'Deadly' Nightshades

Options
auntie
auntie Member Posts: 41
edited 22. Jul 2009, 13:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello!

I've read and heard a lot about the effects of food from the nightshade family on arthritis but wondered if anyone has had any experiences of it being true? I've got seronegative arthritis, I'm 21, was diagnosed 5 months ago and have just bought a great book which lists just about every supposed remedy for arthritis, from medication to homeopathic stuff to dieting, and I am wondering whether I should try and cut the nightshades out of my diet. It can't do any harm I suppose, just to see if it works, but I'm so stubborn and the thought of giving up potatoes for the rest of my life makes me quite defiant!

I didn't think the nightshades were a problem for me until last night I had thai noodles which had loooads of chillies in them, I barely managed to finish them but then I woke up this morning in agony when for the past few days my symptoms had been a lot better. Mysterious...

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Auntie
    Could you tell me some of the 'nightshades' please? I don't really understand and would like to see if it's relevant for me.
    Thanks
    Toni x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Cheers Rehab
    That looks a bit complicated, but if you have a definite link like Auntie with the chilks then It'd have to be worth eliminating for a good while wouldn't it?
    Toni x
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Can I join in?
    I can't eat 'nightshade' foods. Yesterday I had some soup which had tomato in it .... today my fingers are all swollen and my wrists are very sore. Perhaps that's why I had such a bad night as well.

I've exerimented with foods and found I can't eat these:
    Chocolate, cheese, tomatoes, boiled potatoes, jacket potatoes, green peppers, grapes, grapefruit, oranges or apples. Cabbage sometimes does me no favours.
    If I eat these foods I get a lot of swollen joints and a lot of pain.
    I was interested to read the linked article - wish I'd seen it before, I could have saved myself a lot of discomfort.

Ooooooo and I love chocolate - it's torment.
    Jeannie S