Of interest to all RA suffers - have a look

Options
englishrose
englishrose Member Posts: 99
edited 30. Jun 2009, 19:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
I read somewhere on the net that people who suffer from RA will find that their ring finger is longer than the index finger.
This is certainly true in my case - there being almost half inch difference. In fact it is my longest finger.
Lets have a poll to see if this theory is true.
Jane

Comments

• ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Is the ring finger the one that's closest to your little finger? ie the one I put my wedding ring on? Sorry, can be a bit thick sometimes.

If that's true, then yes, my ring fingers are longer than the index fingers. Not by much but there is a difference. My sister has RA too, I'm going to check hers tonight.

Nx
  • franki
    franki Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi there

My ring finger is longer than my index. I understand that the research discovered a link between osteoarthritis of the knee and people with longer ring fingers. Is there new research linking R.A. and the same? I have seroneg. arthritis.

It is certainly quite interesting!
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi, I am wondering if I am an odd-ball, my ring fingers on both hands are shorter than my index fingers, this is worrying am I a bit weird?? I always thought I was anyway love Jaspercatxx :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • prayerman1973
    prayerman1973 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    My ring fingers are both considerably longer than my index fingers.

If only this form of RA diagnosis was concrete, no more lengthy hospital visits, GP's scratching their heads etc. oh bliss!

Hope you are well and having a pain free day

Alan
  • gemmapetken
    gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
    Options
    my ring fingers are longer than my index finger and i have RA!!

WOW
    no more hospital visits and x-rays! Just measure your fingers!! woop woop

LOL
    Gxx :lol:
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    yes mine to, on both hands my ring finger is about half a cm longer than index finger not a big difference but it's a difference none the less!!
    how interesting, it's something i never knew about.
    i'm going to be checking everyones hands that i meet now, i'll be labeled an hand grabber or worse!!
  • roczko
    roczko Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Seems like it's something to do with the levels of testosterone and oestrogen that a baby is exposed to in the womb.

This link http://www.bath.ac.uk/pr/releases/fingerlength.htm gives some interesting info.

My ring finger is longer than my index finger.

Patrick
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    My ring fingers are shorter my pointing finger is shorter than that and the one between them both is very long i must be very odd indeed joanne
    Joanne
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Yes me too! My ring fingers on both hads are about 1cm longer.
    Maybe I could print this out and show her so I can get a firm diagnosis!?
  • ritnew
    ritnew Member Posts: 338
    Options
    How strange, I wonder how many people they used in their survey.
    The ring finger on both my hands is longer and I've just looked at my husbands and so are his.
    I have OA he doesn't have anything.

Rita X
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    Options
    yup mine is to only on my left hand thoug , my ring finger on left hand is nearly same lenght as middle finger how weird is that my mumhas oa i shall check hers out my sis doesn have any but has underactive thyroid .i have quite square hands and small square nails as well hope every one is feeling ok toaday my first day back in work after a wk off boy do my feet kill my ankles feel like someone has been kicking them couldn w8 to get home and strip off think big thunder storm is on its way here joy xxx
  • Jeannie
    Jeannie Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Yep, both mine are longer than my index fingers - a lot longer. Hey, you've started something now ... I'll probably be in the nick this time next week on 'stop and inspect' charges.
    Thing is, my fingers are so ... well I've only got 1 straight finger - I can't use my pointing fingers when giving directions, because mny finger's so bent, people would think I want them to go round the nearest corner ... that could be dangerous if someone's driving.
  • joyous
    Options
    hi looked at a few of the sites mentioned alot say its more oa then ra , i have ra and a bit of oa in my thumb and big toe it did mention it links to oa of the knee i have bad knees but not sure which arthur it is , it said linked to been better at maths than english as well not in my case i dont think . is it another question i need to ask next mon at the hos im going going to have a right list my heel my eyes and my knees . xxxxx :D
  • ramummy
    ramummy Member Posts: 100
    Options
    Hi there - sorry to burst the bubble but my index fingers are longer than my ring fingers and I have sero+RA!

x
  • suzster
    Options
    my 2 yr old daughter has a ring finger slightly longer than her index to, my oh index finger is longer than his ring finger, i'll check my elder daughters hands when she gets home later!
  • fossillady
    fossillady Member Posts: 37
    Options
    My left ring finger is definitely longer by 1cm (can't believe I just measured my fingers :oops: ) I have RA and think in my case it stems from ulna deviation and the damage in my knuckle joints where they have eroded and sort of crumpled together making the middle finger collapse downwards IUSWIM. I also have secondary OA due to the degenerative changes.

Interesting study, I can see me 'hand watching' people now to see how many I can spot. :wink:
  • elaine5000
    elaine5000 Member Posts: 33
    Options
    My ring fingers are longer than my Index fingers and not sure if mine is RA yet...just Inflamm Arthritis but Sero-neg.
  • dianel
    dianel Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Hi,

One of my interests is handreading and over the years I've read thousands of hands. I don't want to get myself into any other questions regarding hands, but I feel strongly that it's a little dangerous to simply presume that a long ring finger is any indication of arthritis in any form. I have read the articles you mention and can only say that in my opinion it's all speculation. In my experience a long ring finger -always taken in conjunction with the entire hand - is very often an indication of sensitivity and creativity, whilst a long index finger is usually a sign of a dominant character and leader. The hand should always be read as a whole and the subject is complex.
    Just my opinion formed from my experience. Best wishes to all. Dianel.
  • suzster
    Options
    when i looked at my hand yesterday afternoon my ring finger was a good half cm longer, but when i was talking to my oh about it last night it seemed my ring finger hand shrunk!!! it was still a tiny bit longer though.
    i have noticed my hands can change from day to day, hour to hour!
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    my ring and index fingers are about the same lengh???? :D
  • joyous
    Options
    suzster wrote:
    when i looked at my hand yesterday afternoon my ring finger was a good half cm longer, but when i was talking to my oh about it last night it seemed my ring finger hand shrunk!!! it was still a tiny bit longer though.
    i have noticed my hands can change from day to day, hour to hour!
    mayb its like the height thing when your tallr in the mornin etc joy :?
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    My ring fingers are shorter than my index fingers but there's quite a difference between ring fingers - my left is longer than my right - how weird is that?! And I've only just noticed!!
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Well my fingers are so bent I can't tell which is longer than who - I think that's probably a good sign I definitely have RA :? :lol::lol: ..but then my swollen knees, ankles, arm joints, stiff neck and pain are also a good indication :lol:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • luckybug
    luckybug Member Posts: 205
    Options
    my ring finger is shorter than my index finger, so not always right.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    This phenomenon is known as the Forer Effect in any research.

Psychologist Bertram R. Forer (1914-2000) found that people tend to accept vague and general personality descriptions as uniquely applicable to themselves without realizing that the same description could be applied to just about anyone.

People with a longer ring finger are said to be:

More unbalanced, confident, risktaking, aggressive, vigilant, generate bigger profits, persistent and quicker to react, greater musical, sporting and mathematical ability. There is also evidence that men with this pattern have a higher sperm count. Females with this pattern had decreased spatial skills such as car parking and map reading, while males are at particular risk from suffering from deep vein thrombosis. Lesser literary and verbal abilities, higher scores in maths than literacy. More likely to suffer from osteoarthritis, but not RA. Higher exam results and general success, tendencies ranging from homosexuality, low fertility and musical ability to susceptibility to autism, depression, left-handedness and breast cancer. A direct link between the length of a footballer's ring finger and their ability as a player.

I have edited out a few things, but you should get the gist of it.

Take your pick from the above information, I am sure we will all (un)happily fit in there somewhere.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif