Humira and heart failure

Options
luckybug
luckybug Member Posts: 205
edited 26. Jul 2009, 19:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Went to see rheumatologist last week, after all the examinations he sent me for after seeing my legs and feet swollen, he tells me I have flluid on my lungs, which is possibly caused by heart failure due to the Humira, he said the ECG and echo my heart was fine, but now he wants more tests to see further inside my heart, so I have decided not to use humira anymore, he didn't tell me to stop taking it, but I do not want any further damage doing, I'm worried sick, as my heart has always been sound, I'm not sure how I can tell if the fluid has removed from my lungs either, so I will have to see GP this week, if I can get an appointment...
Why do they not bring out a medication that does not have side effects?

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Luckybug, what a worry :(

I think we all wish medication didn't have side effects but we all have to take it along with the risks involved in the hope of getting a better quality of life. :roll: It's all part of life not being fair isn't it :(

Seeing your GP is a good thing because you can then talk over you worries with him/her.

Luv Legs :?
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Luckybug

I do feel sorry for you. How awful. Have you been on the humira long? Had your legs and feet been swollen for some time before your rheumy appointment because that is not normal is it? Sorry for the questions. I don't blame you for wishing to stop using humira. Best get an appointment with your gp if possible and have a chat with him about it all.

Seems it would be too good to be true if meds were brought out that did not have side effects. Most do, for any illness if taken longterm. :(

Sending a hug over to you,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Options
    luckybug wrote:
    Went to see rheumatologist last week, after all the examinations he sent me for after seeing my legs and feet swollen, he tells me I have flluid on my lungs, which is possibly caused by heart failure due to the Humira, he said the ECG and echo my heart was fine, but now he wants more tests to see further inside my heart, so I have decided not to use humira anymore, he didn't tell me to stop taking it, but I do not want any further damage doing, I'm worried sick, as my heart has always been sound, I'm not sure how I can tell if the fluid has removed from my lungs either, so I will have to see GP this week, if I can get an appointment...
    Why do they not bring out a medication that does not have side effects?

Two things that you have to take into account.

Firstly, if you are off your meds then your condition changes and any tests are therefore meaningless. You need to be tested under normal conditions, this means to continue taking your normal meds or you could put yourself at further risk. If your rheumy thought that you were critically at risk they would have stopped your meds immediately.

Secondly, why do they not bring out a medication without side effects?
    Ah, the Holy Grail of drug companies, no side effects! For instance, should we all give up eating milk, egg, wheat, soya, seafood, fruit and nuts because a few people have allergies? If only 1 patient in one thousand may get a side effect, then should the medicine on which the other 999 depend be withdrawn? R & D spend years on just one drug to reduce or eliminate side effects, but we are all different. Most patients are OK and a few get side effects, that's just the way it is or all 1000 suffer.

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif