Working with public when taking Humira

rpringle
rpringle Member Posts: 13
edited 28. Jul 2009, 16:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi

Just wanted to sound something out with you guys.

I work dealing with the public and see perhaps 15 - 20 people per day. The problem is that it seems like most of the people I see come in and cough and sneeze and bring in all sorts of germs.
I am starting Humira tomorrow and have been told that my immune system will not be as strong. I am off work at the moment but I am worried that when I go back I might catch everything going.
My wife thinks I should ask to be moved to a back of house role that doesn't involve me dealing with the public face to face so much.

What do you think and is there anyone out there that is taking Humira who works with the pubic all day. If so have you experienced any problems.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and for anyone who read my post yesterday I am feeling far more positive today and thanks so much for your support.

Cheers

Rich

Comments

• ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I inject humira and spend two afternoons each
    week delivering courses to groups of 15 -18 people
    who cough and sneeze and do worse things than
    that and so far no problems.
    For me the benefits of humira far outweigh any
    downside.
  • kazpaz
    kazpaz Bots Posts: 103
    I am on humira too and work in a community job in the NHS. I haven't had any problems either and would agree, the benefits outweigh the risks. I was getting to the point where I might not have been able to keep going without humira and I have no regrets.

Kaz
  • rpringle
    rpringle Member Posts: 13
    Thanks Guys.

That's really positive.

kazpaz wrote:
    I am on humira too and work in a community job in the NHS. I haven't had any problems either and would agree, the benefits outweigh the risks. I was getting to the point where I might not have been able to keep going without humira and I have no regrets.

Kaz
  • kazpaz
    kazpaz Bots Posts: 103
    I had enbrel before humira and I went through all the anxieties you probably are too, so I do sympathise.

I go to some sick people and dirty houses. I do carry alcohol gel in my bag and wash my hands very frequently. I love what I do and at the end of the day I want to keep going and not let my RA win, so the choice was easy. I still had some fears in the first few weeks, but so far so good.

Good luck with it all anyway and come back to us if you need to.

Kaz
  • salsal
    salsal Member Posts: 49
    you could try taking echanacea and garlic on a two week on two week off basis and vit c daily, eat well and wash your hands thouroughly with hot water and soap frequently
    have been on humiora for over a year and even when working in the hosp. havent caught anything nor have i noticed wounds get more infected etc try not to worry the regular blood tests would pick any problems up nice and early