Where do you get your methtrexate?

Options
page35
page35 Member Posts: 1,081
edited 4. Jul 2009, 10:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Saw rhuemy yesterday she is starting me on mxt, gave me a prescription(blue form) told me to give it to my GP, so i did.
got phone call today saying they cant give me the meds i have to get it from hospital.
i am confussed do your doctors prescribe your mxt then you get it from phamacy or do you have to always go to hospital to get it.
its the tabs not injections.
page :?

Comments

• joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    page35 wrote:
    Hi
    Saw rhuemy yesterday she is starting me on mxt, gave me a prescription(blue form) told me to give it to my GP, so i did.
    got phone call today saying they cant give me the meds i have to get it from hospital.
    i am confussed do your doctors prescribe your mxt then you get it from phamacy or do you have to always go to hospital to get it.
    its the tabs not injections.
    page :?
    hi there i think the hos will write to your dr so then you will be a ble to get script from gp not hos, i use to get mine from gp , im on inj now and its complicated as a company deliver them but it still goes thru gp as well, hope this helps joy :) but is the hos who prescribe all of our meds not normally the gp thats in sitituation :)
  • julielt
    julielt Bots Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi Page, I used to get my methotrexate by prescription given to me by the doctor and then collect it from the chemist when I had it in tablet form. I have now gone on to injection but iIhave to go and collect it from the hospital which is a pain because I have my bloods taken at my GP's , hope that helps you . :)
    Julie
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Page, you can-not take your blue prescription to the chemist only the hospital pharmacy. If the hospital doctor wants to he can give you the white one for the chemist . if you ask for it back you can use it at the hospital. I asume you have been requesterd not to take them untill you have seen the Rheumy nurse. Once your Rheumy has written to your GP you will be able to get them on monthly prescription.
    Colin
  • debsmartin
    debsmartin Member Posts: 209
    Options
    Hi Page

I too get my methotrexate from the chemist, my rheummy nurse gave me a letter to take to my own doctors to prescribe them, which I think is good because my own doctor also keeps a check on me as well.

debs
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi all
    Thanks for your replies
    after a wasted afternoon at the hospital (long story and i am to tired to moan) it seems i have to always get the Mxt from the hospital and have to have all my blood test done there, which is a right pain, my GP is so much closer and easyer for me to get to and i dont have to pay £3.50 to park at the GPs.
    oh well nothing i can do about it.
    Thanks
  • nusrat
    nusrat Member Posts: 14
    Options
    I get mine from Hospital or GP via a prescription from local Pharmacist. However more recently I am now on self care injections so I have a company deliver them to my home / work
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    When I first started on MTX tablets 4 years ago, my consultant wrote to my dr and he just wrote out a prescription. Had it sent to my chemist and they rang to say it was ready to pick up. No hassle at all.
    Initially though, I had to go for blood tests every 2 weeks.

My MTX injections are delivered by Willow Health Care, they tried to ring me today to arrange the next delivery next week, but missed them because I was out, so expect they will cal tomorrow.
    They then deliver 10 weeks supply.

I'm sorry so many of you seem to be having a long and difficult journey to get your prescriptions. With all my medications, I just ring the chemist when I need repeats and in 4 days they are ready to be picked up. The are a great bunch.

joyful
  • englishrose
    englishrose Member Posts: 99
    Options
    It sounds as though I am very lucky. My injections are delivered each month by BUPA form Bristol (I live nr Exeter). One week before next delivery they ring me to see if I need anything else. I never have to make request for prescription etc. All goes like clockwork.
    Yesterday I saw my Dr who wants my dose to go up from 17.5 to 20. Waiting to see how they cope with this change.
    I find the injections so very easy and have no problems with them at all.
    Jane
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Same here, I'm very lucky too. I didn't realise though that your Dr increases your dosage. Surely that should come from the consultant. When my GP thought I was having extra problems, he sent me to the hospital so that it went down on my hospital file and not the GP's.

joyful

It sounds as though I am very lucky. My injections are delivered each month by BUPA form Bristol (I live nr Exeter). One week before next delivery they ring me to see if I need anything else. I never have to make request for prescription etc. All goes like clockwork.
    Yesterday I saw my Dr who wants my dose to go up from 17.5 to 20. Waiting to see how they cope with this change.
    I find the injections so very easy and have no problems with them at all.
    Jane
  • madwestie
    madwestie Member Posts: 383
    Options
    i used to get my mtx tablets from the local chemist via a repeat prescription from the Gp.
    I am also now on injections which i still get from the chemist via a reapeat prescription from my GP and i am lucky enough to have my blood tests at the GP's too.