Hello

Options
topcatt
topcatt Member Posts: 63
edited 29. Jul 2009, 11:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi everyone, first time I have posted on here although I have been reading and learning for a few days and you all sound great, just what I need at the mo a few friendly ears. Have just been diagnosed with arthritis and waiting for my first hospital appt with rheumy(which they have just postponed for another 10 days) and just wondered if you could give me some advice as to what to expect. My GP has done blood tests which confirm inflammation etc., and thinks I will be injected when I get to appt, but not sure what any of it means at the mo. just know I am in a lot of pain(unable to take strong nsaids as they made me sick despite anti sickness pills). Also have diabetes and some problems with that so as you can imagine I am feeling very down at the moment only pain relief I get is from my tens machine and heat therapy(trust hot water bottle). Is it normal for the pain to be so bad that you can't think of anything else or do anything for that matter, and just so tired want to sleep all the time. Just looking forward to any help any of you can give me. :(

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi topcatt

Welcome! Sorry to hear you have problems but you have found us all now, so no need to feel alone. Yes, the pain can be so bad that you cannot think of anything else and yes you can feel tired all the time too. Where do you have your pain? Perhaps your gp thinks you may have a steroid injection. They are good and can relieve pain, but unfortunatley that is not permanent but it is great whilst it lasts. Do you know what kind of arthritis you have or will the rheumy decide that? I presume you have had xrays.

Hope to see you posting again.

Look after yourself,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • northumbrian
    northumbrian Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi Topcatt
    All sounds vey normal. Go to see the rhuemy armed with a list of symptoms, possibly take a friend to help. Be prepared for a thorough (down to the underwear) examination and probably xrays, and blood tests. Probably none of your family or friends will understand but we on the forum all do. Things will get a bit better once you get some proper treatment. Best of luck.
    TP
  • topcatt
    topcatt Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks for those kind words - problem is mainly in my left wrist and hand so everything is very difficult for me to do at the moment. Think the GP thinks it is ra but prefers the rheumy team to make a more accurate diagnosis. Have not had x rays yet so was half expecting that to happen on 1st appt. and again half expected down to underwear exam as have been told to bring dressing gown!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Topcat
    A very big welcome form me too!
    Sorry to hear you are having to join our very select group! :wink:
    Yes it is perfectly normal to not be able to think of anything else at all!! That is what it is like until they get your meds sorted.
    I couldn't take nsaids at forst, but the rheumy gave me a cox2 inhibitor called arcoxia. I personally woke up one morning with both knees ankles and hips swollen and stuck in place and if it hadn;'t been for this forum I would have...well who knows? They saved my family as well as me!!!
    I also now have a dmard and some amitriptyline to help me sleep.
    Now I am going to the rheumy on thursday! BUT my first visit. I had blood s agin, chest x-ray, physical exam and a talk about my symptoms.
    I had prepared a list of symptoms, including some things which may not have SEEMED relevant like a rash, red eyes and a raised temperature.
    They need to know how bad the pain is and how long you are stiff for in the morning. They need to know how this impacts on your life e.g. work/driving etc.
    Make sure you write it all down so you don't forget and take someone with you because you will only remember part of what is said!! :wink:
    You take very good care for now and use us to sound off to until your apt.
    Toni x
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Welcome top cat to the forum sorry you are down it is understandable as it comes as a shock. :|
    :idea: On the first appointment take a list of meds you are taking. where you hurt or any symtoms tell them about it. :idea: if you can take a friend with you as you may be nervous and forget to ask some thing. or you could pre pare a list of questions to ask. having a friend there might help as they will remember more of whats said as we may forget stuff if we are nervous or upset.
    also good luck with that appointment hope you get some answers and some meds which will help all the best joanne
    Joanne
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi topcat sorry u r going through this the pain can be so bad and yes it can get so bad that u dont know what to do with your self hope things improve for u soon :D
    val
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Topcatt

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear you've been in such pain. I have OA and really don't know how I would cope without the medication I have to take daily to deal with it. Saying that sometimes I have a flare up and even the medication doesn't work! This is when I know I have to rest or use heat pads etc. I find keeping my joints warm helps. Before the winter invest in some thermals. If I'm having a bad day I find a really warm bath helps - I put in los of bath salts and soak; listen to relaxing music etc.

I hope you learn soon if it is RA or OA - both horrid. You need some relief from your pain and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get in soon.

Regards
    Sharmaine[
    quote="topcatt"]hi everyone, first time I have posted on here although I have been reading and learning for a few days and you all sound great, just what I need at the mo a few friendly ears. Have just been diagnosed with arthritis and waiting for my first hospital appt with rheumy(which they have just postponed for another 10 days) and just wondered if you could give me some advice as to what to expect. My GP has done blood tests which confirm inflammation etc., and thinks I will be injected when I get to appt, but not sure what any of it means at the mo. just know I am in a lot of pain(unable to take strong nsaids as they made me sick despite anti sickness pills). Also have diabetes and some problems with that so as you can imagine I am feeling very down at the moment only pain relief I get is from my tens machine and heat therapy(trust hot water bottle). Is it normal for the pain to be so bad that you can't think of anything else or do anything for that matter, and just so tired want to sleep all the time. Just looking forward to any help any of you can give me. :([/quote]
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello, I've just popped in to say I hope you find this forum helpful, I know I do. I'm sorry you've had the problems with your health, but at least they have been picked up and hopefully soon the rheummy will give you the drugs that help you, so when they get sorted out you WILL feel better, with time. Love Sue :)
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi Topcatt.( love that cartoon....)
    Im sorry you have some sort of arthritis....
    I had been going to the GP's for about 8 months before i saw a rummy....everyone on here has mentioned what will happen on your first apt....but im sure they will be able to diagnois and start you on some treatment....
    Try to stay positive and post on here during your good and bad times....
    Kay
    xx