I NEED NEW MOUSE FOR CARPOL TUNNEL PROB WHICH ONE BEST

Options
suncatcher
suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
edited 28. Jul 2009, 23:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
qHi can any one advice me on which mouse is a good one for help with carpol tunnel prob as ive looked on internet and there are a few even joy stick ones. all various prices which one is best. dont what to make mistake in purchase thanks joanne :)

t
Joanne

Comments

• mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi,the purchase can depend on a lot of things,is it easier to use fingers or thumb.
    you can buy roller optical mouse,best to go somewhere like pc world & try them i'd say.the last time i used optical mouse i used my thumb & it killed me.
    i have wrist problems,oa in thumb,hands but i manage at the mo.with normal mouse.
    its a difficult :?: bit some1 may have the answers better than me.
    good luck with your search,debsx
  • suncatcher
    Options
    my finger are not to bad but pain is going up the arm. the little finger is dead most mornings and finger achy but they give me no trouble that much in day now they used to before the meds kicked in. but me useing them the pain must be shooting up the arm. i will look out for roller give it a try out thanks joanne
    Joanne
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Options
    As said its subjective, mine is a 'Logitech' its huge (about 6") and the ball is like a ping-pong ball. I had an assessment and that's the boy for me. Just had a look underneath and its called 'Marble Mouse'. Best wishes
  • josiec
    josiec Member Posts: 386
    Options
    Hi,
    Mine has the same buttons and central roller as a standard mouse but is bigger and angled so that your hand and wrist remain in a neutral position whilst using it. It doesn't have a manufacturers name on it I'm afraid - it was recommended by occupational health at work: she had a big catalogue with loads of different types, so there's lots of choice. Maybe some internet searching would bring up some different manufacturers?? Sorry can't be more help, regards, Josie
  • suncatcher
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions i will look out for these and see if i can have a trial with them. thans ever so much best wishes joanne
    Joanne
  • carolrogers
    carolrogers Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi there,

If you are having trouble using a mouse you may like to try to use voice recognition controls. Voice recognition software is built into MS Vista... I'm not sure about XP... you need to look in the Control Panel.

Otherwise you can buy a copy of Via Voice. You need a Microphone/headset and you will need to train the software to recognise your voice by reading a passage or two.

In my experience Voice recognition works well and it may save your aching hands/wrists/arms.
  • suncatcher
    Options
    Hi there,

If you are having trouble using a mouse you may like to try to use voice recognition controls. Voice recognition software is built into MS Vista... I'm not sure about XP... you need to look in the Control Panel.

Otherwise you can buy a copy of Via Voice. You need a Microphone/headset and you will need to train the software to recognise your voice by reading a passage or two.

In my experience Voice recognition works well and it may save your aching hands/wrists/arms.

Im going to try out this one ive got a vista but will look into a program for this thanks joanne :)
    Joanne
  • carolrogers
    carolrogers Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Joanne

If you can't get on with Voice Recognition then you may like to try a track ball input device instead of a mouse. Basically it's an upturned mouse with the rolling mechanism on top so you don't have to move the device round the desk.

I've searched the Internet and have found that logitech produce quite a few track balls, some with ergonomic features, but most rely on the thumb doing the work. The other product I found is a "Big Track" which lies flatter on the desk and seems to allow any finger/thumb or part of the hand do to the rolling. This is the web address:
    http://www.techready.co.uk/Assistive-Technology/Trackballs-and-Joysticks/BIGtrack-Trackball-Mouse?gclid=CPvGqKz4-ZsCFdYB4wodHGVZAQ

(If this posting splits the web address into parts at the end of the line you might have to paste the individual sections into the http:// field of your Internet browser).

I haven't used any of the products I've searched although I did try out a trackball many years ago when researching assitive technology. So I'm not recommending anything specific for you. If possible your should try before you buy.

Also I found information about assistive technology on the Directgov.uk website which advises that some folk don't have to pay VAT, etc. If you want to check this out then the web address is:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/Everydaylifeandaccess/AccessibleTechnology/index.htm?CID=DWP&TYPE=Sponsoredsearch&CRE=AccessibleTechnology

(again you may have to copy and paste in the different sections of the address into your browser.)

Good luck.... think of this as an adventure and I'm sure you will have fun :D