Elbow pain but I can move it - any ideas?

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 28. Jul 2009, 09:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

This last couple of weeks I've been getting pain on the end of my elbow which seems to be getting worse. It started with a feeling of a splinter, only when I touched the skin it would feel like a pin was sticking in the skin. as the days and last week or so has gone I can't lean on the elbow at all as the pain has become too much. I can move the elbow without any pain at all, with just a little bit of discomfort when I fully bend it.
Any ideas what this could be???

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Perhaps it is tendonitis or bursitis................... just guessing really.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • bailey27
    Options
    Will do. I dont think it is urgent so will wait til my next appointment and mention it.
    It feels like the elbow bone as cracked and when I touched it it feels like the pain is shooting through the bone. I realise that if it was cracekd then I'd be in a lot more pain even to move it.
    It is very odd. It only hurts when I lean on the elbow or even touch the skin.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    Bailey
    This happened to me and i didn't mention it coz it seemed so silly.
    Does it get you when you lean on it to sit up out of bed for instance? Or lean on it any time but otherwise ok?
    If so mine just went all on it's own but that along with lots of other 'minor' odd things like lumpy thumb and toe joints is on my list for rheumy thurs am.
    If it is the same i will let you know
    Toni x
  • bailey27
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Bailey
    This happened to me and i didn't mention it coz it seemed so silly.
    Does it get you when you lean on it to sit up out of bed for instance? Or lean on it any time but otherwise ok?
    If so mine just went all on it's own but that along with lots of other 'minor' odd things like lumpy thumb and toe joints is on my list for rheumy thurs am.
    If it is the same i will let you know
    Toni x

Hi, yes it is just that. I try and push up on my elbows to turn over but the pain is quite intense on certain areas. I dont get the pain when I actually just move the elbow though unless I fully bend it then it feels like my skin is stretching too much. I've only got to touch the elbow a little bit for it to hurt. I feels just like pins are being pushed in like sharp stabbing pains.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I have that, it started many years ago after falling on the ice, way before arther, the doc said Tennis Elbow at the time and offered an injection, but I didn't take him up on it! :x Too much of a coward then! Now I have a sort of funny shaped lump and when I had my tests for Carpel tunnel, they said I have ulner nerve damage and are talking about an Op similar to the carpel tunnel thing. Could it be something like that?

I do wish I'd not been a coward all those years ago!

Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    Options
    That's it exactly Bailey!
    (would you beleive I actually did it last night when I leaned on my elbow - after I said it had gone away!)
    Not a problem the rest of the time though?
    So much so that I was forgetting until I tried to lean up on it? Mine is the left elbow.
    If it's the same as your Sue I wouldn't have had a jab either coz it's not a prob the rest of the time....
    Take care guys
    Toni x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    That's it exactly Bailey!
    (would you beleive I actually did it last night when I leaned on my elbow - after I said it had gone away!)
    Not a problem the rest of the time though?
    So much so that I was forgetting until I tried to lean up on it? Mine is the left elbow.
    If it's the same as your Sue I wouldn't have had a jab either coz it's not a prob the rest of the time....
    Take care guys
    Toni x
    It sounds very much like mine, I lean on my arm and I can't help giving a shout, much to the suprise of anyone near me! :shock: I think I should have had treatment years ago, although that is not certain to have worked, is it? At the time I even thought I'd broken something and it was a bit of bone sticking in me. :shock: Now, the nerve is damaged and arthritis has set in.... Love Sue
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Sue
    I will mention it on thurs and let you know and of course Bailey too as we don't want any long term damage do we?
    Yes I do shout! Do you Bailey?
    Thanks
    Toni x
  • bailey27
    Options
    Yes, I shout quite often! lol
    It is also my left elbow, now and then I'll think it has gone then I will touch it or lean on it and I feel like I have leant on a piece of glass.
    Yes, please let me know what the Dr says, I am very interested in what it could be as it isnt like the arhtritis pains I get.
    Thanks
  • shelleymogui
    shelleymogui Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Hmmm sounds similar to Dad too. The other day he complained of pain in his 'good' elbow. He has gout on the other which is clearing up with tablets but this pain is new.

I suggested as he is on crutches that it could be the strain from that, but he also noticed it when pulling himself to sit up in bed or whatever so sounds similar.

Does it seem to ease then later if you arent using it so much?

xx
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi
    It doesnt hurt at all unless I touch it. even if I touch the skin it feels as if I have a pin sticking in the bone or have leant on glass. When I dont touch or lean on it it doesnt hurt at all.
    As time goes on the pain I am getting seems to be getting worse.
    I can lift things with that arm /elbow as normal, with no pain at all when moving it - only when touching or leaning on it.
    To look at it in the mirror there is no marks or bruises etc so IO am totally baffled by ths one.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Exactly the same Bailey - nothing to see, but v v sharp pain when you touch/lean on it and NOTHING like arthritis pain at all!
    Am going thurs will add it to my list for rheumy! :wink:
    Take care and no leaning!!
    Toni x