Leg/knee pain

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 3. Jul 2009, 09:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
I really find OA a strange beastie, seeming I’m still trying to understand it can anyone please tell me if this is normal for Arthur, I was attempting to move a work top at work with another chap as I wasn’t heavy just awkward and once I lifted it and had gone about 10 yards I suddenly got the feeling that someone was metaphorically speaking “driving a car” over both my knees and lower legs, it was such a strong feeling/pain I broke out in a sweat and had to stop to get myself composed before I could do anything else.
I get the feeling of pressure/discomfort and pain in the lower legs most day’s but never have I had anything come on so quick as it did on this day, and the odd thing is since then I haven’t had another attack like it.
:?

Comments

• joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

The OA in my knees came on quite suddenly too. I was walking down stairs at home when my left knee suddenly gave way and I got a sharp pain shooting through it. I had to sit on the stairs for ages before I could move, and then the pain continued for a long time. The doctor told me that weakness in the knee because of the arthritis might have caused cartilage to move.With lifting something, you would have been putting extra strain on your knees, so maybe that is what set it off.

Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Gosh Melman
    That sounds well scary. If Joan is right don't you think you should get some advice about how to lift to avoid it or are there any support things you could wear?
    OUCH!!!
    Toni x
  • taboo66
    taboo66 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    I have OA in both knees.I think it is definately the weight you are lifting.
    I get really bad pain in my knees when liftinganything heavy,feels like my kneecap is going to burst out any minute :o

When having a bad day it even hurts bringing the hoover downstairs.

Di x
  • nick55
    nick55 Member Posts: 119
    Options
    I find that normal walking is not so much problem as any movement that involves pressure and twisting. it sounds like you twisted the joint. I find this doing gardening, and such. or simply housework. i would suggest then maybe a gentle walk, not downhill or uphill. I find if i am having problems a walk will help, even when it aches as right now. also rest followed by activity then more rest. the times osteo is bad for me is when I am driving, or simply sitting down and forget to move my joints.
    so, about to try my own medicine, hope I am right!!

Nick
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    I have OA in both knees and find any bending jolly uncomfortable. I only lift the very lightest of object these days. Any moving of furniture or heavy objects my husband and son deal with.

Take care if you have OA in knees. I find if I overdo it I pay the price later! I can hear things moving in my knees every time I bend!

Sharmaine
    mellman01 wrote:
    I really find OA a strange beastie, seeming I’m still trying to understand it can anyone please tell me if this is normal for Arthur, I was attempting to move a work top at work with another chap as I wasn’t heavy just awkward and once I lifted it and had gone about 10 yards I suddenly got the feeling that someone was metaphorically speaking “driving a car” over both my knees and lower legs, it was such a strong feeling/pain I broke out in a sweat and had to stop to get myself composed before I could do anything else.
    I get the feeling of pressure/discomfort and pain in the lower legs most day’s but never have I had anything come on so quick as it did on this day, and the odd thing is since then I haven’t had another attack like it.
    :?