fear of needles

Options
godzilla
godzilla Member Posts: 6
edited 30. Jun 2009, 15:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am about to start having regular blood test for the new drugs that i will be on. I have a fear of needles. Does anyone have tips on how to cope? as i am dreading it.

Comments

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    Mention it to the nurse when you first go in and keep talking to her but don't watch what she's doing. You could focus on one thing in the room or think of things you need to do.
    Hope it goes OK.
    Love
    Vonski x
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi
    i have needle fear too, well mostly blood fear.
    i sometimes faint when i have jabs or blood tests and im about to start meds that need blood tests every 2wks.
    i always tell them i will proberly faint and they let me lay down to have it done and talk to me to take mind off it. a few have even thanked me for telling them.
    if you can take someone with you this always makes me feel better.
    Hope you get on ok :D
    Page
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    edited 1. Jul 2009, 07:01
    Options
    Hi
    I have a needle phobia too!!
    I have to take someone with me to hold me down :oops: :oops:
    I have also been known to faint.
    Think CBT would help people like us, but I have never tried it!
    (cognitive behaviour therapy) if it's a real problem and you have to have blood tests you would have to see about getting some proper help via your GP.
    I am lucky only have blood tests occaisionally!
    Don't you feel a wimp?!
    Take care
    Toni xx
    PS - it's nothing to do with pain for me - it's fear - is it the same with you?
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Godzilla, you have the same problem as my brother, he is known to faint at the sight of a needle, it is funny though as he is ok with the sight of blood, it is a good idea to take your mind off of what is going on, don't look keep chatting to the person doing it, sorry can't help anymore love Jaspercatxx
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Mention it to the nurse, as someone commented, and they will be extra careful.

I was a blood donor for many years and soon got over any fear of needles. Now I have no nerves left due to needle scars in my elbow and don't feel a thing. I lost count after my 187th blood test, which was about 5 years ago.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif