Home 3 days after THR

Options
sharon1
sharon1 Member Posts: 10
edited 30. Jun 2009, 04:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well i am home 3 days after having my new hip, I was not expecting to be in so much pain i got to be honest. but it can only get better now, I have been given very strong pain killers to come home with.
I had to climb 30 steps to get to my flat and it was not as bad as i thought it would be.
I am amazed how small the wound is, its about 3 inches maybe a littlle less, i also had stitches rather than clips due to a metal allergy.
i am mobile with elbow crutches, have anti embolic stockings to wear and will be on medication to prevent blood clots for 5 weeks.
I dont really know what else to write, if anyone wants to know anymore, then ask away.
Sharon x

Comments

• tamnwill
    tamnwill Member Posts: 93
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    well done you :D
    Energy is eternal delight.
    William Blake (1757-1827)

Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
    Mark Twain
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Great news Sharon. :D:D:D The pain will lesson and your future can only get brighter. 8) :D Really pleased for you. Do as you are told and all will be well. :D:D:D

If you do happen to have a not so good day, do not fret, that can sometimes happen. It is sometimes 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

Please keep us posted on how you are going along.

Be good!!

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • collettem
    collettem Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Well done, and good luck with the recovery, I like you was not expecting the pain that followed but it does get better.

C
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, Hey, what a shock I had seeing your name here! :shock: Its amzing , what can be done these days. I hope the hospital are providing lots of support for you and your family! :) Don't miss out on the physio! :wink: Take care, don't expect too much of yourself, and let others do everything for you.

Lots of love and Get Well wishes, Sue ((((((0))))))))
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    That's amazing home so soon.
    It's now 3 weeks since my THR and I can't believe how quickly I've progressed. I found the pain lessened each day and I have to say I'm now 95% better than I was before the op. Listen to your body, don't try and push it. I'm using just 1 crutch now and still being very careful as I don't want to dislocate it.
    I'm not having a great day today but I think that's because I have a cold coming and the heat and humidity is not helping, I still feel tons better than I did before my op.
    Take care, do as you've been told and don't try and do too much before you are ready, you will find you get a little better each day.

Rita X

P.S. One of the reason I'm being so careful is there were a couple of ladies on my ward who had dislocated their new hip.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,956
    Options
    Hello Sharon.
    Have a enjoy able time with your new hip try not to work it do hard.
    i tripped over and broke my hip after having it screwed took my dog for a walk you can get bored staying in and i fell over 5 time's in one day because i walked to far ha ha.ater a year i had a new hip i have now had it 16 year's. it still going strong.i now have a knee as well i go to the gym the only thing i dont do is ride a horse because i'm older now.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • caravancollie
    caravancollie Member Posts: 66
    Options
    Well done, the pain gets less every day and mobility gets easier. I agree with what others have said - take things at your own speed, don't rush it, follow the hip precautions but most of all enjoy your new hip
    Lol
    Elaine
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Well done Sharon, home after 3 days wow :) 30 steps as well that must have been like climbing a mountain.

Love
    Vonski x
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Hi Sharon

If you could climb 30 steps so soon after your op, I think you are doing pretty well. I'm sure the pain will lessen soon. It is early days as yet. All the best for a speedy recovery.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Hi Sharon,

Great to have you home.I hope you are feeling well today and have people around to take care of you.

My THR is in 2 and a half weeks. I am nervous but encouraged by all the comments posted.I have an army coming in to look after me and I intend to make use of them

Take care,
    Luv Tkachev.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi Sharon
    Well-done you!!
    Sexy stockings eh?
    Bet they are hot in this weather! :wink:
    Serioulsy though well done
    Toni x
  • ikesother
    ikesother Member Posts: 171
    Options
    Hi, just want to say well done, and how did you manage 30 steps wow! Hope your taking it slowly in all this hot weather 8) Im due a THR next week; still waiting for confirmation letter, but Ive had 2 cancellations and Im getting fed up with it now :(

I like Tkachev's thinking " Ive got an army coming to help and intend to make full use of them" good for her, take care jk :wink:
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Well done Sharon and all you other brave ladies.

You are all very brave with your new hips.
    Amazed you managed to climb 30 steps Sharon. I can't even do that and I only have bursitis in my left hip. If the steps are too steep, then I'm in real trouble.

How are you going to get down again? Don't you have a lift or is it broken?

Do hope you get through the next few weeks and then when you get your physio, you will be well on the way to recovery. Will wait to see you on Come Dancing then.

I have been told that I must try and lose a lot of weight and about 3 stone at least. I am putting too much pressure on my joints.
    Did you hve to lose weight before you had your op?
    At the weekend, when I was away, one of my friends from the car club do we were on, called me over to tell me she is having a new hip next week and she seems to me, to be a lot bigger than myself.
    I always thought weight made a big difference to the success of the op.

Anyway, all the best to you and all you other hippies out there.

joyful
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    Anyway, all the best to you and all you other hippies out there.

joyful[/quote]

I really like that, being called a hippy at my age, :lol:
    I was told by my surgeon that I needed to lose weight, he said they would still do the op even though I am overweight but it would help with the recovery and would lengthen the life of the new hip. It's not easy when you're in pain 24/7, I've managed to lose a stone and a half since March and it's still going down. The word diet makes me hungry so I call it healthy eating and it's worked so far.

Take care, hope you're beginning to feel the benefits Sharon.

Rita X