Benefits and Arthur - don't hang around!!

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 30. Jul 2009, 03:38 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hey everyone. Just wanted to say that if you are diagnosed with arthur don't try and plod on with work, go to citizens advice and see what you should be claiming benefits wise. I didn't and now I need help I am not entitled to it. Apparently I have to live on fresh air.

The system is stupidly confusing and complicated but I would reccomend ploughing through it to see what happens. You all know this anyway but write everything down, dates, time and the names of the people you speak to etc!

I'm just trying to get my head round the fact that I can no longer work, I'm not entitled to anything as I couldn't work enough to pay in my NI contributions so the pressure is on my OH to work all the hours God sends to support us both.

I'm now feeling that guy fawkes had the right idea....

Comments

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jenzie

Have you looked at DLA as well as the
    Incapacity Benefit or whatever its called these days.

If you are struggling with immobility and taking care
    of yourself, then think about applying for DLA.

The CAB will be able to help you, its worth a try.

Kath
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Jenzie

Have you tried Incapacity Benefit? CAB are not the only place you could go for advice. Try online.

Good luck.

Sharmaine
    jenzie06 wrote:
    Hey everyone. Just wanted to say that if you are diagnosed with arthur don't try and plod on with work, go to citizens advice and see what you should be claiming benefits wise. I didn't and now I need help I am not entitled to it. Apparently I have to live on fresh air.

The system is stupidly confusing and complicated but I would reccomend ploughing through it to see what happens. You all know this anyway but write everything down, dates, time and the names of the people you speak to etc!

I'm just trying to get my head round the fact that I can no longer work, I'm not entitled to anything as I couldn't work enough to pay in my NI contributions so the pressure is on my OH to work all the hours God sends to support us both.

I'm now feeling that guy fawkes had the right idea....
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    defo , i sent off the dla this week,
    ring these up now they were lovely to me all done and dusted in days,i dont know if i will get anything but worth a dam good try ! xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DisabilityLivingAllowance/DG_10011731

Just a bit of techie help: If you copy and paste or type the web address as part of the normal text, then it will appear as blue and underlined. Just a left mouse click on it will then take you directly to that page.
    As in: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DisabilityLivingAllowance/DG_10011731

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • sammy15
    sammy15 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Incapacity Benefit does not exisited anymore its now ESA employment support allowance
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for that - I didn't know. Nothing seems to stay the same!

Sharmaine
    sammy15 wrote:
    Incapacity Benefit does not exisited anymore its now ESA employment support allowance
  • apollo
    apollo Member Posts: 9
    Options
    hi everyone, my name is joan i'm 58 just been diagnosed with oa,a few days ago,feeling a bit stunned, what does the future hold any advice :roll: :roll: :arrow: :D
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi Joan and welcome.You might want to post a new topic or introduce yourself with a bit more detail .
    I have o/a too and looking back over the years knowing what I know now i prob. had it for a long time.Fingers,toes shoulders hips knees ankles,sometimes only one finger joint is hurting but other times they all ache.
    I must say though that my doctor has tried me on different tablets and I am now living an easier life than 6 months ago.On here we have a great bunch of friendly people with all kinds of experiences and all willing to offer support and advice.
    Linda H 8)
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    Options
    sammy15 wrote:

hi Joan, welcome to the site... :D

ESA, dont get me started on that :x !!! i enquired as i am due to be "got rid of" soon, my previous posts all explain THAT story! anyhooo, when i asked what i would need to do i was told every week i would have to go to my drs and get a sick cert. when i asked how long this would go on the reply was, until we see fit that you cant work any more, could be 2 months could be 6....charming :roll: !!!! and all this while i would be on the starting rate, which i think is about £75 p/w, flippin people!!!
    Good luck all the best Sally.xx :D
  • sammy15
    sammy15 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi Sally ,I have just had my SSP come to a end and now i have to look at going on ESA so not looking forward to it ,heard some horror stories about it and these medicall`s ect.
  • jenzie06
    Options
    ESA update - well I've filled in the stupid medical form with the help from the CAB, who were really nice. They told me not to be on my best behaviour for the medical which I'm really really worried about. They did say I could try doing a linked claimed as I claimed incapacity before giving working one more go. The linked claim means I can carry on with incapacity and I don't have to go through all these stupid hoops for ESA. So I rang the DWP. Apparently, I started work too early. If I'd have stayed on incapacity for a while I would be entitled to do the linked claim thing. I can't win!!!!

So next thing is the medical and the meeting every month. All for just national insurance credits. I found out that even if I qualify then I will never ever receive any payments. If I don't show up for the meetings then I will have my money reduced - woop de doo! They'll reduce the nothing they give me.

You have to keep laughing!!
  • shelleymogui
    shelleymogui Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Ahhh we are in the process of doing ESA forms, Dad said they'd turned up yesterday and they were like bible size haha.

He's already done some forms over the phone with somone (he says a place in Scotland??) cant remember but they said he could use the same forms he'd done over the phone but with the addition of 'a few extra bits to fill in'

We are new to all of this, never claimed anything as of yet and really have found it mind-boggling. Hopefully are a step closer now (pardon the pun) and also closer to cheaper prescriptions. The CAB have been helpful and the jobcentre said we'd have to go through the new claims centre.......you get passed round so much you forget who you talked to.

Shelley x
  • jenzie06
    Options
    Cheers Jan. I have to admit it does get me down as the system is just not built for the people they are just a political tool.
    When I get down I try and be thankful for what I've got. Friends, family and a loving husband who makes me laugh a lot. I actually caught him playing with our new taps (put in to be easier for me) pretending he was a train driver, you wouldn't think he is going to be 34 next week!!
  • elaine1033
    elaine1033 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    how long ave u 2 be on ssp before getting incapacity benefit
  • elaine1033
    elaine1033 Member Posts: 47
    Options
    how long do u get ssp for and when do u get incapacity benefit
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    elaine1033 wrote:
    how long do u get ssp for and when do u get incapacity benefit
    its usually 26wks for ssp,but no such thing now as incap,benefit.its now esa.so best to look on the benefits sites(job centre)cant remember the esa rules for sickness as i claimed before it all changed over last sept.but i get income support as hadnt paid enough ni.contributions.
    hope that helps you. debxs