Itching!!!!

topcatt
topcatt Member Posts: 63
edited 29. Nov 2009, 19:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
I know about the dry eyes and mouth et. etc., but does anyone else have a problem with itching!!!!!!!!!!! I have diabetes which does make my skin dry but since the arthur appeared the itching is driving me mad.............or is it just me!!!!!!!!!(probably - I get every side effect going!!) :lol:

Comments

• shelleymogui
    shelleymogui Member Posts: 88
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    topcatt wrote:
    I know about the dry eyes and mouth et. etc., but does anyone else have a problem with itching!!!!!!!!!!! I have diabetes which does make my skin dry but since the arthur appeared the itching is driving me mad.............or is it just me!!!!!!!!!(probably - I get every side effect going!!) :lol:

Hello,

My Dad has itching fits when he is on morphine based painkillers like tramadil or that other one you can get beginning with N.....sorry

Just thought id throw that out there, cant really help apart from that sorry!

Shelley x
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Hi topcatt

The answer is YES, itching like mad on my legs,arms
    and back for a long time now. 3 months proabably in
    total.

Tried all the usual creams and witch hazel,
    which I thought may help, and I tried Piriton but they
    made me dopey, (more dopey than I usually am )

I got some other antihistamine from the pharmacy
    and he told me they would be ok with all the other
    meds I take and that they are non-drowsy but I do
    still feel a bit spaced out so take it near bedtime, and I think they seem to be working
    Yipee - they are called Cetirizine Dihydrochloride
    maybe they will work for you, but make sure with
    pharmacist first.

Still have lots of broken skin to heal up but at least
    the skin will have a chance now its calmed down.

I have Sjorgens which goes hand in hand with the RA
    itchy dry eyes and dry mouth, but the rheumy dept didnt
    seem to make the connection with the itchy skin.

Kath
  • topcatt
    topcatt Member Posts: 63
    Thanks Kath - you have put my mind at rest - I already have those anti histimines but I take so many meds that I try not to use unless I really have to, just reassuring that it isn't just me! And of course I am still waiting to see what they dose me up with for this.... who needs maracas I can shake rattle and roll all by meself! :lol:
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi
    I find I itch mostly at night. I've put it down to the meds. Before I go to bed I rub my arms and legs with aqueous cream (about £3.99 for a large tub from B..ts - I use the one without lanolin). I find it helps. I know I haven't got bed mites because my mattress is hoovered every week. I also have a nice mattress cover which I wash regularly. I'm very fussy about bedding! I love it clean and fresh.

Sharmaine
    topcatt wrote:
  • kathbee
    Hi again topcatt

I meant to add that I dont have diabetes, so
    perhaps you meds for that that may cause the itching.

Do you have RA. :?:

I take MTX and Leflunomide for the RA, as well as the anti
    inflamms etc.

Kath
  • topgirl
    topgirl Member Posts: 290
    Yes i get lots of itching with the painkiller Tramadol....mainly at night in bed...drives me mad!!!!! :roll:
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I get itchy legs all the time.At one point i was scratching til i bled.If i couldnt reach the itch i would scratch with my crutches!My OH says it is because i dont soak in the bath( i cant get in and out of a bath)and it is all the dead skin building up.

At the moment i am wearing those ted stockings following a THR and i am not itching at all thankfully.

Regards Tkachev
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mouseymousey
    mouseymousey Member Posts: 283
    Yes, have a rolling prescription for Hydrocortisone cream. Hope you get some relief - used to drive me crazy...
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Itching drives me nuts especially at night. I''m still not sure of the cause as I have several autoimmune conditions and lots of meds. Psoriasis doesn't help mind! Also my blood doesn't clot very well so scratching tends to cause bleeding. I'm a sorry sight!! Scratch scratch!

One thing that helps and is available in places like Boots is the Aveno with oatmeal body wash. The GP told me to use it for my daughter's eczema and I tried it as well. It really does help. I've even showered in the night with it when desperate!! It's about £6 for a big bottle and you don't need much so it lasts quite a while.
  • kathbee
    kathbee wrote:
    Hi topcatt

The answer is YES, itching like mad on my legs,arms
    and back for a long time now. 3 months proabably in
    total.

Tried all the usual creams and witch hazel,
    which I thought may help, and I tried Piriton but they
    made me dopey, (more dopey than I usually am )

I got some other antihistamine from the pharmacy
    and he told me they would be ok with all the other
    meds I take and that they are non-drowsy but I do
    still feel a bit spaced out so take it near bedtime, and I think they seem to be working
    Yipee - they are called Cetirizine Dihydrochloride
    maybe they will work for you, but make sure with
    pharmacist first.

Still have lots of broken skin to heal up but at least
    the skin will have a chance now its calmed down.

I have Sjorgens which goes hand in hand with the RA
    itchy dry eyes and dry mouth, but the rheumy dept didnt
    seem to make the connection with the itchy skin.

Kath

Further to my last post on ITCHING back in July

The Cetirizine didnt help much after all and a week or so ago I saw an advert in the press for a 'MIRACLE CURE' FOR ARTHUR. :roll:
    The were offering free sample tube of some gel that 'CURES' arthritis and supposedly many other complaints including itching, burns and rashes.

So tongue in cheek I sent for some, the free sample arrived and they want £97 :shock: yes, £97 for a course of treatment of the ointment.
    Needles to say I wasnt going to go for that one but
    amazingly I rubbed my lower legs and feet with it where I have had the itching for months now and it calmed down.

Cant believe it. Its now all used up so not sure what the gel contained as there are no ingredients on the tube. :roll:

**PLEASE NOTE**
    Whilst I probably cant put up the name of the gel on here, there are websites slamming this product and company down so thats interesting, its not a UK site therefore its not licensed in UK so far as I know.

Hope everyone else is not having an itchy time of things.
    Kath
  • livinglegend
    livinglegend Member Posts: 1,425
    Yes I do get itching, if we all get together we would look like we all had the twitches.
    p025.gifp025.gifp025.gifp025.gifp025.gif

Joseph 8)
    Josephm0310.gif
  • wendylou
    wendylou Member Posts: 88
    topcatt wrote:
    Hi Topcat i to have been itching my back, my arms,i have noticed that it seems to have happened at the same time as i am having a flare up so i don't know wether it's just coincidental but it's driving me mad, :x I just hope someone comes up with an answer. Wendylou :o:)
  • tillytot41
    tillytot41 Member Posts: 48
    AAAAAAArrgghhh itching yes especially at night!!!And the worse bit is the bottom of my nose!!!!!Is this an RA symptom or the meds im on?Am on a morphine based painkiller oxycodene hydrochloride.Itch itch scratch!!!
    Ali xxx(sitting here itching)
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I take Citerizine and so does my husband, we both get hayfever! When I had chicken pox a few years ago, my GP recommended anti-hestimine for the itching. We both get our citerizine on prescripion.

Check with your GP to see if it goes with your other meds and he may also put it on prescription for you!

Ohh I'm itching now!!! :shock: :lol: Love Sue
  • stephibabe2
    stephibabe2 Member Posts: 60
    Hi, just thought I would let you know of something I find useful which is fairly new out. Its called E45 itch releif cream. Cools down the area and stops the itching after a few minutes, hope you find this helpful
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    topcatt wrote:

Hi Topcatt

I have not got Diabetes, but I'm itching all the time it is worse on my back.

I take Oxycontin and Oxynorm which is a morphin type drug. I never have sufferd from anything like this until I got Arthur.

Trisher xx