Self employment and how do others cope?

smillajasperson
smillajasperson Member Posts: 37
Hi everyone :)
I was diagnosed with OA in the lower back and right knee 3 weeks ago.
I have been self-employed as a home help since last September and I receive WT Credit to top up my wages. I'm in a lot of pain at the moment and have been unable to do the cleaning jobs, but have carried on doing the light work for a couple of customers ie: cooking their meals. Whilst they all knew when they took me on I had back 'problems' I cannot expect them to hold the jobs open for me indefinately, especially as it now looks like I may not always be able to be reliable!
I was employed as an assistant shop manager for 2 years til September last year, but when I had 4 months off due to my bad back I made the decision to leave as I felt the work was always going to be problematic for me with all the heavy lifting it involved. In hindsight I should have stayed put as at least I was paid sick pay and I had some rights! However as it was a charity I didn't feel right doing that!
Now things are OK when I'm OK (I haven't had to take time off til a month ago), but what if I'm going to be 'bad' more often than every few months, and it becomes a regular feature of my OA? What do other people do in this situation?
I'm already behind on my mortgage - although the mortgage company have been great about this and I've managed to change to an interest-only plan for at least the next year til hopefully things improve!
Perhaps my type of work doesn't exactly help my condition?! It seemed like a good idea at the time because I could work in short bursts and not tax myself too much - but now I'm working 7 days of the week to put in enough hours for WT Credits and am still finding it hard to keep going. Is anyone else in the same position as me? Any advice I've read so far is all geared towards when you are employed and what your employer has to do to help you. Also I suppose it would be more difficult to go back into employed work - whos going to take someone on with a diagnosis of OA if they're going to be unreliable? Any advice or suggestions would be welcome!
Hope you're all not having too bad a weekend - I've just sneezed and made matters worse!! :roll:
Smillajasperson xx

Comments

• bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi
    I am in pretty much the same boat as you.
    I work self employed as a personal trainer and the last few months have been extremely difficult. I can no longer work in the mornings as the arthritis is so bad I can barely walk let alone exercise. I have had to schedule all my work for the evenings which means I cant do as much and not earn as much as usual.
    I don't get any financial support and do find it quite difficult. I have thought of changing careers but the only other career that interests me is paramedic, however I have recently found out that I may not even pass the medical. I dont have it for another few weeks so hopefully some new medication will sort things out for the time being but then for how long?!?!?
    I am currently thinking of a new career path but being so active I dont think I could tolerate a sedentary job.
    Hope things improve for you soon!
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi
    I am in pretty much the same boat as you.
    I work self employed as a personal trainer and the last few months have been extremely difficult. I can no longer work in the mornings as the arthritis is so bad I can barely walk let alone exercise. I have had to schedule all my work for the evenings which means I cant do as much and not earn as much as usual.
    I don't get any financial support and do find it quite difficult. I have thought of changing careers but the only other career that interests me is paramedic, however I have recently found out that I may not even pass the medical. I dont have it for another few weeks so hopefully some new medication will sort things out for the time being but then for how long?!?!?
    I am currently thinking of a new career path but being so active I dont think I could tolerate a sedentary job.
    Hope things improve for you soon!