Getting panicky!!!

Options
lovehearts
lovehearts Member Posts: 20
edited 24. Jul 2009, 09:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

I know this sounds silly but I've been off work for 3 weeks sick leave as my blood test results showed that my liver was reacting badly to either the methotrexate which I have been taking for 10yrs now or that I had an infection. I was taken off all my medication and flared up like the michelin man. My 2 wks annual leave is just coming to an end, I work full time in a building society which is quite a stressful job at the mo, having to reach targets and get sales etc and if you don't you're put on a warning, at nearly 49 I don't need all this. The thing is I have to start back at work Saturday, 8-45 till 6, a long day, I am panicking so much about returning, thinking I've forgotten everything, how am I going to manage all these long hours let alone the travelling about a 35 mile round trip, then come home and start all again, weekdays I leave at 7.30 get home at 7, I'm divorced with 2 children. I feel that I've lost all my confidence, before I had children and RA I held down a really good job at a bank in the city, now I feel useless and worthless and good for nothing, financially I've never been so worse off because of all how I'm feeling my hands are so stiff tonight, I cannot hardly bend my fingers, they are throbbing so much, my feet are throbbing too like mad and I can feel that I'm all flared up. I would love to work part time but because I am in debt due to my divorce 16 yrs ago I'll have to keep on working forever it seems.

Any words of wisdom from any of you lovely people out there.

Love

Kim xx

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Kim,

I think the first question you should ask is are you well enough to go back to work, ie are you back on your tablets and has the flare stopped? If your not then you should really go to the doctors and get a sick note until you are well enough.

There are laws about sick leave but I don't know them as I am self employed but I am sure someone else here will.

Try not to get panicky but please make sure you are well enough before you go back. Take care, Cris
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Kim

You are going through a very rough time at the moment and I am very sorry.

If you work in a BS surely they honour sick notes. I too hope that you did not take your annual leave so as to try to disguise that you were ill.

From what you say, it does not sound as if you are at all fit to go back to work and the stress and worry is not doing you any good either along with everything else. How long will you have to be off meds? Are you seeing your gp regularly? I think the best thing you can do is get a sickie for at least another week.

I am sure it will do you no good going back on Saturday unless you want to show willing as you have been off, so your employers can see for themselves that you need to be off work.

I wish I could help you.

Luv
    Elna x(())
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • lovehearts
    lovehearts Member Posts: 20
    Options
    h i kim how ya doing hun ??

Hi Jan

Lovely to hear from you, how are you feeling today?

I'm ok thanks, fingers are still so stiff and feet feel so heavy. I'm still in my dressing gown and the thought of going upstairs to have a shower makes me feel tired before I even get there, ideally I'd just like to curl up in bed again.

I have a job interview this afternoon for a building society in my town, if I should be lucky it would help me out with the longer hours that I have to do now but the thought of an interview again makes me stressed. It's like a vicious circle isn't it, some days I feel just like giving up but needs must and I have to work full time. Before working for a BS I worked in a jewellers part time when my children were a lot younger, I loved it there, studied for 2 yrs to get my jewellery diploma, it was a job I was interested in but left as I needed to work full time and for more money. My ideal job would be to have my own business and make jewellery but with my hands as they are don't think I'd be able to do anything intricate, hey ho everyone should have a dream.

I'll let you know how the interview and how tomorrow goes when I go back to work.

Take care, loads of hugs

Kim xx
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Hi Kim, hope your interview goes well. I am not sure going back to work tomorrow is going to help you. It sounds as though you need more time off. Sometimes we can't keep pushing ourselves as it just makes the flare last longer. I understand your anxiety but you need to put yourself first. Rest up and take care

Deb
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    good luck with job interview hope u get it and life gets easyer 4 u
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hi Kim
    sorry to are having such a rough time at the moment.
    I know what it is like being a single parent with two kids (I was when I had my back op), I was so stressed with it all and felt that I was responsible for all of it.
    Serioulsy I would get myself down to CAB and check my finances over - are you getting DLA? - can some of these debts be lowered etc? Are you getting WFTC and anything else that might help.
    If you are like me you won't want to but....? You may have to. Do you have any insurance to enable you to go off sick?
    The others are right when they gently ask if you are well enough to work. You don't SOUND well at all to us, and we care so maybe atrip tp GP to ask if yoy are fit? for work?
    I Do wish you all the best in your interveiw and admire you strong work ethic. Your children should grow up into good and responsible adults with you as their role model.
    Love
    Toni x
  • sammy15
    sammy15 Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi Kim ,Sorry to hear that your not to good right now.
    Have you been on the consumer action support forum you can get some great advice on there on how to cope with debt ,they have been really helpfull to me and i have found out hell of a lot about these debt recovery companys ect.