methotrexate injections

Options
lesleygraham
lesleygraham Member Posts: 91
edited 27. Jul 2009, 14:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks
I'm going to hospital today to start methotrexate injections and was wonderering if anyone has been on them. I took the tablets years ago but they had no effect. How long do take to start working and what are the side effects.
Take care
Les

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Les,

Can't help you but just wanted to wish you good luck. Take care Cris
  • annic4363
    annic4363 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    Hi folks
    I'm going to hospital today to start methotrexate injections and was wonderering if anyone has been on them. I took the tablets years ago but they had no effect. How long do take to start working and what are the side effects.
    Take care
    Les

Hi there

I have done this and like you was a little anxious before starting. However, it is really not so bad and you do get used to doing your own injections very quickly.

With regard to side effects, I should stress that I am 'side effect' queen - as in if there is one I will get it! I had headaches and chest problems with Methotrexate and am now on Humira. But my reading here would suggest this is an unusual reaction and there is no reason to suspect that you will have a reaction.

If you have been on the tablets already I think you will find quite a quick improvement as administrating this by injection means that it goes straight into your bloodstream and can be absorbed very quickly

Lots of Luck with this. I am sure you will find it a great help

Chat soon

Annie

x
    xx
    xxx
  • mrsdalloway
    mrsdalloway Member Posts: 161
    Options
    Hi I had quite bad side effects with mtx, however, I spoke to alot of people who had max dose and had none at all?! I think everyone is different and if you do have side effects there are plenty of things they can give you for the sickness etc. Good luck! x
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Les, I am currently on MXT injections at 20mg, easy to do if a bit daunting, you can still get side effects, feeling sick, tired etc, takes about 3 months to fully work effectively, if you do feel sick then you can ask the gp for anti-sickness tablets, they are very good, are you going to do them at home eventually? love Jaspercatxx
  • shelleymogui
    shelleymogui Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Hiya,

Sorry my dad takes the tablets where you take 4 on a saturday and thats it, but I just came to wish you well and hope they are more effective for you.

Shelley
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi Les,

I am currently on the mtx injections, I suffered only a little nausea at first but then nothing else.

Unfortunately, they are not being effective, but I hope they work for you, if you have the injection ,side effects are less than tablets.

Good luck

Janie
  • julie16
    julie16 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi,

I changed from tablets to injections about 2 months ago and have found it fine. To be honest it was a bit scary at first but I'm fine now. I had to go to the hosp each week for the rheumy nurse to do it and then had a go myself. I found it easy but then I have got a bit of a spare tyre to put it in!

The first time I did it at home was scary especially with my 7 and 4 years old watching boogle eyed while I did it. But it was fine. I did used to feel a bit queasy after a few hours but I do it in the evening now so am fine.

All I can say is have a go. I wasn't all that keen on needles before I did it but am find it no problem now. Although you wouldn't think so the way I was cringing when watching a tv programme about botox and they were injecting into a bloke's face!!

Take care

Jule