Does this sound familiar ?

Options
loubs56
loubs56 Member Posts: 4
edited 26. Jul 2009, 02:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi There

I was wondering if any of you could give me any advice, info or if you could relate al all with whats going on for my son at the minute.

We took him to the GP 3 months ago because he was complaining of pain in his legs which he has felt for a longtime. His calves, ankles and kness swell up and down (here one day gone the next), and at one point he had a constant limp and could hardly walk.
He told me a few days ago that he get's painful fingers (he denied this when the doc asked him), and that in the mornings he feels really stiff.

Bloodtests found that he has liver alkaline phosphesate leverls of 400 (should be between 30-100). This persisited for months and eventually the Gp reffered us to a pediatrition. She took a look at his bloods and also noticed that he had high levels of something else showing that he has joint inflammation. He was then sent to have tests to check his bones, liver, kidneys and muscles, and we return in september. She said that arthiritus is extremly rare in kids but that is something she will be looking for.

Everyone keeps telling me it's a developmental thing now he is hitting puberty, but it doesn't seem normal that he is in so much pain and is experiencing swelling.

Would be great to hear what you all think
xxx

Comments

• oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi there
    my child had pain in back and legs and was told "growing pains" i.e. bones growing faster than muscles and them tightening so referred to physio, did exerecises and went swimming. Seems okay now..also at primary schools they sit on the floor alot which isnt very good and chairs can be wrong size.
    Your son has swelling,mine didnt so could be RA by the sound of it.
    I would really push wherever you go for appointments or you wont get anywhere.........we all know that on here.........but good luck.

p.s. swelling...........hes not developed an allergy to something has he?
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, Welcome to the site, I'm sorry you'r worried about your son, but its understandable. I don't have children, unfortunatly, but I do know that some children do have problems with arthritis. Their is a type of arthritis that starts with children - can't remember the proper name though. Some people on here have had it, they may come along later, with more information. Sorry I'm not more help.
    Hope all goes well for you. Love Sue
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Loubs

I am very sorry to hear about your son. We do worry about our children so, even when they leave the nest, if there are problems, of any kind.

I cannot help at all, I wish I could, but I am surprised that "everyone keeps telling you that this is a developmental thing now he is hitting puberty." I am wondering, who is "everyone". I , would never suggest that, in this situation and like you would be worried about the swelling coming and going and the pain.

I hope your appointment for your son is at the beginning of September and not the end. It is a long time to worry and a long time for your son to not feel A1.

You could post a question to the helpline about your worries with your son's health. They may be able to help you. It is worth a try. You can of course telephone them, should you wish. Number at the top lefthand side of the screen.

I hope you get more positive news soon,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    Hi Loubs
    Poor you and poor your son :)
    I agree with Ekna
    - hope your apt is sooner rather than later.
    The poor lad - he will be so worried and you too :(
    All I can say is - if it does turn out to be JIA (the kids version of RA), there iS treatment available for him.
    There is also lots of support on hear. We will help you to help him if we can with tips and jsut someone to sound off to.
    There is also a young person's forum for him to log onto if he wants.
    You take care of yourself too
    Toni x