Feet matters

Options
Jeannie
Jeannie Member Posts: 29
edited 1. Jul 2009, 01:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
I’ve been wanting to ask how much support folk got from their podiatrist – I just get my toenails cut. My hands are now deformed and I can’t use the scissors. The matter has now taken on a rather different turn now, which I thought I would share with you …… on ‘a laff a day keeps the miseries away’ basis.

My OH has been waiting since January for an appointment (he has gout in his hands). He got the appointment he had today by telling the booking office that he was going for an op. shortly and feared that he would tear their sheets with his toenails. After the ‘session’ the young lady informed him that he couldn’t become a regular patient … could he not get his wife to do it – fat chance. Could our son or daughter not do it …… yes, if we had had one of either. Her alternative suggestion …wait for it … was to go to our next door neighbours and ask them to do it!!!!!!!!! (we haven’t lived here all that long), I have cried with laughing. Can you imagine what your reaction would be should your ‘just on speaking terms’ neighbour appeared at your door, armed with scissors and made such a request. Better still - how about canvassing support for this assistance at a bus-stop .... 'I wonder, before you catch your bus .....
Jeannie S

Comments

• debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Jeannie you have given me a much needed laugh. That is priceless!!!!!! :D:D:D

I would love to see the look on any neighbours face if you asked them to cut your toenails! :shock:

I get the impression it was a young podiatrist?

Thank you for sharing, that made my day !!!! :D

Deb
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Jeannie
    That was funny - yes!!
    But seriously - what ARE you to do????? Honestly????
    Do you have to pay a chirop or something? like privately?
    Anyway - you could always try the milkman or the lady in the psot office :shock: :shock: :shock: :!:
    Toni xx
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    Options
    o my lord how rude are they , i thought the nhs had ppl that can come to your house fot this sort of thing . or proper clinc you can go to, cheek of them its not on is it ppl cant afford to go to the scholl shop or the other places can they hope you get it sorted it winds you up doesn i couldn do other ppl's i hate feet struggle doing mine sometimes as well mainly my right foot mayb my knee doesn bend as well as the other and thats the one thats bad cant seperate my toes on right foot at all ant they are startin to go out of shape now as well toes curlin under a bit flamin arthur good luck joy xxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Unbelievable Jeannie!

We have lived next door to our very good neighbours for 25 years and I am sorry but I would not go and ask them to cut my toenails.

The system has gone completely mad!

If you don't laugh about this, you would cry! :lol::lol:

I would take that up with someone at your surgery or however it was arranged. I hope you know this chiro's name!! Did she give a reason why this was going to be a one-off?

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Hi Jeannie

Takes some believing doesnt it.

Do some of these people have a clue what its all about.

Sorry but it did give me a good laugh though.

I imagine you knocking door to door armed with your nail scissors and asking neighbours for a favour which is slightly more than
    the proverbial cup of sugar wouldnt you say.

:lol::lol:
    Kath
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

What happens if your next door neighbour is partially sighted and very elderly? What a suggestion!!!! I get my daughter-in-law to paint my toenails once a month. In between times I have them done at the local beauty saloon - £25.00 it costs me to have a pedicure. So I go every 2-3 months.

I once asked my husband to do them - never again - he was using wire cutters and made one of my toes bleed. Instead of making vertical strokes with the nail varnish he made horizontal strokes and kept going over the wet polish. My toes were in such a mess I've never repeated the experience!! I have OA in both knees and I just can't do them anymore.

You did make me laugh with your story.

Sharmaine

Jeannie wrote:
    I’ve been wanting to ask how much support folk got from their podiatrist – I just get my toenails cut. My hands are now deformed and I can’t use the scissors. The matter has now taken on a rather different turn now, which I thought I would share with you …… on ‘a laff a day keeps the miseries away’ basis.

