Accepted for anti-tnf treatment

Options
janie68
janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
edited 28. Jul 2009, 03:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
I went to see rheumy nurse, had the 2nd assessment and yes! I have been accepted for anti-tnf!!! :lol:

I am going for enbrel, as it is a weekly injection, hopefully I shouldn't feel it wearing off. Also, once funding is in place, if this doesnt suit, then I can move onto another one.

I can now see light at the end of a very dark tunnel, although I will have to return to work eventually, (heigh ho!) but better than this constant pain,swelling, limping, struggling etc that I have now.

I have had a depot steroid as well today so thats good too.

All in all, a good day, yaayy!

Janie :D

Comments

• angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Glad that everything went well for you Janie. You are obviously very pleased.

It made me smile, thinking of the things we get so excited about these days.......Ange.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, Thats good news, I hope you soon get some benifit
    and feel better. Love Sue
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    I hope it works well for you :D
    and you get lots more yeeeeeeeey days
    page
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    ooh good news Janie! I started mine in Feb (humira) and it was fantastic from the first day, which made me wonder if it was in my mind! Anyhoo you will definitely notice a difference it is a bit of a roller coaster as sometimes my inflammation goes back up but I am no where near as bad as a I was.
  • janie68
    Options
    Thanks for your replies!

I have heard many good things about anti tnf, and look forward to the day when I feel it working and doing the things I love again. Although in the back of my mind I know it may not work or as well as I hope but we shall see... :wink:

Janie
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    Hi Janie:D

I have had my first injection of Depro this week. Do you know how long this lasts for?

Also I'm waiting to see if I can get funded, for treatment. I cannot remember what the doctor said I think it may have begun with an A.
    Did you have to wait very long to see if you were accepted for funding?

I was only diagnosed in May and all the different treatments are above my head at the moment.

trisher
  • janie68
    Options
    Hi Trisher,

The depot only lasts for about 2 weeks for me, but may be longer to about 4 in some cases. It gives me temporary relief while I am waiting for my treatment to start. Funding wise, depends on your PCT, takes about 6-8 weeks in my one.

Hope that you get better on the treatment, I have my fingers crossed for me and you!! Let me know how you get on.

Janie :lol:
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi Janie

Thanks for your reply. Have you been recently diagnosed?

I'm also on Sulfalasazine. I started that about 2 weeks ago, I have just increased the dose.

I hope you get better soon and good luck with your new treatment

I will cross my fingers for both of us although I have aurther in them. Let me know how you get on too.

[/quote="trisher"]
  • janie68
    Options
    Thanks Trisher,

No, had RA for 14 years, on sulpha and methotrexate which alas are not working so its now anti-tnf.

Yes fingers are riddled with arthur too, so we will cross them in the best way we can!!

Take care,

Janie x
  • kevinr58
    kevinr58 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    janie68 wrote:
    Thanks Trisher,

No, had RA for 14 years, on sulpha and methotrexate which alas are not working so its now anti-tnf.

Yes fingers are riddled with arthur too, so we will cross them in the best way we can!!

Take care,

Janie x
    :?:

My wife has just had agreement for TNF's but is worried because they say they don't know the long term effects which also includes a higher risk of cancer. At the moment this means she will not go for it. Any ideas where I can get some real info on the risks, or not?
  • trisher
    Options
    Hi Janie

Glad that you have got funded.

Did you have to wait very long to know. The rheumy doctors were talking about trying to get me funded at the time I did not know what they were talking about.

Is there more than one drug?

Good luck I hope it makes you feel better soon.

trisher x

[/quote]
  • janie68
    Options
    Hi both

I am still waiting for funding but I have passed the 2 assessments that you need to have to be accepted for anti-tnf treatment.

The rheumy nurse said that there are 3 more anti tnf drugs coming out so in an ironic kind of a way, it is a good time to have arthritis!

As to the risks, well I have been suffering so much for such a long time with pain etc, then I am willing to try it to get some kind of a life back. And that for me is pretty important as I am only 37. I am willing to risk it at the moment. Side effects you could use a search engine maybe but I know there is a susceptibility to infection and a lupus type syndrome.

Have a good day!

Janie