Tai Chi

Options
theresa4
theresa4 Member Posts: 696
edited 3. Oct 2009, 14:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been really lucky and been involved in a Tai chi for arthritis research study.
Although it hasnt helped with the pain I am in as my RA is very active and not under control (it has helped others with the pain)it has helped with my mind making me happier and much more tolerant of my condition as well as less teary. If you can find a good instructor who can help you to learn Tai chi it is a wonderful way of calming and improving the mind. My memory had become terrible (prob due to lack of sleep and pain) yet now it has improved drastically. I was feeling very depressed and not sure about if I wanted to carry on but now I am happy and cope with my 'bad' days. Please everyone try it if you can. :D
There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, That sounds like a really good idea, as its a more gentle exercise, I thin? I suppose though you need a good tutor. Do they have to have an understanding of athritis? :) I know we have a few classes around here, but I've wondered how good they would be. I used to do Yoga until the teacher left, the next one was too demanding! So I gave up. Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Theresa
    Do you know that was really good to hear :)
    So very pleased it has helped you so much.
    I agree prob do need a good instructor. and prob can't do all of it, but it really does sound worth a try.
    Thanks
    Toni x
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    i want to try ti chi but i have not seen any classs in my area will keep looking now ive heard how welll its helped you best wishes joanne
    Joanne
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi had to give up other types of exersise and looked around 4 something had got quite bad stiff in pain ect so had a word with my mum(she 72 and took up ti chi at 60 can teach it) so got her to teach me made a lot of difference to me :D try to do some everyday dont always :( give it a go helps your mental state as well
    val
  • dymonz
    dymonz Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi!

I'm 5 weeks post op from a RTHR. Prior to my op I was doing tai chi and found it very invigorating. It also prepared my body and mind for the op. I was up a lot quicker than my LTHR in June 2006. I cannot wait to go back... Keep it up. Those who have not tried it, give it a go.:lol:
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    I used to do Tai Chi many years ago, before PsA set in and I did find that it relaxed me and I slept really well afterwards. Nothing seemed to bother me as I was on a natural high. My class however, was quite challenging so I have never thought to go back. Are there special classes run for those of us with mobility problems? I have often wondered the same for Yoga. But I worry that if I get in that position, would I ever get out of it. :)
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I have read with interest about your experiences with Tai Chi. I have been reading about the best form of this for helping arthritis sufferers and believe that the Sun method is the best.

This coming Sept I am sharing an art exhibition with another member of our art group and she is an experienced Tai Chi expert, so I think I might ask hr if she does give tuition. I have looked at the videos on the internet and it does look interesting. More flowing in the movements which is easier on the knees and hips etc.
    worth investigating further.

joyful
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    it feels strange to start with u can feel energy flow through arms giving tingle on finger tips but will do u no harm as u do as much as u can and dont force it the slow movements easy 4 all of us to manage. when feet bad do some sat down every little helps
    val
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    Options
    HI glad so many people were interested in this post if any of youa re in Leeds west Yorks we run a Tai Chi for arthritis class at Chapel Allerton Hospital every 2nd thursday the next is thursday 15th October on ward 8 in the seminar room then 29th October and so on... We were taught by an instructor from Korea for the research study and now teach (the best we can in our group) and welcome new people. We still have the info sheets of the moves and it is based on Paul Lam Tai Chi for Arthritis which you can buy the DVD on amazon.co.uk but it is pricey at £24.99. As someone mentioned it is Sun style which is best for people with arthritis.

Sometimes when my pain is really bad I complete the session seated as can anyone else if you cannot manage. Even running through the moves in your head while watching the DVD can help your mind and you can still do the breathing exercises sat down.
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx