damp

Options
valval
valval Member Posts: 14,911
edited 31. Jul 2009, 08:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi since the weather turned damp have had far more bad days than good :( . in pain as sat here right hand foot hip and lower back going to go to town in a bit just 4 the walk to try to get moving before going to work. not told them how much pain in some days as feel people dont always like to hear about others so keep it to my self lol. waiting for pain tabs to kick in so can move bit better feel stiff all over bit like made of heavy wood that has not been smoothed down at all .wish u a all pain free day :D
val

Comments

• sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I don't think the damp or cold weather helps our condition. My feet get really cold so I've been in socks and long trousers. It does help to keep those joints nice and warm. Sometimes a walk helps that blood to circulate. Not that I can walk that far these days!

People are aware of so many different ailments, diseases etc, however, I don't think the public are aware of arthritis and how it affects a person on a day to day basis.

I've never seen any programme on tv or in education advising me on how a person with arthritis suffers with pain, swollen joints, etc.

If I didn't have to walk with a stick I don't think anyone would realise (mind you I limp all the time and my really bad knee has been in a bent position for about 2 years)! A friend of mne has it in her back and she has the same problem with people not really understanding the amount of discomfort she is in.

Hope you feel better as the day goes on.

Take care.

Sharmaine
    valval wrote:
    hi since the weather turned damp have had far more bad days than good :( . in pain as sat here right hand foot hip and lower back going to go to town in a bit just 4 the walk to try to get moving before going to work. not told them how much pain in some days as feel people dont always like to hear about others so keep it to my self lol. waiting for pain tabs to kick in so can move bit better feel stiff all over bit like made of heavy wood that has not been smoothed down at all .wish u a all pain free day :D
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Morning valval

I hope you feel more mobile soon and work goes ok. You are right, people don't really wish to know how you are feeling, you are expected to say, good or ok, fine..... even if you start to say otherwise, they are not listening or have walked away :lol::lol: I have found, real friends listen, though and we all understand on here. :D Weatherwise, my aches and pains have a mind of their own it would seem, regardless, but perhaps in the winter they are worse but I find generally things are less bright then, when it is cold, raining, dark and generally mis!! I do enjoy the crisp, frosty days though! Am I mad?

Take care
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dean76
    dean76 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    I totally understand what you mean about people asking how you are and not wanting to really know this really makes me cry afterwards; silly I know.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    dean76 wrote:
    I totally understand what you mean about people asking how you are and not wanting to really know this really makes me cry afterwards; silly I know.

Hi Dean,

It is very insincere of people isn't it really? Nowadays it seems to be a phrase everyone says but it is meanlingless, most of the time....."how are you,alright?" or "alright?"

Please try not to get too upset, these people may well be on the receiving end sometime and get caught at their own game.

Chin up, there are peeps on here who know where you are coming from.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • shelleymogui
    shelleymogui Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Hello,

I am on the other end of this haha. I am the one asking if my father is okay. Whereas he says 'im fine, or oooh its a bad day', I need more information than that sometimes.

I wish that he would tell me exactly what hurts and what he has found difficult that day, or on the contrary, what he has found that he had ease with that day or what pain has gone (or most of the time where has it moved to), great to know the success stories too obviously.

Please though, however many people ask the flippant question, 'How are you?'...answer honestly because you never know who might be listening and who genuinely wants to know.

Love Shelley xxx
  • valval
    Options
    hi thanks all knew u would get it. i know when i look some one in the eye if they r in pain why cant others see it. thinking about it most people to wraped up in there own lives to worry about others . have couple of really good friends who notice dont always say but help out when needed, good friends make all the difference.even when in cyber space thanks all had walk still ach but feel more positive lol raining 4 a change think of me about 1 ish getting soaked good job only work 10 mins away :D
    val
  • elnafinn
    Options
    valval wrote:
    hi thanks all knew u would get it. i know when i look some one in the eye if they r in pain why cant others see it. thinking about it most people to wraped up in there own lives to worry about others . have couple of really good friends who notice dont always say but help out when needed, good friends make all the difference.even when in cyber space thanks all had walk still ach but feel more positive lol raining 4 a change think of me about 1 ish getting soaked good job only work 10 mins away :D

Well, that is a positive, valval, work is only 10 minutes away and you will be getting paid!! It is good that you feel a bit better in yourself now. Let us know how you are getting on, sooner rather than later.

Luv
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    Hello,

I am on the other end of this haha. I am the one asking if my father is okay. Whereas he says 'im fine, or oooh its a bad day', I need more information than that sometimes.

I wish that he would tell me exactly what hurts and what he has found difficult that day, or on the contrary, what he has found that he had ease with that day or what pain has gone (or most of the time where has it moved to), great to know the success stories too obviously.

