Getting fitter - how do I do it!?

Options
ramummy
ramummy Member Posts: 100
edited 30. Jun 2009, 03:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good morning all, it's a beautiful day here in London.

I need some advice about getting fitter and healthier. Last year, not long after my 32nd birthday I was diagnosed with Sero+ RA. I was put on MTX in Jan of this year which seems to be doing the trick although I still get a lot of pain in one wrist and also in my feet.

It has occured to me that really I should do something about my general health in order to fight this as best I can and while I still can in case I develop mobility issues in the future. I started Weight Watchers a few weeks ago and have already lost 11lbs :D I know it's not lots but my GP told me losing weight would be difficult while I am on steroids so I'm dead chuffed!

Recently I found out that my company has a fabulous gym on site here in London and membership is only £20 a month. Before I had my children I used to go to the gym a fair bit and I miss it but with the RA I'm not sure I'd be up to it anymore. Is there anyone here who goes to a gym and if you do what sort of thing do you do? I was thinking uphill walking and cycling for cardio work and using the weight machines with wrist supports - good idea or not?!

Any thoughts gratefully received!

Ju x

Comments

• lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and well done you on the weight loss.

I have o/a or as the doc told me originally wear and tear so for about a year after diagnosis i just sat on my getting fatter backside until one day crying at the docs about what i used to do she told me not only does walking and exercise not wear the joints out faster but helps to produce the fluid to keep you mobile.

In the last 2 months I lost the extra 10lbs I weighed by healthier eating and joining the gym.most of my joints are affected and I have cervical spond. in the neck so the weight machines are out,I use the rower to warm up and have had no adverse effect yet(I dont go all out,only 5-10 mins)I use the cross trainer or treadmill alternate visits as the cross trainer does pull my shoulders a bit(hoping to build up strength slowly)I also do a cycle for 30 minutes.It is one of the sit on ones not a recliner cycle
    I also am going in the pool on 2 mornings a week and doing 30 lengths followed by a sauna.
    Does the works have a fitness instructor as they are trained to tell you what you can and cannot use.? Is there a gym in your area where you could get a free day pass and get the information you need about machines etc for nothing.Ours does taster days.
    Someone else will be along no doubt with advice but in the meantime keep up the good work
    Linda H
  • gemmapetken
    gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
    Options
    hi
    i have lost 3 and a half stone since xmas.

This is from eating less, only going out or getting a takeaway once a week and starting to walk. I walk an hour a day and after my joints got used to it i feel fab!! Ive got a long way to go, but once i started doing it, i now love it. I did race fro life at the end of may as well, something i wouldnt have considered before! I have RA in hips, knees and wrists and deciding to loose weight has changed my life. I started on the wii fit and it got me into a habbit of doing something every night!!

Hope this helps

Love
    Gemma
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello,

Thats fantastic, losing all that weight! :D If you want to go to a gym, ask your GP, mine does referrals to the local gym and the trainers have medical knowledge and according to your proplems show you the what equipment is advisable and what not to use. After 12 sessions you can go on your own, but the trainers will still give you advice if you go during their session times. Or you could just find a good gym and book session with a trainer to start you off. Good Luck Sue
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Options
    Hi Ju

The trick is to find something you really enjoy because you'll stick at it then. Personally, I hate going to gyms because I'm basically a lazy person and would never work hard enough left to my own devices. I was diagnosed with RA in March and since then have made it my mission to become more active. I take my daughters swimming every Sunday morning and during the week I go to a step aerobic class and a pilates class. I have informed the tutors that I have RA and they've been very good in keeping an eye on me and giving me alternate exercises to do sometimes.

I think you should enrol at this gym if you love going. Let the instructors know you have arthritis and they will help you. There's loads of stuff you can still do.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Nx
  • ramummy
    ramummy Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Good morning all - thank you so much for your lovely replies. It's nice to know that activity isn't completely out of the question. Gemma, a 3 and a half stone loss is amazing - well done you!

I popped into the work gym yesterday to look around - it's fabulous, so much equipment, loads of tellys, lovely shower facilities - and I got a tour and spoke to the manager.

If I join I'm going to have to get my GP's consent becuase of my RA. Apparently everyone has a special induction with with a trainer and they'll be able to tailor what I do so it's appropriate for me.

I think I'm going to join even though it'll mean getting up at 5am to go before work - it's not that bad, I only work 3 days a week anyway! Before I had my children I used to really enjoy going to the gym - it was a nice bit of 'me time'. I have been swimming a fair bit recently and I think I might try to keep that up too - as a rule I go after my Weight Watchers class!

Thanks again for all your advice.

Julie