Fusing of the fingers

Options
trisher
trisher Member Posts: 9,263
edited 28. Jul 2009, 03:56 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

I wondered if anybody has had surgery to fuse their fingers?

I have been to see the Orthopedic doctor and he told me that he will remove some of the deceased bone then fuse the fingers that are damaged into a claw shape.

This is to enable me to grip, as I'm wheelchair bound due to being a bilateral amputee. I must be able to safely transfer and grip and wheel myself about ect. I rely on my hands so much.

The fingers that he is going to do is the two index finger and the fingers that are next to them. They will be in plaster.

If any of you have had fusing of your fingers done. How did you cope with it?

Trisher

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,944
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Trisher.
    I dont know if this will help you but a friend of my sisters was born with her fingers fused together and she did not have them separated untill she was in her 40's.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I'm sorry, I don't know about the details of this, but I have heard of it before. I hope someone will soon come and give you the information you need. Good luck with your search, Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    Hi Trisher
    I have no personal experience of this at all, but it does sound like a definite way forward for you. As you say - you HAVE to be able to use your hands don't you.
    Therwise you'll be trapped and that would be awful :(
    If that is the only option for you I would think you'll have to take it - when would it be Trisher?
    Love
    Toni x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Toni
    I don't know yet. I'm on the waiting list. The consultant said about 6-8 weeks. I don't think it will happen yet as this flu is taking up lots of beds which is understandable.

Hope you are ok

love
    trisher x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    Hi Trisher
    Yes I am fine thanks!
    6-8 weeks isn't too long to wait, but I bet you are right so-called non-urgent ops WILL no doubt be put off if the hospitals get busy :(
    Do let us know when you get a date.
    Take care
    Toni x