What a con!!

Options
jaspercat
jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
edited 31. Jul 2009, 15:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone, I have been looking to find someone to repair my wheelchair after a taxi driver dropped it, we have done some google searches, and rung up a few places, all of them want a call out charge, the latest one wanted a £58 call out charge plus repairs, they must think we are made of money!! love Jaspercatxx

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jaspercat

What a saga with your wheelchair. Seems to be normal now that we are expected to pay for these people to walk into our homes, wipe their feet, if they bother on our doormats, and trample over our carpets and wooden flooring. I suppose if they did not charge a call out fee they would add it to the repair charges, probably add it as well - how the heck are we supposed to know unless the asking amount is ridiculously high.

I do hope you get this problem sorted out soon.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Hi Jaspercat just an idea, but why don’t you try and put in a claim against the Taxi company surly they have liability insurance, check out the cost of going through the small claims court it maybe worth perusing them that way, you could also go to your local paper, a little negative publicity goes a long way to getting proper redress. :wink:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I know the Red Cross lend out wheelchairs, I wonder if they could help, maybe by giving you the name of a reputalbe dealer. My Mums wheel chair was looked after for me by the local bike shop and they didn't charge! :) Hope you get sorted. LoveSue
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Hi Jaspercat just an idea, but why don’t you try and put in a claim against the Taxi company surly they have liability insurance, check out the cost of going through the small claims court it maybe worth perusing them that way, you could also go to your local paper, a little negative publicity goes a long way to getting proper redress. :wink:
    Do you know - you could well be right!!
    Is it worth a try or would you not feel comfortable with it?
    Toni x
  • jaspercat
    Options
    Hi, just an update, we have found a company just around the corner from us, they will collect and deliver the chair back for £15, and have offered me a replacement chair while mine is away, I have heard that they are not cheap but the Motability service use them, so I am waiting to hear from them love Jaspercatxx
  • debbieclap
    debbieclap Member Posts: 109
    Options
    Hi try shop mobility ours has a lovely man who will repair wheelchairs for you at a reasonable cost I just bought a second hand wheel chair from them for £40 and they repaired my scooter for £25 worth a try
    Debbie :D:D
  • jaspercat
    Options
    Hi, just a quick update, the wheelchair has been repaired today, they also gave it a good service, it cost me £40 which I don't think is too bad, I had a surprise when the owner of the taxi firm rung up and offered me a goodwill payment of £100, I took it of course.

I got the last word in and said that if they are going to provide people with a service then the drivers should be trained properly, and if they are going to drive disabled people then drivers should know how to handle wheelchairs love Jaspercatxx