Job interview

auntie
auntie Member Posts: 41
Hello, I was wondering if I could ask some advice from people who might have had more experience than me.

I'm 21 years old, diagnosed with seronegative arthritis in March this year. It's in my knees and left thumb.

I have just finished university and it's time to look for a job! At the moment I'm doing a part-time internship and as it's unpaid I haven't signed a contract and haven't had to state whether I have any medical conditions, blah blah...

I am going for a job interview on Wednesday for another part-time position, it's for a switchboard operator job so hopefully I will be sitting down most of the time. I just wondered whether it's a legal requirement for me to tell prospective employers what the situation is, even if I don't think my ability to do the job will be seriously affected by it? I suppose it's always good if my employers know exactly what's going on in case I have any problems or get fatigued etc?

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello My understanding is that if you arn't asked then you don't need to tell them anything, but if they ask about health conditions or ask you to fill in a health form, then if you fail to tell them, you risk disipline if they later find out. They are not allowed to discriminate against you because of the disability. Its in the Disability Discrimmination Act.

Thats how I see it, but I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will be along and give you more information. Good luck with the job hunting!! :) Love Sue
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    If they dont ask on form but you get interview go ahead. If offered job then tell them........if they change mind its discriminating.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,395
    Hi Auntie
    Good luck with your interveiw!
    Love
    Toni x
  • auntie
    auntie Member Posts: 41
    Hi Toni!

Thanks - I don't think it went very well! I hadn't really prepared, I was a little bit late because I'd miscalculated the time, thought I could walk there and ended up having to try and hail a taxi, and my mind wasn't on the task as my brother had phoned me just before to tell me that his baby daughter had just been born (yay! :D )... so I wasn't very focused! Ah well, time will tell...