requirements for jobs

lesleygraham
lesleygraham Member Posts: 91
edited 6. Jul 2009, 15:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks
I was thinking of changing jobs and thought about the 'reasonable adjustments' I would need to suit my RA. After reading this would you give me a job?

Can't do full time, may be able to manage 20 hours, afternoons only (too stiff in a morning).
No walking involved, certainly no lifting. Sometimes no writing or typing when hands are bad. Definetly nothing physical.
I will often be late as It takes me longer to do everyday tasks such as showering.
I will require a footstool so I can sit with my feet up.
Can't sit or stand for too long, and can't do anything repetative.
I will require time off to look after my disabled son and take him to appointments.
I myself will require a few hours off every week for appointments, bloods etc.
I will probably need one day off a week when I get bad flare ups, however these can last 3 days.
Must be prepared for long absences when meds are failing.

Can you add anything to the list.
Les

Comments

• jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Have you thought of working for the NHS?
    If you are 'in house' then you can have your bloods done and be closer to docs when meds are failing?

I've just had to give up work (did work in a hospital). So now I'm MD Home Command - official job title!!
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Proofreading or writing articles or books to be published. Done at home, whenever you feel up to it or where you are, in bed, comfy seat, etc.

With the computer revolution, what about working from home? The days of sitting in an office are nearly finished. Become an MP, as so many will be voted out of office at the next election. Become an MP disability champion for us.

I would vote for you. [X] there you are. Your in.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • handsy
    handsy Member Posts: 209
    i have just read this and found it true yet amusing. this is a summary of most sufferers of this dreaded disease. if it is ok with u i would like to cut and paste this and apply for some jobs. like cold calling companies to see there reaction to our illness. as we are all to aware the disabled are not to be discrimenated. i will come back to the forum with my findings. this shall be my bench mark from now on

cheers john
  • lesleygraham
    lesleygraham Member Posts: 91
    Hi
    Sadly, this is true reflection of my life at the moment. It would be very interesting to know what employers would make of my C.V. and I wish you luck in your search for employment. However, by using the above, I'm sure you would be very 'unsuccessful' at every opportunity which I'm sure you could prove.
    Good luck and let us know your findings.
    Les
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Les in these days of equal oppertunity i would say no chance of getting a new job, employers would find a way not to employ you. oh yes hey would go through the motions by giving you an interview and wasting your ime because they have to interview and show that they are an equal oppertunitys careing and all tht tuff but i would say fat chance.Colin
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi

Those points sound so familiar. I had to leave my job last May because I just couldn't work full time or do the daily 12 mile drive there and back. I did apply for a job in April last year which was about 12 hours a week and often wonder if they didn't hire me because of my OA. In the end it was just as well because I couldn't even manage the 12 hours now!

At least you've still got your sense of humour!

Sharmaine
    Hi folks
    I was thinking of changing jobs and thought about the 'reasonable adjustments' I would need to suit my RA. After reading this would you give me a job?

Can't do full time, may be able to manage 20 hours, afternoons only (too stiff in a morning).
    No walking involved, certainly no lifting. Sometimes no writing or typing when hands are bad. Definetly nothing physical.
    I will often be late as It takes me longer to do everyday tasks such as showering.
    I will require time off to look after my disabled son and take him to appointments.
    I will probably need one day off a week when I get bad flare ups, however these can last 3 days.

Les
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    jenzie06 wrote:
    I've just had to give up work (did work in a hospital). So now I'm MD Home Command - official job title!!

ooh I like that, will now become my title as well, do we get expenses and a duck house?? :lol:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    I've had to give up work. In the end it was the only sensible thing to do, anyway, they retired me sick I'm 54.

My list of things I can't do is similar to yours and its just almost impossible to find something. I was a care assistant working for the council. The jobcentre do have Employment Advisors, who can help you if you want to carry on working. I've spoken to one who was very helpful, and one who just said phone the benefit line and claim benifit!

I hope you find what you want to do. Maybe voluntory work?
    Love Sue
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Flexibilty and compassion would be a must plus a bed for daily naps last time I saw my disablity Employment Advisors I was also told to keep on benifit but now have an interview withj Shaw Trust so they might find a job ????????I still do some voluntory work which can lead to work but sometines jobs given to outsiders its just getting a break that is all that is needed perhaps????
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi folks

Les

Hi Les

In answer to your question, unfortunately, I would not give you a job unless the job you applied for was working from home as and when. You have been far too honest with your list.

Best wishes,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • smillajasperson
    smillajasperson Member Posts: 37
    Hi Les
    This is a difficult one isn't it. I'm in much the same position myself. I worked as an assistant shop manager 4 days a week for 2 years but in June last year had 4 months off with an at-the-time undiagnosed major flare-up of OA in the lower back and knees. I then decided I wouldn't be able to cope with my job again as it involved a lot of lifting and I didn't think I could be reliable, so did what I thought was the decent thing and quit.
    When I'd recovered I went self-employed as a home help as I thought at least I could pick my own hours and pace myself so hopefully not do my back in again. I've coped OK I suppose, with continuous but manageable pain, but 5 weeks ago I had another major flare-up resulting in me being diagnosed by x-ray and I'm now waiting for MRI scans. Being self-employed I cannot get any sick pay and this puts real pressure on the family finances when I can't work. Part of me thinks I should have stayed put in my employed work as at least I'd have some security! I've already lost one of my cleaning jobs but most of my customers have been really kind and understanding as they did know I had a weak back when they took me on.
    However, where does this leave me - or anyone else - when applying for employment? Are we supposed to be completely honest regarding our limitations or requirements? If so, then our chances of gaining employment are surely extremely unlikely! Are we legally required to reveal all - and would be be liable for instant dismissal/tribunals etc if we didn't? I've no idea - has anyone else any knowledge/experience of this?
    Best wishes
    Smillajasperson :)