Getting In and Out of the car

Options
sharmaine
sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
edited 30. Jul 2009, 07:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I find it very difficult to get in and out of the car.

Tips on avoiding straining my already poor knee joints would be appreciated.

Sharmaine

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,956
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Sharmaine.
    Did you know you can get a turntable like cushion you can put on the seat of your car and it helps you turn when you get in and out.
    i think you can get it froma shop that sells disabled things my friend had one when she broke her hip. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • heather1
    heather1 Member Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi Sharmaine

As Joan has said there is a cushion which is like a turntable which helps you swivel into position.

My back is agony getting in and out the car especially after a days work.
    I have got to where i would rather walk home than suffer the pain.
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    when I was choosing my DLA car, this was something that I took into consideration as I was the same as you. I got a citroen c4 picasso and I hardly have any trouble now getting in and out of the car.

I am not saying rush out and get one (but it did help), look on motability website, they have links to car adaptations which you can consider as alternatives

Janie
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I have trouble with most cars, but my Landrover is great. An expensive thing to do though, but we live in the middle of the country down muddy, icy lanes and that was the main reason. The turntable is quite good or a plastic bag as a quick, solution. If you sit on that it can help you slide round. Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    I would have suggested the turntable too, but you know Sue's binliner! Wow! What a good idea!
    Turntable £20 in ar*s!!
    oh and bet***ware have pully things to help you pull in and out like handle go on back of your Seat under headrest
    Take care
    Toni x
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Slide the front seat right back by releasing the slide catch, normally at the bottom/front of the seat. Leave the seat back until you climb back in, then slide it back forward. More space for your achie knees.

If too stiff, then a quick spray of releasing oil on the slides will make it easier.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    My mother-in-law has just invested in a small but very useful gadget to help her find something to push on to lever herself up from sitting.

She bought it from Cosytoes (catalogue which sells shoes and all things foot related particularly aimed at those with diabetes & arthritis who have difficulty finding appropriate and comfy stuff)

They seel a handle which you can fit into the door catch when you have opened the door. You can use it to get in, then take it out and have it ready to pop in to get out again, and the best thing is that you can take it from car to car. it is small enough to fit into the glove compartment, but very strong in use.

:!: You do need to have the right shape of bracket though .... so worth checking with them first.

don't knwo the web address though - sorry.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    My mother-in-law has just invested in a small but very useful gadget to help her find something to push on to lever herself up from sitting.

She bought it from Cosytoes (catalogue which sells shoes and all things foot related particularly aimed at those with diabetes & arthritis who have difficulty finding appropriate and comfy stuff)

They seel a handle which you can fit into the door catch when you have opened the door. You can use it to get in, then take it out and have it ready to pop in to get out again, and the best thing is that you can take it from car to car. it is small enough to fit into the glove compartment, but very strong in use.

:!: You do need to have the right shape of bracket though .... so worth checking with them first.

Try http://www.cosyfeet.com/handy-bar-p-591.html very expensive though. Also available on Ebay for about £25.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi everyone
    Thanks for the suggestions I'll have a look on the site.

Getting up from a sitting positon gets worse with each passing week. Luckily my settee is quite high and I can just about get up, however, my son's is very low (modern) and I need about 2 people to drag me up!! When I visit him now I just sit in a dining chair.

I tend to use my walking stick for leverage in getting in and out of the car -now that I'm worse it's not working so well. The wall of the house is by the drive and I tend to push my stick onto the wall, grab the wheel (trying not to toot the horn), turn my body and then stumble out. It's not very ladylike! :lol::lol:

With regards
    Sharmaine
    Wonkylegs wrote:

Try http://www.cosyfeet.com/handy-bar-p-591.html very expensive though. Also available on Ebay for about £25.

Joseph 8)
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I'm having problems getting in and out of the car. I've managed to train my OH at last, in a sort of Mrs Bucket (Bouque) fashion. I sit there until he gets out of the car, comes round and helps me out. We are having probs with our main car, like it keeps going wrong.
    I have now the enviable task of either getting him to change it for something like the Citroen Picazzo which he doesn't like, but I know are easy to get in and out of, or something similar.
    Because we cannot use the car for our holidays because we can't find anyone to mend it, we are going in the small 3-wheeler Citroen Special and that will be difficult for me because I have to put my weight onto my bad leg and hip to pull myself up.

Oh well, It it fun to drive round the lovely lanes in on a nice sunny day with the hood back. Everyone who sees it think it is an amazing car especially as my OH made it all himself.

Joyful
  • sharmaine
    Options
    Hi Joyful

My husband also helps me in and out of the car - I'm getting accustomed to his assistance. I have a Ford Focus Ghia and the seat can be adjusted - I have it on the highest setting and that helps. Seats are all leather and they are slidy but will try out the bin liner trick suggested by someone else. I've had the car for 2 years and only realised I could adjust the seatbelts by sliding a panel (I'm pretty useless with technical bits and pieces). I had to change my car from a stick shift to automatic - its made a huge difference.

Men and their cars - they're very precious about them. I didnt' want to get my ghia (which is a 4 door saloon) because it felt huge after driving a Ford KA ! I love it now - it's very comfy.

Sharmaine
    joyful164 wrote:
    I'm having problems getting in and out of the car. I've managed to train my OH at last, in a sort of Mrs Bucket (Bouque) fashion. I sit there until he gets out of the car, comes round and helps me out. We are having probs with our main car, like it keeps going wrong.
    I have now the enviable task of either getting him to change it for something like the Citroen Picazzo which he doesn't like, but I know are easy to get in and out of, or something similar.
    Because we cannot use the car for our holidays because we can't find anyone to mend it, we are going in the small 3-wheeler Citroen Special and that will be difficult for me because I have to put my weight onto my bad leg and hip to pull myself up.

Oh well, It it fun to drive round the lovely lanes in on a nice sunny day with the hood back. Everyone who sees it think it is an amazing car especially as my OH made it all himself.

Joyful
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    i have found high cars the best like people carriers, 4 x 4s etc as the seat is on level with your bum and you dont have to go down or struggle getting up when getting out.........bit dear to change car if not ready though.
  • smillajasperson
    smillajasperson Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Well, I was going to have a good moan about how difficult it was for me to get in and out of my ancient and very low BMW - gosh I wish I could do that now! Yesterday it started overheating badly and today the garage have said it is usual when BMWs have this type of problem that it is a cracked head in the engine that is the real problem - I may have no car at all, and not the means to buy another one! Great! I won't be able to attend my part-time jobs now and that means an even more reduced income as my partner is a builder and has had no work at all for the last month!! Arhhhh! Life just gets better and better doesn't it?! :roll:

Smillajasperson x