can you work with oa

Options
elaine1033
elaine1033 Member Posts: 47
edited 29. Jul 2009, 07:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
off work due 2 fall at work 11wks now. doc thinks i ave oa i take celebrex an painkillers. i attend a rumy doc .my hands r really bad in the morning and my hips always ave pain an a burning feeling in them.i dont think i can go back 2 work as my pains ave got worse.can oa get better or worse?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elaine
    Welcome from me!
    Someone with OA will no doubt be along soon to tell you more, but I know there are options - even surgery so there is a future for you out there.
    I am sorry that you are suffering at the moment and hope that you do feel better soon
    Take care
    Toni x
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Elaine,

Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry you're feeling grim at the moment. :(

I'm a rheurmatoid but OA can get worse but it can improve too especially with the correct medication.

There are lots of people on her with OA I'm sure they'll be able to advise better than I.

Luv Legs :)
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, Welcome to the forum! :) I have oa in my spine and hip.

As for working, it depends on so many things, some manage it well, other have to struggle and some, like me are made to retire early. The sort of work you do and the way that the oa effects you are all part of the things you will have to take into account. Your doctors should tell you what they think, as some work could effect your health and make the oa worse.

If you can't work, you may be able to claim allowances, they have changed recently, but the jobcentreplus has a web site with the information on it. I'm afraid its a bit of b......r to fill in forms ect. Are you worried by your employer's attitude to you being off sick, or just worried, full stop? If its an employer thats putting pressure on you, you are covered by the Disability Discrimination Act, and do have rights.

Anyway, I've gone on long enough, so Love and best wishes Sue

ps One of the deciding factors in me giving up work is that I was a Care Assisstant, which was too hard physically. Sue
  • elaine1033
    Options
    i work in a restaurant it can be heavy work at times and i dont think they would let me just sit at the till all day.my fall at work hurt my scaitica nerve givein me more pain i ave been on sick pay 4 11weeks and i go 4 physio on friday 4 first time .i hope it helps me. since my fall i feel my oa has got worse .is this possible?
  • woodbon
    Options
    Hi, You would have been really shaken up with a fall, I had one last week. It may well have caused you to pull a muscle and if your joints are already sore, then a fall would hurt a lot, but hopefully if you have any soft tissue damage, it will get easier with time, but it often takes a while to heal. Have you used ice or a cool pack on the sore spots. Cool would be better than hot if you have bruising, it helps take the pain away, for a bit. Love Sue
  • elaine1033
    Options
    ice packs eased a bit i was on tramadol but they didnt do anything 4 me /i take 30/500 co codamol they do help my pains more
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi

I worked for another 15 months after being diagnosed with OA in both my knees. My OA became worse. I was working as a Librarian and driving into the city each day. Between the drive and work - I was in agony. My husband pushed me to hand in my notice and I was glad I did. I found working was sapping all my strength and energy. I used to get home and go straight to bed for a couple of hours! I think I made the right decision for me. Standing or even sitting in one place for long periods of time is excruciating - even when on my meds.

Sharmaine
    elaine1033 wrote:
    off work due 2 fall at work 11wks now. doc thinks i ave oa i take celebrex an painkillers. i attend a rumy doc .my hands r really bad in the morning and my hips always ave pain an a burning feeling in them.i dont think i can go back 2 work as my pains ave got worse.can oa get better or worse?
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi had a fall about three weeks ago that shook all my body up and set off a flare up all the normal joints plus a few that had not bothered me till then :( . so a fall can mess up body and takes weeks to settle down dont go back to work till u feel able to cope as stress makes it worse as well. i have oa and this damp not helping job managable so far but dont know what future will bring like giong as only do 4 hours a day and it makes me get dressed and meet people might do less and less if home all day :D . so talk to doc go back when and if u feel able to good luck hope things settle soon :D
    val
  • woodbon
    Options
    Sometimes you have to accept that work is too much for you. Do you have a sympathetic GP who will be able to talk to you about all this? I did, and that helped me to accept the situation. Love Sue