol: Sounds like the best reason in the world to overdo things. :D In the years to come you wont remember the pain, just the great time you all had. :lol:

Now for a few weeks of well deserved rest and you'll be fine. Let the others look afer you :D . Was that a cup of tea you wanted? Can they hear you, better shout a bit louder. :roll: :lol::lol::lol:
    Love Sue
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine

It is difficult not to overdo things sometimes, isn't it? I also have OA in my knees and one ankle. I have to try to pace myself and accept that I can't do as much as I used to, but it's not easy. Those were the days when I didn't have to think about it, and I was on my feet most of the day working as a teacher. Maybe that is what caused my knees to wear out !

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine,

...........and for me Leason 2...... remeber leason one! :lol:

Hope the pain soon goes back to normal and as Sue said sometimes the pain is worth it. glad he had a good time. Take care, Cris
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    know what u mean easy when having good day :D to do to much and pay 4 it 4 a week :cry: after no matter what good intentions u have :) live and learn (might one day)
    val
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Its good to hear your son enjoyed his party and sorry to hear you in pain my brain is very busy and keeps planning the body diagrees and i get frustrated sometimes hope you well soon joanne
    Joanne
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    Its good to hear your son enjoyed his party and sorry to hear you in pain my brain is very busy and keeps planning the body diagrees and i get frustrated sometimes hope you well soon joanne

Glad a good time was had by all. At least pay back was worth it then :lol: I think its what we all tend to do. Get on with what we want and worry about the effects later. For me it is certainly the hardest part of having RA, the fact that is has radically reduced what I can do.
    Can I have a piece of leftover birthday cake?? :lol:
    Gillx
  • valval
    Options
    if anything like our house no birthday cake left? :( getting things done is great 4 moral u feel better 4 seeing results makes it all worth while. have to plan and cut grass on good day but feel so much better when it done wont let arth.win :D
    val
  • nick55
    nick55 Member Posts: 119
    Options
    the trouble is so much needs doing, the garden a mess, the house to paint. and a hip and knee going downhill all the time. problem is how do we get back to the stage where we can become more active again???.
    when you tell some people, you are having problems with arthritis some of them give the impression you are winging, and almost making it up. don't you find this? sometimes the only ones you can relate to are those who also have this condition as on this forum. so often you have to bear it in silence. especially living alone.

hope your knees get better,

Nick
  • valval
    Options
    for months the house looked a tip . grass got far to long and yes most of house needs decorating had no energy 4 any thing but dragging self to work for 4 hours a day feeling much better at moment so playing catch up each day feeling able do one extra small job getting there slowly know if do to much will end up having weeks where not able to do any so little and often :) and fingers crossed get caught up before next flare up good luck every one
    val
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi everyone :lol:
    Thank goodness my husband took time off to help out with the party. He's been a godsend. I don't think he wants to even look at a can of paint for at least another year! The cakes were good. My mother in law made this amazing pavlova mountain; lashings of cream and fresh strawberries; there were trifles and cheesecakes. Plus lots of cold meats and various salads-the works! Normally I would have made all the cakes but in the end got them from the bakery! I did make the trifles and all the salads. There were about 25 people - thank goodness the weather was good enough to sit out in the garden.

It was a great day and I have no regrets about doing it. When the knees are replaced I may consider having a knee replacement celebration!

Have a good weekend everyone! Gone are the days of bending and running around like a lunatic!!!

quote="valval"]for months the house looked a tip . grass got far to long and yes most of house needs decorating had no energy 4 any thing but dragging self to work for 4 hours a day feeling much better at moment so playing catch up each day feeling able do one extra small job getting there slowly know if do to much will end up having weeks where not able to do any so little and often :) and fingers crossed get caught up before next flare up good luck every one[/quote]