My OH has been waiting since January for an appointment (he has gout in his hands). He got the appointment he had today by telling the booking office that he was going for an op. shortly and feared that he would tear their sheets with his toenails. After the ‘session’ the young lady informed him that he couldn’t become a regular patient … could he not get his wife to do it – fat chance. Could our son or daughter not do it …… yes, if we had had one of either. Her alternative suggestion …wait for it … was to go to our next door neighbours and ask them to do it!!!!!!!!! (we haven’t lived here all that long), I have cried with laughing. Can you imagine what your reaction would be should your ‘just on speaking terms’ neighbour appeared at your door, armed with scissors and made such a request. Better still - how about canvassing support for this assistance at a bus-stop .... 'I wonder, before you catch your bus .....
    Jeannie S
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Glad it's made you laff! It costs about £25 for a private chirop. round here - what old geezers can afford that! My mum is 103, registered blind in a care home ....... which creams off most of her pension and the rest costs the earth - I have to pay £18 a time to have her toenails cut ... they don't do anything else!

Anyway, the laffin's been taken one step further. My OH is rather portly ... so now you've to imagine him in slippers and a huge white bathtowel, together with scissors, ringing next doors' bell and saying 'I've just had a bath - could you cut my toenails, please?' This could go on for weeks you know! Eeeee! I feel better for that giggle.

By the way it is the local NHS clinic and his consultation was requested last January by our doctor.

JeannieS
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I would'nt let my neigbours anywhere near me, let alone with scissors! Our neigbours are all 'Resting'. We live next door to an old church! :shock: :x :D:D Might make me able to run again!
    Love Sue ps I suppose the Rabbits in the field the other side might like something different to nibble on... :o:D
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 29. Jun 2009, 18:31
    Options
    Hi Jeannie

I've had the same thing, paid £20 for a pod to come to me and all she did was cut my nails. Managed to see a nhs one and guess what, she did the same. Gave me a few tips which were usless as my feet don't move. I would rather do it myself but I am a bit stuck. They must all be the same, at least they didn't send me to my neighbours :)

Love
    Vonski x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    the thought of your poor oh going door to door in towel with scissors is not the best thought if i c man and woman :D going door to door like this wil lock door and close curtains :lol::lol::lol:
    val
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    I am still laughing, your poor OH or should that be your poor neighbours!
    Hope you can get something sorted for next time though.
    Thanks for the laugh :D
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    oh thats terrible,funny ,but terrible.
    i have to cut mine(have to lift up my own legs to do it)then cut my o/hs & stepsons.(theyve been mothered too much,not by me)so toenail night i have to sit on sofa with there feet in my lap :roll: cutting there toenails.
    the way my hands are getting dont think im gonna be doing it much longer,so who's gonna cut mine if they cant do there own :shock: :shock: as for nail varnish dont think my boys know what that is.
    oh how i wish my daughters lived with me,i could have a full makeover every wk.like it or not. my eldest is starting college in sept for hair & beauty,so i maybe in luck.
    toenails are gonna be visiting her. :lol:
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Jeannie,

I love the idea of asking my neighbours.......the nearest have only just moved in and the next nearest are quite posh and I don't know them so well, they don't look like they do their own actually.....I think salons are their way :wink:

If it helps you can tag on to the next round of sheep hoof cutting..... in about 10 days I think...... though you may not like my cutters and I do get grumpy if you kick! Cris x
  • mash65
    Options
    hi cris how you doing,i wont be asking you to do mine then.
    you would have come in handy when i had the goat though.
    oh i forgot i have to cut the dogs nails as well.he only has to have 3 cut,pyreannes have 2 sets of dew claws,but only 3 grow out of 4,strange dog.
    so i have to get down on my knees to do them every 4 wks else they grow into his pads.
    used to have to do the iguana when i had her,& the parrot wont let me do hers.
    so nails play a big part in our house. :roll: debsx
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Debs,

