Don't know where to turn..

Options
katherine810
katherine810 Member Posts: 67
edited 22. Jul 2009, 17:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
My MRI scan came back normal.
No signs of inflamation or joint damage.

I do have rhematoid arthirits in all my joints.. have had since i was 4 but this is a fairly recent pain, about 6 months old which isn't getting any better.

Although that looks good, it doesn't help me. I have alot of pain in my right knee when i bend down and the scan came back normal? I've been sitting here crying for over half an hour now, i just really was counting on them because able to do something to make my knee better, it got to the point i was wishing operations on myself. I don't know what to do now, it seems like i'm lying or it's not as bad as i've said i don't usually like making a fuss but now i don't know who to turn to. If my knee doesn't get better i'm going to have to stop ballet, i've kept doing it as i was sure my knee would get better but it's been like this for months it might not even be arthritis, i don't care at this point what can be causing me this much pain that doesn't show up on an mri scan?

About to give up hope,
Katherine
x

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Katherine

An MRI is not always 100% accurate. If it is a bone bruise these can take a long time to heal. Would you be able to get a second opinin?

Have you tried seeing a sports physio? Someone young I know did something to their knee, went a few times to a good sports physio and got it sorted. She had to buy a balancing board (it is on a ball) and stand on it and balance with the rocking motion of going down one side and then the other side. I find that difficult to explain. Her mum is now using it for sciatica and it has made that much better for her too.

Chin up, you will get back to ballet I am sure of it. Just needs someone to take you under their wing and get you better again.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi Katherine
    Oh dear I am so sorry :(
    Who gave you the information from the mri? Was it yoyur GR? If so what did he/she advise?
    Thing is that pain is REAL and you still need to get to the bottom of it so they can treat it :?
    Don't loose heart - things just need to be looked at in a different way. You need to see your GP with someone with you to support and maybe speak for you. You need to ask how they can find out what is wrong now. What damage does NOT show on an mri?
    I hope you are having some good pain releif in the meantime.
    I do know what you mean when you worry that it looks like you've made it up, but you haven't and you need to know what is wrong or you could be doing permanent damage
    Take care
    Toni x
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Kaqtherine, I am so sorry, I totally understand how you feel. I have to go for an mri scan on my neck as I am in terrible pain and I am worrying they won't find anything! There must be something wrong with your knee that doesn't show up on mri. Could it be referred pain? Maybe from your hip or back? I would def make an appt with gp to ask what to do next, and what else it could be.

Chin up and keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

Take care

Deb x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Katherine
    I'm sorry to hear about your pain. I had an x-ray 11 years ago because of the pain in my knee. I was told I had sciatica and referred to a physio. It did not help. Three years ago the x-rays showed that I had OA in both knees (one knee is worse than the other). However, the x-rays I had done 7 years ago apparently had shown up the OA then but I was never given the results by my GP so I went untreated for years. Don't suffer for years like I did (I should have gone back was too frightened). I was relying on my GP to get it right. It was only a move of house and a new GP that I was re-diagnosed.

I live with knee pain everyday even with painkillers. Have you had any blood tests?

Go back to the doctor and ask for an x ray. Pain doesn't happen without an underlying reason.

I hope it works out for you.

sharmaine
    My MRI scan came back normal.
    No signs of inflamation or joint damage.

I do have rhematoid arthirits in all my joints.. have had since i was 4 but this is a fairly recent pain, about 6 months old which isn't getting any better.

Although that looks good, it doesn't help me. I have alot of pain in my right knee when i bend down and the scan came back normal? I've been sitting here crying for over half an hour now, i just really was counting on them because able to do something to make my knee better, it got to the point i was wishing operations on myself. I don't know what to do now, it seems like i'm lying or it's not as bad as i've said i don't usually like making a fuss but now i don't know who to turn to. If my knee doesn't get better i'm going to have to stop ballet, i've kept doing it as i was sure my knee would get better but it's been like this for months it might not even be arthritis, i don't care at this point what can be causing me this much pain that doesn't show up on an mri scan?

About to give up hope,
    Katherine
    x
  • katherine810
    katherine810 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Thankyou everyone for replying:)

My consultant rhemy sent me for the MRI, i do have a physio but now i'm 16 it's stopped, i'm not sure why... aparently that happens when you transfer from child to adult in hospital.

I'm going to speak to my mum and see if i can try and go to the GP and see what else it could be. Although now the consultant has basically said i'm fine i feel like i'm making a fuss.

I have blood tests every 6 weeks as i'm on methatrexate but as far as i am aware they're all normal..

My rhemy wrote in the letter that he thinks it was some mild inflamation that went down before the scan, but the pain hasn't gone away in months, so that can't be right.

My next appoiment with him isn't until the end of september, maybe i should just try and carry on until then and speak to him if it's still not better..

I just don't understand why it would show up that nothing is wrong :S I should probabally be greatful in a way, at leastt it's showing iu have no joint damage...

Thankyou again everyone :) you really cheer me up, i'm thinking a little bit more positive about everything now
    Katherine
    xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Katherine

So pleased that you are feeling a little brighter. Of course you are not imagining the pain or making a fuss - why would you? Especially as it is stopping you do something that you love ie ballet.

Good idea, have a chat with your mum, two heads are better than one and it is good to talk. Would you be able to get an earlier appointment with your consultant, if you keep banging on that you are still in pain and it is stopping you doing your ballet. Unfortunately, we have to keep on, keeping on, which should not be the case, but we know our own bodies more than anyone else and to be told to come back in a few months is not the answer you wish to hear, is it?

If physio did help you before it stopped, then why not ask for some more session with a physio. A gp can refer you. Get a good one though, there are some right rogues around :roll: :roll:

Let us know how you get on.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Katherine,

I think it will show up everything thats wrong so please don't think it wont and you will get no help.

I know its very hard to have all this at such a young age, my knees started when I was 15/16, and i had dreams to but they had to change and well flower it may not be as bad as you think.

Don't give up hope, I did that once and its a horrible feeling. Now I always have Hope cus I named one of my sheep Hope! :wink:

A giant ((( ))) for you and just hang in there because you may find they really can help you after the scan.

Take care

Cris x
  • jeannie2
    jeannie2 Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hello Katherine,
    I'm sorry you're feeling like this. I must say it's the 'not knowing what's wrong' that got me down at the outset. I'd take Elna's advice and find a sports phisio, even though you may have to pay for this. I did it about 6 months ago and the guy was great ... he gave me some very good advice and explained exactly what was going on.
    Do hope you find out what's it's all about soon - but don't give up.
    Jeannie S
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi Katherine
    sorry your in pain and dont know what it is as yet,
    my son is 13yrs and plays football all the time, he got an injury to his knee and it swelled up and he had pain on and off for awhile. anyway it turned out to be something called Osgood Slaters which is common in sporty teenagers, it looks like hes got two kneecaps. it should get better on its own he had to have a rest from football for a short time but he is back playing again now he just has to strap it up.
    i am only telling you this cos there are so many things it could be maybe nothing to do with arthur, and dont lose hope, someone must be able to help you.
    maybe someone at your ballet class could reconmend a sports physio.
    best wishes
    page :D