DLA to AA?

joyful164
joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
Are you able to tell me whether DLA finishes when you are 65 and then you have to be re-assessed for AA?
I shall be 65 on the 26th July and no one has contacted me.
I was told that I would be reassessed in 2011.

I have just read all the 'blog' on internet and get the impression that it does change. I'm confused

joyful

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    joyful164 wrote:
    Are you able to tell me whether DLA finishes when you are 65 and then you have to be re-assessed for AA?
    I shall be 65 on the 26th July and no one has contacted me.
    I was told that I would be reassessed in 2011.

I have just read all the 'blog' on internet and get the impression that it does change. I'm confused

joyful

Hi,

dont think it changes, and they would have contacted you by now. Especially as AA is less money, the system is hot on those kind of things, and they are going to save money whereever possible!!
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    Hi Joyful

people who applied and get DLA before they reach 65 should carry on getting it.

AA is for those who apply for help after they reach 65.

Having said all that things are getting very difficult and people who are up for reassessment are not all automatically having DLA extended. So for those people who are filling in reassessment forms should make sure they get all the information down including any degeneration and need for extra help. A welfare rights worker should be able to help. You can find out where they are based by contacting your local council.

I hope that clarifies things for you.

Best wishes

simona
  • joyful164
    Hi Joyful

Having said all that things are getting very difficult and people who are up for reassessment are not all automatically having DLA extended. So for those people who are filling in reassessment forms should make sure they get all the information down including any degeneration and need for extra help. A welfare rights worker should be able to help. You can find out where they are based by contacting your local council.

Best wishes

simona

Hello Simona

Thank you very much. Your reply has certainly cleared a few doubts in my mind.

Although I am going through a good period at the moment, I have lost a lot of mobility. I can't drive at the moment, I need help getting in and out of the bath. But on the other hand, they will write to my dr and my consultant and they will say, yes, I am responding to medication and there seems to be 50% improvement in the pain level at the moment.

I think I would find it difficult to get any AA if I were to apply. I use to work in Care Management and only dealt with people who were getting AA and know that our access team at one time helped them achieve AA, but not the criteria has changed dramatically.
    Now, so long as you can sit in front of your sink whether it be upstair or downstairs and wash yourself down with a flannel, then you are able to wash yourself. You don't need a shower or a bath. They are not bothered with the fact that a hot shower and bath help relieve the pain each day. I can just manage to step into the shower at the moment, but even that I am finding difficult and with my hands and arms at the moment I am finding even going to the lou awkward. It's all a matter of dignity and you are not allowed that these days.

thanks again.
    joyful
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,482
    Hi Joyful,

The key thing here is to get really good welfare rights guidance before doing anything. Losing DLA would be real blow (Attendance Allowance won't give a mobility payment at all for example) and this should not have to happen if you get expert support with the forms and making sure that nobody undermines the process.

Not all councils still have welfare rights advisors, so if yours does not, contact http://www.dialuk.info/ who can find you a local advisor.

The difficult truth is that often people fill in the forms incorrectly or don't co-ordinate with their doctors (they can get things wrong - especially if not warned). An organised approach will give you the best chances. This is one area where a really experienced professional can help.

Good luck
    Guy
  • joyful164
    Hi Joyful

Best wishes

simona

Hello Simona

Hope you are well.

guess what, my new forms from DLA arrived in this mornings post.
    Just as I am experiencing major flare ups in my hands and arms. Think I have been overdoing it with allthe work involved with my forthcoming son's wedding and art exhibitions. Whenever I think I am feeling almost up to par again, every part of me boils up to a flare up again. Must be stress.

joyful