have you had to stop using Methotrexate

Options
susie51
susie51 Member Posts: 57
edited 29. Jun 2009, 09:44 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi desperate for some information from peeps who had decided that Methotrexate is not for them. I have just had the worst winter; despite having a flu jab I had one cold after another maybe 5-10 days max between them, got so run down other recurring health problems started to bother me too, bladder infection etc. Its the middle of a pretty good summer and here I am with a really heavy head cold! I tried to stop taking Metho but symptoms returned pretty soon! Has anyone else had this problem? I have tried to look up anti tnfs and the attendant side effects etc but my head just doesnt seem to be able to grapple with facts right now!

Comments

• roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Susie

Yes I had to stop methotrexate. I developed a terrible cough which was like whooping cough. I couldn't breathe or catch my breath. It usually started in the morning not long after getting up. I used to dread he first half hour or so hoping it wouldn't start but it did. It would last about half an hour but it became too much to cope with.

Fortunately it stopped within a short space of time once I told the docs and was told to stop taking it but not before I had cracked several ribs, so severe was the cough.

I now take sulfa, leflunomide and prednisolone and will start hydroxychloriquine shortly. Unfortunately because of heart problems I'm not a candidate for anti-TNF so have to stick with the DMARDS.

I wish you well in your search for a drug regime that works for you with as few side effects as possible.

Patrick
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Susie I had to come off mtx as it made me feel really ill every week both jabs and tablets. But then on the other hand I have met people who are on highest dose and it doesn't affect them at all. I started on anti tnf in Feb and whilst it started off really well it has now started to flare up again so maybe time to consider alternative. Also, when they put me on it they were adamant that I have mtx as well as the anti tnf and it took a lot of arguing and refusing, I was convinced they are on commission for mtx!! So don't be bullied into having it if it doesn't work for you. Good luck! x