shoulder replacement

Options
mistywillow
mistywillow Member Posts: 711
edited 29. Jul 2009, 04:52 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there
was wondering if any of you have had a shoulder replacement. My mother looks like she is going to need one. She is 84. If you have had one, what was the recovery period like for you and how much has it helped you?
Gillx

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Gill,

I haven't had this, but I did have the tendons shortened following an injury a long time ago. It took about 16 weeks to be back to normal but i was quite young and so probably mended quickly.

I hope she will be ok and that someone else will know the answer. For my tendon thing I never looked back after the first couple of weeks...... It was hard to not be able to use it and back then they kept things immobile. Love Cris xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Nor me Gill, but if she is suffering too much?
    Just wanted to offer my sympathy.
    Toni x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, shoulder replacements - thats a new one to me, but things are changing all the time. I'm so sorry your mothers in such pain. Is she taking enough pain relief? I'm not a medic, but I worked with the elderly, and I know that sometimes GPs don't seem to realise the amount of pain an elderly person is in, especially if they have any problems communicating or sometimes I've seen older people make light of their pain when the doctor is there and then the dose of medication prescribed is not enough for them. Just a thought... I hope you'r Mums pain soon gets sorted a bit for her. :)

Love Sue
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Gill

I know of one person that has had a shoulder replacement and she has never looked back. She is older than me but not as old as you mum. She is an acquaintance so I do not know what her recuperation time was. Everyone is different though. I should think it would take some time.

I would love a new shoulder as I have an inoperable massive rotator cuff tear but it has not been offered to me, so perhaps that is not the solution in my case.

I know the pain caused by my shoulder complaint is horrid when it rears its ugly head. It does limit me doing certain movements and I use the other arm sometimes to aid it and I can see that it will eventually hinder me doing more and more tasks as time progresses so I do and can sympathise with your mum.

I hope something can be sorted for her.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mistywillow
    mistywillow Member Posts: 711
    Options
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Gill

I know of one person that has had a shoulder replacement and she has never looked back. She is older than me but not as old as you mum. She is an acquaintance so I do not know what her recuperation time was. Everyone is different though. I should think it would take some time.

I would love a new shoulder as I have an inoperable massive rotator cuff tear but it has not been offered to me, so perhaps that is not the solution in my case.

I know the pain caused by my shoulder complaint is horrid when it rears its ugly head. It does limit me doing certain movements and I use the other arm sometimes to aid it and I can see that it will eventually hinder me doing more and more tasks as time progresses so I do and can sympathise with your mum.

I hope something can be sorted for her.

Luv
    Elna x

Hi Chris, Toni, Sue and Elna
    Thanks for your replies. My mother is in quite a lot of pain and although she is very independent, it restricts was she is able to do. I looked at her x rays and there is very litttle cartilage left with a very narrow joint space. She has had steroid injections and although they helped they can not alter the problem of the bones rubbing together. It is a worry though to think of someone of that age going onto hospital for surgery.
    Elna i am sorry your shoulder is so painful.A replacement wouldnt help in your case because it is not the joints but the muscles and soft tissues surrounding the joint that are damaged.
    Why is the tear inoperable? did your doctor say why?
    love Gillx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Why is the tear inoperable? did your doctor say why?
    love Gillx[/quote]

Hi Gill

I went in for the operation, but when I came round he told me that he had not been able to perform the operation as there was nothing to knit together. It would not have lasted any time at all. So he gave me a wash and clean out instead, but that did not do much good, unfortunately. One half of me was relieved in a way, as I would have had the arm in a big supportive, protective sling for many weeks and then lots of physio but on the other hand I had gone down expecting the op to be performed and had a GA all for nothing really. I am left with intermittent pain which presumably will get worse with age and the shoulder will weaken.

I had fallen badly on that shoulder twice in the past, once on a large slippery stone on a Greek beach and the other time on black ice, going to work. That fall finished the tear off, well and truly!!

It is worrying for you if your mum does go into hospital for the op, but I am sure the consultant would not do the operation if he had doubts.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Gill
    One of my firends had her shoulder scraped or something - is it an arthroscopy? on friday.. As yet don't really know results properlybut maight be a bit less intrusive?
    It does worry you ops at that age, but it has to be weighed up doesn't it?
    Good luck Gill
    Toni x
  • plmb48
    plmb48 Member Posts: 125
    Options
    hi i have had both shoulders replaced.
    first of all i had half replaced the seurgeon wont know how bad your mums shoulder is untill he operates then he will i am sure do what is best for her as in my case,i could not have whole shoulder replaced i am happy with results but dont have as much movement as i would like but they warned me about that .
    the thing is the pain is gone thats what i wanted as i am sure its what your mum wants too give her my best wishes pauline........ps the physio is HARD .........