Upset

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
edited 30. Jul 2009, 06:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI
Been awake all last night with back and hips pain. For the life of me could not get comfortable. Woke up this morning after having the maximum of 3 hours sleep and could hardly walk down the stairs.
I was put on prednisalone 2 weeks ago for 10 days as I sensed a flare up and it did good for me and a flare up was prevented. I stopped taking them saturday but yesterday felt quite run down and sensed i may be getting one again. I havent had them this close together before. For the last couple of days I have been having very bad night sweats and even sitting here now I feel I am over heatng and getting very light headed.
I went up to see my GP this morning who gave me a larger dose of sreoids which will be reduced weekly.
I was feeling so fatgued and run down this morning and had so much pain in my hip and back I begged the doctor to do something, at the same time I felt my bottom lip going and then....the tears trickled and I couldnt contain myself from crying. All I could do was apologise for getting upset and I explained that I just wanted it under control. He was very nice but I cant help feeling embarassed as I am usually one to keep my emotions to myself (unless I am on here!).

I took the first dose of the new course of steroids this morning and hopefully they will start working soon.
I was wondering if anyone else gets these sweats and feeling of lethargic / exhaustion? I feel I am having flushes and being 29 dont think it is the menopause!!!!

Just to add, my doctor had a note from my rheumy who has suggested to him that they are looking at other angles now and that she thinks i may not have inflammatory arthritis but more of an arthritic inflammatory reaction to post trauma!!!!! -- what does this mean?????
I am so confused. - I know there is a lot of info here but any advice of information you can give me like always will be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bailey

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems right now, hope the new meds kick in soon and you get some relief. Don't worry about the tears at Drs. they will have seen it before, hope it made you feel a bit better. The release sometimes helps. I have the same over heating probs but not sure if it's my age or the arthur. I have oa but have symptoms of ra but last blood tests came back negative. I always have a fan on plus a small hand helded one for my face which helps.

Don't know if this makes any difference but do you have a memory foam mattress topper? We bought one a few months ago, got ripped off, only lasted a few weeks until return time ran out. Bought a new one from A**os and it has made sleep much easier.

Hope things settle down for you soon, keep us posted.

Love
    Vonski x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Bailey
    sorry to hear about your pain and lack of sleep. Don't be embarrassed about crying - I've done it a few times. I can't stop myself when I start - as you say once that bottom lip goes .......!

I haven't got much advice as the amytriptyline I take at night works wonders and I've not been sleeping too badly.

If you're no better then you need to go back to see your GP. Sleep is so important.

Take care.
    Sharmaine
    bailey27 wrote:
    HI
    Been awake all last night with back and hips pain. For the life of me could not get comfortable. Woke up this morning after having the maximum of 3 hours sleep and could hardly walk down the stairs.
    I was put on prednisalone 2 weeks ago for 10 days as I sensed a flare up and it did good for me and a flare up was prevented. I stopped taking them saturday but yesterday felt quite run down and sensed i may be getting one again. I havent had them this close together before. For the last couple of days I have been having very bad night sweats and even sitting here now I feel I am over heatng and getting very light headed.
    I went up to see my GP this morning who gave me a larger dose of sreoids which will be reduced weekly.
    I was feeling so fatgued and run down this morning and had so much pain in my hip and back I begged the doctor to do something, at the same time I felt my bottom lip going and then....the tears trickled and I couldnt contain myself from crying. All I could do was apologise for getting upset and I explained that I just wanted it under control. He was very nice but I cant help feeling embarassed as I am usually one to keep my emotions to myself (unless I am on here!).

I took the first dose of the new course of steroids this morning and hopefully they will start working soon.
    I was wondering if anyone else gets these sweats and feeling of lethargic / exhaustion? I feel I am having flushes and being 29 dont think it is the menopause!!!!

