Gout

Options
annierich
annierich Member Posts: 4
edited 8. May 2010, 16:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi - I have recently been diagnosed with gout in both ankles and am frantically reading anything and everything about gout, recommended diets and lifestyle changes etc. I'd like to hear any success stories from fellow gout sufferers please to keep me motivated!

Comments

• shelleymogui
    shelleymogui Member Posts: 88
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    annierich wrote:
    Hi - I have recently been diagnosed with gout in both ankles and am frantically reading anything and everything about gout, recommended diets and lifestyle changes etc. I'd like to hear any success stories from fellow gout sufferers please to keep me motivated!

Hi annierich

My father suffers with gout on his elbow, he has been taking some pills for it but I forget what they are called, I can find out for you though because they have really worked. When he was out in Spain they didnt really give him anything that worked and the elbow remained very painful if knocked and was red and swollen. We looked yesterday and it is nowhere near as painful for him now.

I will get back to you with the name of his medication later.

Shelley
  • shelleymogui
    shelleymogui Member Posts: 88
    Options
    As soon as I pressed send I remembered what it was called! Allupurinol.

As for lifestyle changes I can't tell you, because of the other pain he is in and the steroids he is on, he hasn't much of an appetite anyway and things like that. Sorry I can't be of more help in that department

Shelley x
  • carolrogers
    carolrogers Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi Annie

My Father also suffers with Gout. In his case it is a side effect of diuretics that he takes for heart failure/water retention. He also takes Allopurinol as a Gout remedy that is very effective and safer than Naprosyn in his case because he can't take NSAIDS.

So if you take other medication then perhaps the dose or type of drug needs to be changed. Otherwise you may like to research < purine free diet > on the internet. The resulting web links tell you how to reduce the uric acid input from food and drink and recommends what foods to eat instead.

As I said above though, if there are any underlying medical conditions you should speak with your GP before making too many changes that could make you more miserable!
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi annierich I get gout but I also have OA of my patella, and like shelleymogui’s dad I take Alluprurinol for it and it works really well for me, just avoid anything that contains tannin or acidic i.e. Tea apple juice grapefruit and pineapple juice cider red wine etc, generally alcohol dehydrates you so don’t drink too much, eat more white meat than red, also try and keep yourself hydrated, most people don't drink enough water during the day and dehydration can increase the chances of an attack.
    The good news is that Alluprurinol works very well ( it did for me) so it could well be it’s just a case of finding the right dose for you, when you get that sorted you will be amazed at the results, so don’t worry to much it will take a few months for you to adjust things but I predict you’ll be fine when you do. :)
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Bumped up for Chris (Scorpio). :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.