knee replacements

Options
tjenny54321
tjenny54321 Member Posts: 64
edited 28. Jul 2009, 08:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am asking on behalf of a friend who had one recently. How long does it take roughly to be able to walk, realise everyone is different but if I get a few replies at least I will be able to reassure her. What complications can there be. She thinks there is something wrong but I think it's early days, especially as she is in early 60's.
thanks

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi tjenny

I have had a TKR in January 2008 and you can "walk" with a frame a couple of days after the op in the hospital so I am not sure what you mean. Then it is quite quickly 2 and then 1 crutch. I was stomping around the corridors in the hospital with 2 crutches and came home in under one week. I personally had a lot of pain but it was not many weeks before I was walking without any aid. I started physio 10 days after the operation.The physio's in the hospital were pleased with my progress before I left. Why does your friend think there is something wrong?

Take care
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Tjenny hello......(Hi Elna, I`ve said it before, we are like a double act!)

Like Elna, I`m a bit puzzled by your post. Are you asking when your friend will be able to walk without any aids at all? You don`t state how long it is since she had her surgery. As you rightly say, everyone is different, and I`ve realised since coming on here, that every hospital is different too.

I had my TKR in April 2007, and was started on physio right away. Like Elna, I used crutches in the hospital, but came out using just one stick, and I felt quite safe doing so. I was very lucky, because I had no pain, but most people do for a while.

Is your friend doing the exercises that she will have been given? I really believe this is SO important.

With regards to her age, I was 65 when I had my op, and I know Elna won`t mind me saying that she was 58 ( have I got that right Elna?)

Finally, I would say that if your friend feels that something is wrong, then she should make an appointment to go back to see her surgeon. I wish her well......Ange.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    angel1 wrote:
    Tjenny hello......(Hi Elna, I`ve said it before, we are like a double act!)

Like Elna, I`m a bit puzzled by your post. Are you asking when your friend will be able to walk without any aids at all? You don`t state how long it is since she had her surgery. As you rightly say, everyone is different, and I`ve realised since coming on here, that every hospital is different too.

I had my TKR in April 2007, and was started on physio right away. Like Elna, I used crutches in the hospital, but came out using just one stick, and I felt quite safe doing so. I was very lucky, because I had no pain, but most people do for a while.

Is your friend doing the exercises that she will have been given? I really believe this is SO important.

With regards to her age, I was 65 when I had my op, and I know Elna won`t mind me saying that she was 58 ( have I got that right Elna?)

Finally, I would say that if your friend feels that something is wrong, then she should make an appointment to go back to see her surgeon. I wish her well......Ange.

Hello Ange :D

Yes, you are right, we do often answer the same posting, one after the other, so must often be on here at the same time. It is addictive isn't it? :oops: You are completely right, I am 58 years old but nearer to 59 years than 58 now!

Hi Tjenny again!

I agree with Ange that your friend should go to see her surgeon if she fears things are not as they should be. We all know our bodies more than anyone.

If you can give us more information we may be able to help her more too.

I wish her the very best,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    Hi when I had mine done they had me out of bed the next day admittedly I wasn't rushing anywhere but they do that to prevent clotting. If your friend has concerns about the op she should call surgeons secretary see if she can get appt.
  • tjenny54321
    tjenny54321 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    Hi, Thanks for replying. The people on this forum must be war heroes or something as I asked my home help and she thought a it would be a few months. She is going to see her G.P today so hopefully she will find out whats wrong. I haven't seen my friend as she doesn't live locally but I think surviving the operation was a miracle as she has other medical problems. Surgeon wasn't sure about doing the op due to the risk.
  • wendygrocott
    wendygrocott Member Posts: 30
    Options
    Before I had my knee op all knee patients attended an evening at the hospital and taken through the operation from beginning to end we were encouraged to ask questions about doubts and fears this put our minds at rest so that we knew what to expect and what was expected from us whilst in hospital including pain relief physio home care this was a great learning curve and everyone was pleased they had attended the evening (tea and coffee were also included) I don't know if all hospitals do this. Physio started the day after the op and you are expected to be able to get up out of bed the next day. This also applies to hip ops as well (I have had both) Cruel to be kind comes to mind as I am sure all those who have had these ops will tell you