Blue badge and disco biscuits.

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 31. Jul 2009, 10:54 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi peeps, well should I apply for a blue badge or not?, I have been fighting with the idea of applying for a long time now, my problem is some days I am ok and can manage to walk to and around the shops with only the odd sit down to recover but then on other days I can’t even handle walking round the supper market and have to retire to the car and let the wife do it on her own.
I have only been diagnosed with OA for 15 months now and have spent much of this time trying to work out what upsets it but I am finding I can’t predict it very well and the random nature of it has been getting me down quite a bit, I'm now on antidepressants and well as strong pain killers, I have only been taking them for a week but so far I have found that these disco biscuits haven’t made one bit of difference to my general mood, I would say I am as low as ever. Am I expecting too much from them?.
:(

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mellman

I am sorry to hear where you are at the moment. First of all I would say that the anti's probably have not had time to get into your system.
    Regarding getting a blue badge, I would say, of course apply for one. You do need it on some days so it is something that would be of benefit to you on those days. Still do the walking on your good or better days as this is exercise which we all feel is beneficial to not only our body but soul too.

I do hope that you pick up soon. I too have no idea really what triggers off my pain, discomfort and all that goes with it.

Yep, start the ball rolling for that badge today. That is something positive, in its own way, isn't it?

Chin up,
    Best wishes,
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I'm also sorry that I haven't got any idea on the antidepressants.
    With the blue badge, I've had one for years and its proved invaluable. My RA is very variable, some days I almost feel sort of 'normal' then others I can't get out of bed. I'd recommend applying for one but when filling out the application be honest about your conditiion being variable but also fill it out as if its your worse day.
    I don't use mine on a good day but when I'm in my wheelchair or struggling a lot I'm ever so thankful for it!
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Options
    Hi Mellman, sorry to hear of your problems, I would apply for a blue badge myself, it will make a tremendous difference to you, you need to look at things on bad days, I would suggest that you advise your gp if you apply, it will give them a chance to talk to you about it, hope this helps love Jaspercatxx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi all thanks for the replies, I’ve been fighting with my OA for a while now and it’s really hard for me to justify applying as some days I’m fairly good but yet on others it’s a struggle to get about, it’s been driven me mad as I feel I would probably not get one anyway and there’s so many more deserving cases on here and around my general area, the biggest problem I find is I have great difficulty judging how it’s acting at the time, I’m really reluctant to push it in case it goes off on one, nothing worse than getting into the middle of town only to find it’s suddenly getting upset and I have to return to my car.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    hi mellman
    regarding the anti ds, sometimes they can make you feel worse when you first start to take them, for a couple of weeks then it all should start to slowly get a little brighter.
    dont know which ones your on and of course everyone reacts differently.
    i used to take seroxat (dont know if i thats how its spelt)
    i hope they start to work for you soon if not go back to gp and try a different type there are quite a few.
    good luck with the blue badge too :D
    page
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hello Mellman
    I've had my Blue Badge now for a few months and it has made the world of difference to me. I have OA in both knees. The problem with OA is that is doesn't get better - well, I've never heard it getting better! I will be better when they give me new knees (I hope). I cannot walk around the supermarkets without being in agony. Standing in a queue is impossible which is why I shop online.

Apply for a blue badge. It's easy - information can be found online. All you need are 2 passport photos - your doctor needs to sign applciation and your GP also posts it off.

Like you I was unsure, but it was the best thing I've done as since applying my OA has become worse.

Sharmaine
    mellman01 wrote:
    Hi peeps, well should I apply for a blue badge or not?, I have been fighting with the idea of applying for a long time now, my problem is some days I am ok and can manage to walk to and around the shops with only the odd sit down to recover but then on other days I can’t even handle walking round the supper market and have to retire to the car and let the wife do it on her own.
    I have only been diagnosed with OA for 15 months now and have spent much of this time trying to work out what upsets it but I am finding I can’t predict it very well and the random nature of it has been getting me down quite a bit, I'm now on antidepressants and well as strong pain killers, I have only been taking them for a week but so far I have found that these disco biscuits haven’t made one bit of difference to my general mood, I would say I am as low as ever. Am I expecting too much from them?.
  • debbierose
    debbierose Member Posts: 403
    Options
    sharmaine wrote:
    Hello Mellman
    I've had my Blue Badge now for a few months and it has made the world of difference to me. I have OA in both knees. The problem with OA is that is doesn't get better - well, I've never heard it getting better! I will be better when they give me new knees (I hope). I cannot walk around the supermarkets without being in agony. Standing in a queue is impossible which is why I shop online.

Apply for a blue badge. It's easy - information can be found online. All you need are 2 passport photos - your doctor needs to sign applciation and your GP also posts it off.

Like you I was unsure, but it was the best thing I've done as since applying my OA has become worse.

Sharmaine
    mellman01 wrote:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Hi Mellman
    Do it - apply!!
    Don't use it when you feel good!
    That's the answer.
    Sorry about the tabs not working yet, but it is early days I suppose?
    Hope they kick in soon
    Take care
    Toni x
  • mash65
    mash65 Bots Posts: 834
    Options
    i got my form filled it in,made appointment to see gp,discussed my mobility problems,then left him with form,he then filled it in sent it off & i got mine for 3yrs.
    wish DLA was that easy.
    it has saved us a small fortune on car parks(as it free parking)& being able to park close to the shops is a godsend as i never wanted to go out because of the amount of walking involved.im now constantly using my crutches(inside & out)so its helped me no end.
    then if you feel your having a good day you dont have to use it.but on the bad days at least you get out just if it the local shops.
    go for it,it gave me a boost.
    good luck,debsx
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi,

Due to the high number of people applying for a Blue Badge the application process has been tightened up - its not so easy to be awarded one anymore.

I have recently applied for one. Sent off my form/photo and then had to attend a 'medical' interview. This was basically 20 minutes spent with a nurse whose first question was "can you walk - yes because you've just walked in here" ....... :shock: Then questions on how I walk, my balance, how far can I walk etc I told her I use a walking stick but for any distance I have a small mobility scooter.

"Do you drive? Where have you parked? You managed to walk from the car park then. So thats a distance of x you've walked" she says. I had to emphasise it was only a short distance and impossible to get any closer by car, so I had no choice but to walk BUT I had to keep stopping!

"How does the RA affect your walking" she asked. "Its very painful" says I. "So how far can you walk before the onset of pain?" was the next question. "I wake up in pain - before I get out of bed" I replied. I tried to explain that yes, I can walk, I want to continue to walk - even though my feet/ankles hurt, my knees don't feel like they will hold me up, but the alternative would be to give up on walking - and who wants to do that? We have to struggle on don't we!

Well, I have to wait and see now whether I get the badge, the nurse said the decision is not up to her, but obviously she must have some input or else what would be the point in seeing her :?

I will let you know what the decision is......

Jackie.
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Me thinks for these type of things, get a wheelchair. That would have shut the nurse up!! Maybe you also consider applying for DLA, then you get one if you get higher rate mobility.

Good luck with the application!

Janie
  • craftyuk
    craftyuk Member Posts: 47
    Options
    i can't help with the blue badge but there is no harm in trying for it.

with regard to the anti-depressents they will take a couple of weeks to work and can take up to about 3 - 6 weeks i think, but normally by four weeks. at your first review they may up the dose if needed or leave it as it is.

crafty