In Despair

Options
haagan
haagan Member Posts: 84
edited 29. Jul 2009, 06:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone, sorry i haven't been active on the forum for a while, having major problems with arthur especially with my hands. Metx not working, confirmed by 2 GP's and ESA dr but can't get appointment with rheumy due to major backlog. Typing this with one finger, hands and wrists really swollen and painful,and cos wrists are swollen so carpel tunnel has kicked in. no change from when I had ESA exam. Add to this limited mobility, inability to stand or sit for reasonable periods, days when I can barely get out of bed neither mind leave the Flat, which is up four flights of stairs. I am on Morphine mainly for the pain caused by using my hands, also possibilty I have Fibromyalgia picked up by ESA Dr. I had to leave my job which I loved where I had really supportive employers who did everything posible to keep me there, I was also supported by disability support charity. I was working as a Secretary I had voice activated software for preparing letters reports e-mails etc (sadly not available at home) but they still have to put in envelopes , filed etc jobs for which you need hands that work. The problems with my hands was why I left but according to ESA I do not have limited capacity for work so they have stopped my money. So does anybody know of a job out there in the vast opp unities available at present!!! that does not involve use of hands nether mind the rest of arthur's bagage. I have appealed so have a month leeway before I am pennyless. Sorry for long post but I am in a state of shock, I felt useless before , have always worked, used to be a RGN but had to retrain because of elbow injury and then thanks to arthur useless hands, somebody has got it in for me. I know you will understand. Thanks for listening Fay

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Fay,

I am sorry your feeling this bad and really hope someone will do something to help you medically very soon.

Can you appeal the ESA decision? I can't understand how so many apparently able bodied people get it while those with real problems are turned away. Have you had any advice on that? When they say your fine I think I would have asked them what work they saw you doing?! :x :? Its a crazy system eh?

I wonder could you do something like counseling cus that wouldn't really involve your hands at all.

I wish I could help but I am sending you a cyber ((( ))) and hope things get easier for you soon. Cris x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    feel 4 u life kicks u in the teeth from time to time it must be so hard 4 u :( keep going u will win through i am sure they dont know what they talking about get in touch with c a b if need b for advice life is hard enough with arth. with out money worries fingers crossed 4 u :) hope things get better soon good luck
    val
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Hi, sorry you have this worry. I would get in touch with c.a.b. or a disability charity or welfare rights organisation to help you. You need a representative to help you put your case.

Can your gp not get your rheumy appt brought forward? Could you not ask his sec to be put on list for cancellations? Otherwise if it gets too bad I would present at A+E and get them to do something.

Hope you feel better soon.

DEb
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    I'm sorry things are so hard for you, some of the ESA decisions are really strange, how are you supposed to cope. Hope you feel a bit better soon. Love Sue
  • haagan
    Options
    Thanks for your kind thoughts, I am in the process of putting an appeal in, have appointment at drs on tues will ask for a letter from Gp's. ESA have not contacted GP or Consultant. Am going to ask Gp to contact Rheumy see if they can do something, when I rang, was just told there was a backlog that I could ask my Gp for depot steroid injection, get them to look up dose on consultant's last letter and couldn't tell me when my next appointment was as "system" was down. Didn't even ask my name! I have thought about doing a counselling course as I enjoy working with people and have been told I am a good listener.but until I can sort my hands out so as I can take notes it will have to go on hold. I spent yesterday crying, today I decided to fight the system, I would love to work but at present I am not employable. Fay
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Fay

I am very sorry to read your posting. Let's hope your gp can get the wheels in motion for you. Rheumy departments must have appointments for emergency cases and I definitely think you fall into that category, backlog or not. I sincerely hope things improve for you soon. Let's hope your gp is ultra sympathetic, which he should be.

Sorry I cannot help, I truly wish I could.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Fay, sorry about everythings but glad you are appealing, I was told some years ago I was unfit to work due to pains in my hands and wrists, so I really can't understand why they made that decision, hope the appeal works love Jaspercatxx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I am appalled at there decision so many get it and they are not entitled and people who really need it carnt get it makes blood boil : : :x :x :x I dont blame you appealing and i hope the gp will help sort this out for you all the best with it joanne
    Joanne
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Fay,

So sorry you're having to endure all the arthur baggage at the moment :( and I sincerely hope the appeal goes well for you.

On the job front have you thought about telephone work as this wouldn't mean using your hands alot as most phones have a speaker system nowadays? I was thinking that you've probably had telephone training if you've had secretarial experience.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Fay
    I am speechless!!!
    How diabolical!
    What a strong person you must be to fight all that.
    All I can say is we are all behind you and anytime you want to sound off we will be here. You are NOT alone
    Love
    Toni x
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    it is wrong, but yes try to stay strong, not easy i know.
    i really hope your gp can help, but it is worth contacting cab, you need advice about money and work, so try to see someone asap.
    good luck and you aren't alone, we are all here for you!
    take care
    sue
  • haagan
    Options
    Hi everybody, thanks for the support. I had a bad weekend arthur loves stress doesn't he! I have posted my appeal, pointing out that not being able to use hands is a serious problem when looking for employment never mind not being able to leave flat (4 flights of stairs, no lift)when having flare which is quite often at present. Having received the letter telling me why I was not entitled to ESA, it appears that because I made my way to centre I was employable and everything I wrote or said was ignored, I did get some points for my hands which were and still are extremely swollen. Went to GP last night and broke down, gp very concerned that my arthritis was getting worse and that i had not been recalled so drugs could be altered as it was obvious that they had had no effect, also that I was fobbed off when I phoned. I should have been seen in April. She is going to try and get me an appointment or get permission to change my drug regime. would cross fingers if poss. Explained about being employable, she laughed and couldn't thing of a job either.
    I live on North Wales coast so most jobs here are service ones, and having scanned local papers hardly any of them either. Here's hoping GP has some luck, she is refering me to OT for assessment of needs.
    I am another addict of this site and visit daily for my fix. Fay
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi have a lot of pain in my hands not to swollen so nothing to see but some days can not hold pen (not good when job involves writting) and feet pain full dont trully know how long will be able to work as some days takes all energy to get ready and go to work (only do 4 hours) :( i hope u get sorted, glad u posted on here as will help when i get to the position u r in good luck :D and a big hug
    val