The side effects have got me!

Options
Rainbow77
Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
edited 28. Jul 2009, 05:40 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

The side effects have got me! I increased my sulfa 2 weeks ago and now on the full dose and I am sick as a dog!!

Been feeling really unwell - headache, nausea, stomach pain and a deathly white colour! The joys of medication hey.

It is really good that I finished school last tuesday, I know you parents will be fed up with the kids already!! but at least I don't have to worry about work. So that is one less burden. I also feeling really shattered, can't be bothered to get out of bed for a wee and dreaming that someone is bringing me a drink!! Not going to happen as I live on my own.

But going to take the week to really rest, hope the meds get in my system and get to work and I know that they will subside, hope it is sooner rather than later.

Take care everyone

Fayann xxx

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, You sound a brave, logical person and I'm sorry you are having to spend the holidays feeling rotten. I have OA so don't take the same medication that you have, so feel slightly guilty!
    I am sure you'll settle down in the end. Can you get anti sickness medication from your GP? Good luck. :wink::) Love Sue
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Hi Fayann

Sorry to hear about the effects of Sulpha.

I took it for a while when newly diagnosed but I was
    ok with it, it just didnt work for me.

Could they lower the dose and introduce something
    else along with it. Probably not what you want to
    hear right now, another flippin' drug but thats the road
    I went down.

Mind you I am at the point that I think why bother taking
    anything when I still feel lousy and get flare ups. :roll:
    although deep down I know its to stop more damage than
    is necessary.

Hope you get rid of the 'sickies' soon but it doesnt seem
    fair when you have to spend your well earned holiday
    hoping to get better in time for the new term.

Kath
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Fayann, nice to hear from you, very sorry about the side effects of Sulpha, they got me too when I went on it a few years ago, the sad thing is that it worked for me, it was the effect on my blood that stopped me taking it.

Hope you soon feel better, have you tried asking the gp for sickness tablets? love Jaspercatxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    Oh Fayann
    You have all my sympathy - rest up and as you say the side effects will settle soon.
    In the meantime my thoughts are with you
    Take care
    Toni x
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI Fayann,

sorry to hear that you are suffering the side effects - but if I remember right (probably not knowing me :roll: :wink: ) didn't you have this problem before and it eventually settled down?

It is hard having to decide just how long you can cope before either admitting defeat or asking for extra help. I am there at the mo too!

Just take things steady. If you boil the kettle to make one drink can you fill a flask at the same time and take it with you for later?

Can't solve the other problem, but you need to keep drinking!!!!!!

lots of hugs,
    wonky
  • Rainbow77
    Rainbow77 Member Posts: 275
    Options
    Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies, hugs and sympathy.

Yes wonky, you are right, I did suffer badly when I first went on sulpha, but it did settle down and once in my system made a big difference to my life. So I am holding onto that. There is hopefully light at the end of the tunnel.

I was feeling so rough yesterday, that I did think about phoning my Gp and chatting through it etc. You have hit the nail on the head - not sure. (So I must be ill!) But I think I have turned a corner. The sickness and not being able to eat is making me feel so weak. But I did have 2 small dinners yesterday and my stomach feels a bit better today.

I am still feelng shattered as I did not sleep well at all last night, I was really tired but could not sleep. Then the seagulls were banging on my sky light windows at 5.30am - the babies are quite big now and when they see their reflection in the window, they think it is another bird and tap hoping they are going to get fed! They are going to get more than that!! If they keep doing it.

Anyway - will keep resting, have cancelled everything for the rest of the week. I think I need to go back to bed!!

Thanks everyone

Fayann xxx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Rainbow77 wrote:
    Hi everyone

Thanks for your replies, hugs and sympathy.

Yes wonky, you are right, I did suffer badly when I first went on sulpha, but it did settle down and once in my system made a big difference to my life. So I am holding onto that. There is hopefully light at the end of the tunnel.

I was feeling so rough yesterday, that I did think about phoning my Gp and chatting through it etc. You have hit the nail on the head - not sure. (So I must be ill!) But I think I have turned a corner. The sickness and not being able to eat is making me feel so weak. But I did have 2 small dinners yesterday and my stomach feels a bit better today.

I am still feelng shattered as I did not sleep well at all last night, I was really tired but could not sleep. Then the seagulls were banging on my sky light windows at 5.30am - the babies are quite big now and when they see their reflection in the window, they think it is another bird and tap hoping they are going to get fed! They are going to get more than that!! If they keep doing it.

Anyway - will keep resting, have cancelled everything for the rest of the week. I think I need to go back to bed!!

Thanks everyone

Fayann xxx
    Hi Fayann,

Sorry you are back to this again, I hope you soon find you stabilize on the tablets. I'm with you, have just upped mine and spend half the day feeling sick and thanks for saying bout the colour...... Its good to know its not just me. I hold to the hope it will get easier and as you say if the results are good then it will be worth it eh?

I hope you soon feel better and that it will work for you. Cris x

Hi Wonky,

Thank you again for the hope. ((())) and slurps x