Just to add, my doctor had a note from my rheumy who has suggested to him that they are looking at other angles now and that she thinks i may not have inflammatory arthritis but more of an arthritic inflammatory reaction to post trauma!!!!! -- what does this mean?????
    I am so confused. - I know there is a lot of info here but any advice of information you can give me like always will be greatly appreciated.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Bailey
    Sorry to hear you are feeling bad at the mo`, but you are in good company with the `Tears at the GP`s Club`!! It won`t help that you were so sleep deprived and in pain. He will have seen many people cry whilst there, and will see many more so try not to be embarassed. I am plucking up courage to see mine, but have built it up to be a big event seeing him that i know I will be holding back tears of relief/frustration......etc....
    As for the letter from your Rhuemy, do you have an appoitment due to see him/her? If not could you speak to the Rhuemy nurse to find out what the letter meant. The main thing is hopefully getting your pain and symptoms under control, not medical jargon, at least for now. I hope you have a better night xxx
    NB
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Bailey

You are certainly going through it all at the moment, aren't you? I am very sorry. You breaking down in front of the doc, probably did you some good and your gp too. I have done this twice in front of docs. It is embarrasing but it does prove to them that you really are feeling the pits and their attitude can change for the better too. Your gp will remember this which is no bad thing. I think they make a note of it. One doc, when I went to see him again said it was good to see that I was a much happier bunny this time!!

Getting the sweats could be the inflammation and pain roaming around your body. I suffer from getting very hot and also very cold another time. Everyone else feels just the right temperature. :roll:

The comment from your rheumy - did you ask the doc what she may have meant? Have you injured any of your joints in the past, that you are now suffering with?

Your doc knows that you are not well so please see him again soon if the pain stops you sleeping. I know you probably do not wish to have yet more meds but if you have some by to take, for night time, as and when, would be reassuring, I am sure.

Chin up,

Keep calling in and talking to us,

We all feel for you,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    HI So sorry to hear how down you feel, but I'm sure any GP must be used to people getting upset, afterall its a big thing to talk openly about illness and problems.

As for the letter, I think you need to discuss that with the rheummy who wrote it, if possible. It sounds vauge to me and the best way would be if you can arrange, either with your GPs referral or by ringing to ask the secretary for an appointment. That way you will both be able to understand each other. Hope you feel better when the meds kick in. Love Sue
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    Options
    Hey,

I hope the steroids are starting to kick in. I also get awful night sweats and hot flushes when my RA is flaring. I've taken to sleeping on a towel over the last month!

The run-down feeling is all par for the course with an inflammatory arthritis. Your body is being attacked and it can't cope. Try to rest up as much as you can.

Wish I could help more.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Oh Bailey
    So sorry you are in so much pain. I am like you stiff upper lip and flippant humour sort of person.
    You must have felt dreadful.
    There are so many types of erthritis as you know but I get hot sweats and raised temperature from time to time aand total exhaustion whcih may be one of the inflamatory types.
    I do hope you get to the bottom of it soon
    Take care
    Toni x
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Bailey I hope you are feeling better today. The steroids can make you more emotional. I have the hot sweats, it comes hand in hand with my arthur. Monitor your temp daily and see if you can notice a pattern between joints and sweats. This helps the doc. Have you had any past injuries to your joints? It sounds as though that is what the doc is describing.

Do you keep a symptom diary? This can help you to keep track of symptoms between appts.

Hope you have a good day.

Deb
  • bailey27
    bailey27 Member Posts: 689
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for all your kind words, it really does make a differance.
    I had good night sleep last night which has done me the world of good and I feel a lot better today. Still a lot of stiffness in my back but nothing compared to yesterday.
    The sweats have gone which I am putting down to the steroids. Got to be the most remarkable drug in my opinion, how such small tablets can do so much!

I was thinking this morning how this forum really helps people and that the last few months if I didnt have people like you lot to turn to I think I would ahve gone mad. Logging on to this forum is like a daily ritual now and can't imagine it not being here.
    So whoever started this forum - THANK YOU!!!!!
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Glad you are feeling better today! Sleep is such a great healer, I find. Take care. Love Sue