Oh for a good nights sleep!

Options
smillajasperson
smillajasperson Member Posts: 37
edited 2. Jul 2009, 23:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well here I am once again.....its 1.50am and can I get comfy in bed? No!! Having tossed and turned for the last 3 hours I've given up and come downstairs yet again for a cup of tea and some painkillers. Here I will stay for a couple of hours before sitting becomes too painful too and back to bed I'll go to try for some much needed sleep. If its like last night..... and every night for the last month.....I'll get up half a dozen times before its time for work!! I just wonder how many of you are doing exactly the same thing as me right now, and just wishing for even one unbroken painfree good nights sleep!!! :roll: :(
Love to all you insomniacs!! :)
Smillajaspersonxx

Comments

• wrenis
    wrenis Member Posts: 35
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    poor you :(
    yes.. i spend some nights doing the same old same old toss and turn and never get comfy, my body pillow helps sometimes. it's frustrating tho, especially when you only get 2-3 hrs sleep, and for me, it usually happens in the morning when I'm completely exhausted.. then it snowballs and I sleep in, then late for work etc.
    sounds [TEXT DELETED] but i've taken to having a few beers at night, then at least i get 2-3 hours sleep and then 2-3 hrs unrest and then 2-3 hrs passout in the am.
    sorry this isnt much help, it's all new to me.
    hope you are sleeping right now!!
    wren :)

[Please avoid language that some people may find offensive - Moderator (T)]
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Wren, I am sorry that you are sleeping so badly, and hope that you got some sleep, I am a very light sleeper, but last night I slept badly due to a noisy neighbour, I will stop there or this could turn into a rant love Jaspercatxx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hi Smillajasperson
    It's painful when you can't sleep. There is only one position I can sleep in at the moment and that is on my back. Like you, I have been up part of the night, sometimes all night. I have done my ironing, I've even washed the dining and kitchen floor. Then got back to bed and eventually slept. Then spend all the next day exhausted. I know what it's like when you have to try and get to work next day. Trying to keep my eyes open. Working for Care Management, I found it very hard being on the phone listening to other peoples' problems. A colleague had to come over and relieve me many a time because I was getting upset and uptight. Well, you do when you are in pain and so tired.

On this last visit to my GP, he prescribed Tramadol and it has helped me for awhile. Perhaps you should have a word with your GP.

joyful
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi
    I was like you were about 7 months ago. I just couldn't sleep or get comfy. Now I sleep on my back with my legs elvated on 4 pillows! I sleep much better because my GP prescribed amytriptline to be taken just before bedtime. Amytriptline really relaxes your muscles. Before that I was worn out from lack of sleep. I don't know what meds you are on. I've got OA in both knees and its creeping into other joints (hands; shoulder etc). If you can sleep it helps you to cope with the days better. The first time I took them I slept until noon the next day. My husband thought I had died - I was just so tired. :lol: I sleep much better these days and more often than not sleep right through until 7.00 am - which is heavenly.

PS I take 2 amytriptlines a night on top of my other meds, however, I don't work anymore. I did read somewhere that if you bathe before bed it helps to relax you. If your core body temperature is right then rest comes easily. Also, you should avoid eating after 8.00 pm. Bedrooms should have no distractions: tv; bright lights etc. It may be worth a try. If I have a flare up I do all the above; use my heat pad; go to bed and listen to some relaxing music.

Good luck anyway! Let us know how you get on. It can't be easy managing without sleep.

Sharmaine
    Well here I am once again.....its 1.50am and can I get comfy in bed? No!! Having tossed and turned for the last 3 hours I've given up and come downstairs yet again for a cup of tea and some painkillers. Here I will stay for a couple of hours before sitting becomes too painful too and back to bed I'll go to try for some much needed sleep. If its like last night..... and every night for the last month.....I'll get up half a dozen times before its time for work!! I just wonder how many of you are doing exactly the same thing as me right now, and just wishing for even one unbroken painfree good nights sleep!!! :roll: :(
    Love to all you insomniacs!! :)
    Smillajaspersonxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    some times bad feels full of stones and no matter what u can not get comfey its horrible to b awake and know u have work in a few hours :( feel 4 u hope tonight is better 4 u :D:D:D:D
    val
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    I'm in love...with my mattress. It got to the point when it felt like I'd been run over in the night so I tried a tempur mattress. I love it. It took a little time to get used to it but I can't do without it, even my parents and 90yr old Grandma have got one!!
    Then I have amytrip and if its a really bad night some morphine. Usually can get a good nights sleep eventually.
    A warm bath helps or a bit of relaxation, all v quiet and peaceful.

Sweet dreams guys....
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    If I'm desperate, which has been a lot lately, I take diazapam as a muscle relaxant as well as codeine and set my alarm clock for 3am ready to take more codeine before the last lot wears off. If I don't take more in the night I wake up is so much pain that I can't move. It can get really upsetting when my daughter cries and I can't get to her quickly.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I'm lucky I always was a good sleeper, ( my o/h does't think its good, as apparently, I snore quite loudley) :shock: But when the pain got bad I woke every time I moved, but went back to sleep fairly quickly. Then I started waking up at about 4am and that would be that, lots of pain, but amatriptylne, (Spell) was prescribed and that usually works very well. O/H dosn't think much to it! :lol: Have you tried anything like that?
    Love Sue
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Well, it's 4 o'clock in the morning and I have woken up in such pain.
    I think it is going to rain!!!!!! :cry:

My wrists and arms are the worst, then my knees. in fact every joint from my toes up. Just taken a couple of paracetamols for now. If they don't work then I'll take a Tramadol. which seem to help me the best. I was prescribed Amitryp, and Clomazepams, in fact several kinds of anti-depressants and I just could not get into using them, they made me feel so uptight and gave me muscle spasms and, in fact, kept me awake worse than before.

You mentioned resorting to drinking a few beers at night. Is alcohol such a good idea if you have to watch problems with your liver if you are on Tmards or anything :?: Sounds silly, but I sometimes eat a banana for supper now if I start getting restless nights. For me, it seems to have properties that help the muscles and certainly helps restless leg syndrome.

Well, I'm going to try and get back for a couple of hours at least. I have some old workmates coming round tonight for a bbq if it doesn't rain. Just a bit worried about how untidy my house is at the moment and what they will think. I hope you are beginning to get some better nights, not easy while it is so hot.

good luck

joyful