Just left you a message on Leg's bedtime story thread...... I didn't see your post! My eyes have decided they don't see things or else my brain don't compute! :wink: :oops: I'd forgotten Pyromania's had those extra ones, good in the snow i think? I think Jeannie would rather you clipped her claws than I cut her hooves? What do you think Jeannie you got 2 'experts' here waiting with clippers...... :lol: x
  • mash65
    Options
    hi cris,yes the extra claws are for mountian climbing,not many mountians in leics.no good for laminate flooring either.
    poor old boy he's really feeling the heat.he sleeps outside most of the time anyway.but the panting has had me worried today.the weathers gonna get hotter.
    gonna give him a good brush tomorrow,& the hose may come out.
    nobody wants to sleep in a fur coat in this weather,i cant shear him
    poor boy.people think about the poor animals in the heat.debsx
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Debs,

I know what you mean, I am thinking of clipping out a fairly hairy collie. Could you just take off his neck and chest? I do the sheep like that in spring, it lets some heat out but in Snowy's case it wouldn't mess up his coat too much. We aren't getting these really hot temps here but I don't envy you them really. x
  • mash65
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    Hi Debs,

I know what you mean, I am thinking of clipping out a fairly hairy collie. Could you just take off his neck and chest? I do the sheep like that in spring, it lets some heat out but in Snowy's case it wouldn't mess up his coat too much. We aren't getting these really hot temps here but I don't envy you them really. x
    i dont really know cris as he has a water proof coat underneath & dont think he can be clipped.never asked the vet.usually know all there is to know on animals.but in his case i cut the hangy off bits with scissors & regular grooming.
    if so i'll clip him.
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Oh that did make me giggle :lol:
    If i was you ,i would write to the NHS...just to see what reply you get...They may put your neighbour on the payroll :!:
  • jeannie2
    Options
    Hi Cris, Well, did you see that streak of blue smoke going down the road? Well, I was the cause of it. Can we do it tomorrow, or say the day after, or next week. I'm not putting it off (much), just got a busy schedule.

Hi Topgirl,
    Now that made ME laugh. Must tell my neighbour - she was in convulsions yesterday when we told he. Must tell my OH as well 'cos he can ask the wench next time he sees her what the fee if for 'neighbourhood nipping'.

You know as I've read this thread I've thought .. wow! Catching sheep and clipping them, clipping hooves. Grooming dogs and clipping their claws! What brave people you are. Take it some of you are farm-based. Furthest I got on my uncles farm was feeding the turkeys - just the twice! God, it's a wonder I got out alive!
    Thanks for the giggles - don't get too hot. I find a hot water bottle filled with cold water cools the bed down of a night, but don't put your feet on it. My cat used to lay on one in the summer. Hot soup and a hot dinner is the best thing - our Maltese friends taught us - cold drinks and cold food put your temperature down and you are less able to cope with the heat then. Hot soup puts your temperature up and makes your body heat more compatible with the weather outside. Have a decent day.
    Jeannie S
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Jeannie,

My employers say be careful I confiscate diaries and do them anyway! :wink: Its amazing just how many remember a very pressing appointment when I pick up clippers, shears or hoof trimmers........... :lol:

I hope you can find some way of getting it done on the NHS. For what its worth someone I don't know very well asked me to do theirs and I did so maybe you will find someone......... I just think it wrong you have to. Take Care, Cris x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    When I worked as a care assistant we had an NHS guy come round to do diabetics, as the private chirpod ist wasn't insured for treating diabetics, I took the guy, who had a large bag amd a very smart uniform on and showed him the feet of his patient. Nasty, painful corns and etc but guess what? He only cut nails!!! :x :)
  • jeannie2
    Options
    Was told yesterday that a woman went into the same NHS clinic to have her toenails done. She complained bitterly about not being able to attend to her fingernails. The girl took pity on her and did them. This woman knew she wasn't allowed to do it, she sued and got £10,000 compensation! Suppose she's gone back to her own country now and can live comfortably on the proceeds. Makes you want to refuse to pay your taxes!