Arthritis in neck

Options
carmen
carmen Member Posts: 5
edited 29. Jun 2009, 14:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello everyone,
I have arthritis in my neck amongst other places and just recently when I get up in the morning my neck and back are so stiff that I get quite dizzy. After a while I can feel my neck and shoulders "loosening" if that's the right word and then I am OK for the rest of the day. Has anybody else got this problem and come up with a solution.
Thanks
Carmen

Comments

• lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the site.I have the problem but not a solution .
    I have o/a in lots of joints and when I first get up(usually a toilet call in the night I have to take it in stages,roll onto my best side then sit up on the edge of the bed a minute for my head to catch up,wait for feet to settle then rise then weeble my way to the bathroom.Everything has its own snap crackle or pop and when I next wake its all repeated again.
    Someone on here may have an answer,they usually do.
    Linda H 8)
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello,
    I have oa in my neck and lower spine. I find using the right pillow at night helps. I've got a memory foam one, which I find comfortable. Thats really the only advice I can give you, apart from seeing your GP, if you haven't yet done so. They can give you pain killers and refer you for x-rays and physio therapy. Thats all I know.
    Love Sue
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    hi, I have cervical spondylosis and inflammation in my neck, if you find a solution please let me know!!!!! I just have to rest mine, be careful about movements etc.

Hope that yours improves soon.

Deb
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi Carmen
    Welcome from me!!
    No useful info - just wanted to say hello!
    Toni x
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Carmen,

Sorry you have this problem but could I ask what tablets you are on and have you had MRI's etc> Oh and a huge great welcome as well. Cris

Deb....... Pregabalin and injections either faucet or nerve blocks. x
  • eastmidlandsman52
    eastmidlandsman52 Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Hello.

Ouch! I know from long-term experience that it sure ain't fun. You should sit on the bed for a few minutes until you feel the loosening effect kick in. It sounds like you're due for an x-ray to determine what is going on in your neck and spine,and a blood-pressure test to see how things are elsewhere. If nothing else,it will determine whether or not you have more extensive 'wear and tear' in it as I have.

I was referred to a physio-terrorist who,sadly,couldn't do much for me.One suggestion which has proved a little useful was this:- Stand with your back against the wall and your feet as far back as they will go.Then lean back into the wall.try and slowly straighten yourself up and get the back of your head to also touch the wall.By stretching yourself upwards,you manoevre the neck and you may feel a slight 'click' or hear a 'grating' noise but this is normal.Hold the position for 15 seconds maximum and relax.Then repeat once again.The idea is to straighten the bones in the neck and encourage them and the muscles to help support your neck over a period of time.I would suggest you do this 3 times a day for a week.If there's no real benefit,then discontinue.It is rather a 'hit and miss' affair I'm afraid.Never do it on a flare-up!

I hope this idea might work but please always take it gently.I do hope you'll get some relief from this soon.

All the best.

carmen wrote:
    Hello everyone,
    I have arthritis in my neck amongst other places and just recently when I get up in the morning my neck and back are so stiff that I get quite dizzy. After a while I can feel my neck and shoulders "loosening" if that's the right word and then I am OK for the rest of the day. Has anybody else got this problem and come up with a solution.
    Thanks
    Carmen