pain in left side

Options
kaz34ni
kaz34ni Member Posts: 18
edited 4. Jul 2009, 10:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
im still waiting on confirmation to find out if i have RA, one gp says i have another says most likely, but neither have sent me to reumatology (going back to gp friday to ask again) i suffer alot of infections in kidney especially left one, lately ive been passing blood, went back to gp dipstick test said blood, but results came back clear, but ive still blood in urine, is this normal for RA? feel washed out got no fight left, every joint aches and fatigue and moods are unbareable, i hate going to gp as i feel im moaning.. as i am now lol, just wanted to kknow if anyone else suffers with kidney probs with RA

Comments

• lesleygraham
    lesleygraham Member Posts: 91
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kaz
    I've suffered RA for 6 years and I have never had kidney problems although I'm aware that some meds can have side effects relating to the kidneys. I have also read somewhere that RA can also effect your internal organs but I don't know much about this. As for going to your gp, I know what you mean about 'moaning' but I think this really needs attention.
    Good luck and take care
    Les
  • kazpaz
    kazpaz Bots Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi Kaz from another Kaz

I've had RA for coming up to 9 years.

My renal function on blood testes fell off suddenly about 3 years ago and when I dip-sticked urine, I also had blood in it. I had no specific symptoms at all though and had it not been for the monthly methotrexate bloods, I would probably have never known.

I had major investigations then and no cause was found, but even 3 years on, any dip-sticking, at any time is always positive for blood still. As I am still alive and my renal bloods tests are usually ok, nobody bothers anymore!

It has been put down to the RA itself, a side effect of one of my drugs, or a bit of both! They are obviously hedging their bets!

I worried a lot about it at the beginning but like so much else, you just have to get on with it all. If I had even the slightest symptom though, or felt unwell in a different way, I would be back demanding it be looked at again. I have some reassurance from knowing that when it was investigated the first time, everything was done as it should have been.

Hope they resolve your issues.

Kaz x
  • kaz34ni
    Options
    kazpaz wrote:
    Hi Kaz from another Kaz

I've had RA for coming up to 9 years.

My renal function on blood testes fell off suddenly about 3 years ago and when I dip-sticked urine, I also had blood in it. I had no specific symptoms at all though and had it not been for the monthly methotrexate bloods, I would probably have never known.

I had major investigations then and no cause was found, but even 3 years on, any dip-sticking, at any time is always positive for blood still. As I am still alive and my renal bloods tests are usually ok, nobody bothers anymore!

It has been put down to the RA itself, a side effect of one of my drugs, or a bit of both! They are obviously hedging their bets!

I worried a lot about it at the beginning but like so much else, you just have to get on with it all. If I had even the slightest symptom though, or felt unwell in a different way, I would be back demanding it be looked at again. I have some reassurance from knowing that when it was investigated the first time, everything was done as it should have been.

Hope they resolve your issues.

Kaz x

hi kaz thanx for reply, im not o any meds for RA only kapake for pain relief, ive had ultra sound scan on kidneys which show up extensive scarring on left kidney and some on right, gp says this is due to so many infections, which makes him think it its RA.
    hope ur having a pian free day
    kaz
  • kazpaz
    kazpaz Bots Posts: 103
    Options
    Hi Kaz

Thanks for the good wishes.

I'm actually in bed today and am feeling much better! :D

I've been struggling for a couple of weeks but it has been too busy at work to stop, but last night, with all the joints shouting at once, it was immpossible not to hear them. :roll:

I find that every few months I need a couple of days "wash and brush up" and then I can get back into the wheel like a little hamster and get running again.

I do sometimes wonder though what is the point of it all???? :?

Actually no, come to think of it, it is to keep arthur in his place and mostly it works. :wink:

Hope you are enjoying the sunshine too.

Kaz xx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    Hi Kaz
    I know what you mean about having to have a couple of days a month to 'recover'.

I find that I get some very deep pains in my back, which seem to ease up when I have managed to sort out constipation, which is aggrevated by so many medications.

These pains can move round to the left side and right side too.

It's so easy to forget to drink plenty of fluids, especially cranberry juice. Also lots of plain water. The carbonised drinks/water are not so good for the bones and can aggrevate any OA if you have it. I was told this by our Rheumy dept.

If I have real problems then I take fibregels which you can buy over the counter.
    Sometimes it can take me a couple of weeks to get sorted and in the meantime, feel pretty rotten.
    A sure sign of not taking enough fluids is dark coloured urine.

Obviously, you need to rule out any infections with your GP.
    I think, though, if you suddenly have a big raise in your temperature, you can probably put it down to an infection. Just remember to drink plenty of fluids.

joyful
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I had blood and protein in my urine a while back, as I had a UTI
    I don't have RA, I have OA. With RA sufferers I think they catch infection easier.

If I were you I'd go back to the GP with a urine sample, as you mat need something for it. UTIs can be nasty if left and turn into kidney infection. Hope you soon feel better. Since my last infection I drink a small glass of cranberry juice, which is supposed to be good don't know if it works, but I find that I am inclined to these infections. Plenty of fluid too helps.
    Love Sue
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    Options
    hi i have sero postive ra , ive never had blood in my urine or suffered with kidney troubles the only left side pain i get is a monthly one and i have always had that pain i call it pooping an egg my blood tests have always been ok for me even drinking alcholol etc , i had a new shoulder 2 years ago seems better than it was now all the best joy x
  • kaz34ni
    Options
    Hi Folks thank u all for you replies and good wishes, went back to gp, hes going to refer me to rheumy yehhyyyyy and also to have another scan on kidney, he also looked back on my records and told me i was diagnosed 2003 with oa in the hands and wrists (no one tells me anything) that was first it was ever discussed, vaguely remember gettin xray but never being told results. suffering a chest infection at the min, so taking it easy this weekend,
    hope you are all feeling well... all the best
    karen