Please though, however many people ask the flippant question, 'How are you?'...answer honestly because you never know who might be listening and who genuinely wants to know.

Love Shelley xxx

:lol::lol::lol: Shelley, sometimes I would be talking to myself if I said anymore than one word, after being asked "alright?" as they would have gone past and disappeared :lol::lol: It does not worry me unduly, I find it quite amusing, or go :roll: :roll: and get on with my life!! I know who the people are, that do listen and save it all for them - good and not so good.

Hope your dad is going on ok,

Luv
    Elna x

• valval
    Options
    hi will remember :roll: :roll: next time will make me smile lol
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Val,

Sorry you are having a not so good day. I hope it gets better for you soon. Ah the damp........ Well I live in damp most of the time, its either in cloud, raining or just about to rain here, occasionally we get a bit of sun, anyway we have a lot of 'rheumatics' this way so I personally think there is a link....... I don't have to see the rain to know it is either.

Oh people don't really want to know much do they? I really suffer with the 'its only arthritis' sentence so much or best of all I'm making it up! The trick is to not let it get to you. I hope things get better and soon the heat wave promised (again) will arrive...... Mind my bones don't much like the dry either now a days :wink::lol: (()) Cris x
  • shelleymogui
    shelleymogui Member Posts: 88
    Options
    Hehe, shout at them or do the same to them, because even though they havent really got much to moan about I bet they will to anyone who listens haha. No on the serious side its good when you know who you can talk to and they actually listen.

P.S My dad is fine thanks Elna, he had to wear one of those DVT socks to control swelling and elevate when sitting to above the waist. Dont know how he is going to get the sock on today though, he was laughing about it earlier, saying he'll still be trying when I get back from work.

shell x
  • valval
    Options
    its the we all live with aches and pains that gets me do they think i want to take all these tabs and take 10 min to get out of bed in a morning sorry sounding off again its the aches and pains getting to me most of the time just think poor person to have been bought up so badly with such bad mannors(cant spell sorry) got to go fingers hurting now :cry: lol
    val
  • lindah
    lindah Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Met a friend a few weeks ago and we did the EEhh how are you bit and both said I'm fine then burst out laughing cos we were in the doctors surgery.Me coming out and her going in.
    She has r/a and I have o/a so can sympathise with each other to a certain extent.

When anyone passes my hubby and asks if he's alright he always says no not really.
    Linda H 8)
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    I realise that ppl don't really want to know how you are when you go through the pleasantries but the person who really gets to me is my mother. Of all ppl in this world you would think your own mother means it when she asks how you are. She gets very angry with me if I wince in pain or say anything about aches or damp weather. I'm always told to pull myself together and get on with it. Exercise is the cure!! The thing is, I have listened patiently to her constant moaning about her pain and how she can't do things for over 20 years!! Now I have problems she has turned it into a competition. Most days I don't even want to talk to her any more.

I have to say that places like this are a godsend because we all understand and don't take any of it to heart. If we are having a bad day and can't listen to any one else on that occasion we don't have to log on. However, I often come here on a bad day and don't even say because I find cheering others up has the same affect on me.
    Thx guys, I'm glad I found you.
  • topcatt
    topcatt Member Posts: 63
    Options
    And isn't it always the people that want to burden you with all their problems that can never return the compliment when you need a shoulder to cry on .......... makes me cry feeling used like that. It's such a me society these days people only concerned for themselves... thank god for forums like this when we genuinely understand what we are suffering I feel sure that most people think I am exaggerating the pain I feel.
  • valval
    Options
    hi topp cat we all know the pain u on about i look so normal no deformed joints ect but the pain is 4 real so glad to have u here
    val
  • dean76
    dean76 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    I agree with you all about some people not wanting to know how your doing or help. But one nice thing that happened to me the other week I would like to share...

I go to church on a Saturday morning and there is a man there well in his 80's, his wife has had numerous strokes and illnesses and he never complains but is very cheerful. How he copes and is full-time carer to her I dont know. I sit behind him in the bench and think I would love to be as cheerful and pleasant as him all the times.

At the end of mass, it was lashing down with rain ...and I mean lashing down. I had shorts on and a hooded top because it had been sunny just a short time before. Everyone got into there cars and he shuffled behind me in the carpark and asked if he could give me a lift somewhere. I only live literally round the corner so I declined but it was sooooooooo nice of him to offer!

When I came home and told mum as she knows how much it must have taken for him to walk the length of the carpark to catch me up and ask me. Such a kind person when the other 30 odd people got in there cars and looked at me soaking wet and hobbling with a crutch.